Note to New Members ×

Liner Molding in New England?

Jeffrey Day

DIY man.

1. Heat oven to 225 for like 15 minutes.
  2. While that's happening, make a toe cap - cut the toes off of 3 or 4 old socks, back to the ball of the foot.
  3. Turn off oven
  4. Put one liner in the oven for 20 minutes.
  5. Put toe cap on foot, put a thin ski sock over that and pull it tight.
  6. Take liner out of oven, put footbed in liner, put foot in liner, put it all into the shell and buckle all buckles on first or second notch.
  7. Let cool for 20-25 minutes.
  8. STAND UP while cooling, and weight that one foot, keeping even toe-heel pressure.  Rock back and forth occasionally.  Helps to put a phone book or something under your toe.  If you sit down or unweight that foot, the liner will end up too narrow.
  9. Repeat for other liner.
  • Like 2

DIY man.

1. Heat oven to 225 for like 15 minutes.
  2. While that's happening, make a toe cap - cut the toes off of 3 or 4 old socks, back to the ball of the foot.
  3. Turn off oven
  4. Put one liner in the oven for 20 minutes.
  5. Put toe cap on foot, put a thin ski sock over that and pull it tight.
  6. Take liner out of oven, put footbed in liner, put foot in liner, put it all into the shell and buckle all buckles on first or second notch.
  7. Let cool for 20-25 minutes.
  8. STAND UP while cooling, and weight that one foot, keeping even toe-heel pressure.  Rock back and forth occasionally.  Helps to put a phone book or something under your toe.  If you sit down or unweight that foot, the liner will end up too narrow.
  9. Repeat for other liner.

If you do this yourself be aware of a few things:

• Like most DIY projects: preparation is key.
  • Jack mentioned this already but: Turn off the oven before you put your liner in it, or you will burn the shit out of it.
  • Once you have the liner out of the oven you need to act quickly and effectively. Having somebody to help you out can be really helpful, as you have very little time to get it right.
  • I'd suggest putting on your ski-sock, putting the toe-cap over that, and then putting your footbed under that, securing it all together with a super-thin xL-size pantyhose.Then insert that into the liner once it has left the oven. I also like to put half a cotton-ball between each toe.
  • before you put your hot-liner wrapped foot into the boot: make damn sure that your heel is all the way down in the liner, and that the seams are all properly lined up etc. Sometimes adding a XXL pantyhose wrapper around this after you have it lined up can help you get it into the boot unscathed.
  • Make sure you wrap the upper part of the liner correctly: it matters which flap goes inside and which flap goes outside.
  • WD40 inside the boot and on the outside of the pantyhose can help you get everything in the boot correctly swiftly and without pinching the liner or shifting around in it.
  • An 8.5 x 11 sheet of plastic (like the cover of a super cheap plastic binder) can be helpful for sliding the hot/engorged liner into the boot, past plastic bits that it is likely to hang up/tear upon. (just don't leave it in there).
  • Once you've gotten the hot liner into the boot successfully (yay): do not over-tighten your buckles, you only need small amount of pressure for the liner to take the shape of your foot - if you overtighten your fit will be too loose (as though your liners are packed out from day one).
Edited by queequeg
  • Like 1

I highly recommend  Paul Richelson, C. Ped.   His business is Richelson’s Feet First.  He has three locations in New Hampshire: Plymouth, Bow, and Wolfeboro. 

A) 7 Town West Road, #3

Plymouth, NH 03264

(603) 536-3338

www.myfeetfirst.com

B) 553 Rt. 3A South

(Back of 1st building)

Bow, NH 03304

C) Backbay Rehab

90 Mill Street

Wolfeboro, NH 03894

He is a former ski racer and distance runner, and he is exceptional at his craft.  I have used him for bootfitting and (this season) custom foam liners (Conform’able). 

My initial UPZ RC10 bootfitting and footbeds were done in 2010 by Jeffrey Allen Bokum. owner and operator of Profile Orthotics Center in Concord, NH.  Jeff unfortunately died May 30, 2012, after a short battle with cancer.

As much as people praise UPZ boots, for me they were truly medieval torture devices until I got professionally bootfitted, incuding custom footbeds. However, after about 80 days of riding, the stock UPZ liners were feeling packed out. If I had to do it over again, I would get custom foam liners from the start.

Good Luck.