Note to New Members ×

Local Boot Fitter?

AcousticBoarder

So I am starting to prepare for what I am sure we are all hoping becomes a great winter. Last season I bought new boots and was having some small issues with them so I would like to get them fitted before the season starts...

Anyone have suggestions for a good local boot fitter?

Best I can find is Ski Net Sports (www.skinetsports.com/)

They seem a little pricey, but it sounds like they really know what they are doing. Anyone had any experience with them?

Not that this is going to be helpful for CA, but I called a highly recommended boot fitter in NYC near where I live and the initial consultation was going to be $400. There was a long list of prices for any additional work needed.  Not sure how pricey your person was but I didn't expect a boot fitting to cost more than a root canal. I decided to go to my local ski shop and get the fitting equivalent of taking my truck to Jiffylube but I must say, he did a good job as my feet feel pretty good.  It cost me a $20 tip as he did it 'on the side'.  Again, might be a NY thing.  

Good luck with your fitting but beware that I think they charge real money for their service.  Curious to know what others have found.  Also, hoping someone can actually help you with your question.

Claude at skinetsports is pretty good, quite knowledgeable and thorough, however the real issue is that you can't immediately try out any potential boot fittings that he performs and go back for easy adjustments.  On mountain spots like Footloose are much more useful in that way.

The closest place to do some turns is Mt High, and I already know there is no boot fitter there, I've looked :)

Going to him is probably about as close to the snow as I will get locally unfortunately... I actually tried to do that last season when I was in Utah, but the first place I went said they couldn't help me (unfamiliar with alpine and specifically UPZ), and I ran out of time to try a place across town from where we were staying.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went to Claud at Ski Net Sports yesterday, ended up getting custom orthotic footbeds that will last 20+ years. He found that my foot was too far forward in the boot, causing the top pressure and the heel lift problems I have always had. Only time will tell but they seemed much better in the shop!

So I went to Claud at Ski Net Sports yesterday, ended up getting custom orthotic footbeds that will last 20+ years. He found that my foot was too far forward in the boot, causing the top pressure and the heel lift problems I have always had. Only time will tell but they seemed much better in the shop!

Great to hear this!  

I've been mustering the courage up to go see Claude for a while now and I was thinking this is the year.  What do you think?  Do you feel he solved some problems that no one else could?   Do you feel you got good value?  Was it the right thing to do?!

Thanks!

How much? I have some upz's coming this week

From what I understand the fee for custom footbeds is $220 and boot liner moulding is an additional $100...  Acoustic, does that sound right?

(that kind of doubles the price of those spiffy blue boots!)

Edited by rjnakata

From what I understand the fee for custom footbeds is $220 and boot liner moulding is an additional $100...  Acoustic, does that sound right?

(that kind of doubles the price of those spiffy blue boots!)

Yeah, I did not get a new liner, just the new footbeds, but yeah, I think the total was $239. Definitely pricy, but from things I have read the footbeds make the biggest difference in a boot fit, not the liner or anything. The footbeds he gives you are top quality too, should last 20+ years, and he knows exactly how to place your food so that when you are in your boot, your heel is all the way to the back and foot relaxed, yet tight. No more sore feet trying to fight the boots. I think it will make a big difference, but I have not tested them yet of course, no snow to speak of right now. I did not ask but it looked like he has a full 1 year guarantee at least for the footbeds, there was a sign on the wall referencing as such. He also shows you how to properly put on your boots with these new footbeds so that you properly place your heel... if you don't it gets very painful very fast. He also showed me where to mod on the liner if I still have extra pressure on the top of my foot.

When talking with him on the phone before I went in, he did let me know he has had experience with both hard and soft snowboard boots, not just skis. He will ask you to bring in your board too BTW.

Just from my experience with UPZ boots, unless you go to a dedicated boot fitter such as Claude, most are going to turn you away and say they cannot do much. They are intimidated by the boot because of how the tongue on the shell works.

So in short, only time will truly tell, but yes, I think it was the better decision to make, and yes, he was able to work with me when others would not.

If you already have molded footbeds that set your foot to the back you should be in pretty good shape. This is a video of how he said to put them on to help ensure that the foot is in the right place.

https://youtu.be/T_8FGcnCGxc

Oh, and keep in mind I have a high instep, if yours is not that high you should not have an issue with them over the top of your foot.

Edited by AcousticBoarder