Note to New Members ×

Nz season opening

lowrider

The strong El Nino pattern that has developed is forecast to bring more frequent southwesterly winds laden with moist air in off the Great Southern Ocean, which should result in better snowfall. Historically, our glacier scientists note the gradual decline in glacier snowmass over the last 100 years, but report that generally snowmass increases in years where the winter has an El Nino pattern.

Mt Hutt and Cardrona (below, 9th June) due to open this weekend with reasonable cover for this time of year.

post-2036-0-46841800-1433828682_thumb.jp

• Like 1

That picture of Cardrona reminds me how we get so spoiled in USA/Japan with good grooming/snow.....and north island grooming is even more variable.

Looking forward to another trip to NZ maybe late August, it's a great place to do a little snowboarding, but really it's better to spend the time for a fun holiday and checking the place out; in my case.....trout fishing and eating fush and chups as well as steak & cheese meatpies.  Not all at the same time.

Nice pic. I can see the bombholes from here.

Looking forward to another trip to NZ maybe late August, it's a great place to do a little snowboarding, but really it's better to spend the time for a fun holiday and checking the place out; in my case.....trout fishing and eating fush and chups as well as steak & cheese meatpies.  Not all at the same time.

OMG, I was in Whistler last weekend and discovered they had a place that makes proper meat pies (and lamingtons, yes!). Myself and the Aussie girl I was riding with were in hog heaven. I miss me a good steak and cheese.

TV3 & Stuff website reported 3 skiers and a hardbooter, Andy Herron from Ruapehu (right), rode the first chair when Mount Hutt opened this morning. Coronet and Cardrona also had their opening days. All fields had high winds, Cardrona opening for a short time before closing just before lunch.

post-2036-0-94544700-1434182663_thumb.jp

http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/mt-hutt-and-coronet-peak-open-2015061308#axzz3cvPWrnVI

He's clearly a good keen man, not having had the pleasure of riding with him. Here is what appears to be him on the first chair at Hutt in 2014.

post-2036-0-16204000-1434183114_thumb.jp

Edited by SunSurfer

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Perisher, NSW, Australia this weekend. Really bad season this year. There was no natural snow on the slopes, it was all man-made. And temperatures during the day ranged from 9C to 12C (48F-54F), and the condition was soft in the morning with lots of patches of ice by 10am. More than half of the lifts were not running due to lack of any kind of snow. And according to the report, Thredbo was worse with only 3 trails open (someone saw Torah Bright this Saturday, poor her).

Bugger.

Central Otago fields all doing well so far with frequent snow dumps. Mt Hutt is open. North Island fields have started their season but only beginner slopes running with man made snow. I won't be hitting Ruapehu's slopes till late August so still plenty of time for me.

• Like 1