Note to New Members ×

Check This Out

Guest Tim Tuthill

Guest Tim Tuthill

At Mammoth last weekend with some of the better riders. A guy and his wife wanted to see what we did on these boards. I think I led off, followed by Terry English, Tom from Santa Barbara, sorry I don't know his last name, real good boarder. We got down to the lift and these people said that they could not belive what they saw, what with us laying out turns all the way down. Of course, they were lucky to see Terry in action. It gets no better. Said they have to get into this sport. Of course, Terry and I were told to slow down by the patrol??? Thats when we went to June, less peeps to deal with. The looks in line are sometimes better than the comments

day I was starting a toeside and this guy comes down crossing the trail really close to me so I get onto my heelside edge ASAP and I end up in a really deep powerful carve then I rail a toeside just as deep and ride into the maze of the lift

it must looked like it was on purpose because a couple guys in the line were really impressed with what I had just done

and were showing allot of interest in what I was on

of course I played it up "Yeah, thats why I ride one"

but in reality I was just lucky I did not end up having a nasty crash

On my last run of my last day last year (4Feb...we went to sea on the 8th for 4 months) I decided on the lift up that my legs were shot and this was it...normally this kind of thought is the kiss of death for me; I usually catch an edge and splatter myself but this time I was lucky. I took off from the top on a switchback feeder trail that snaked perfectly down the side of a ridge...I nailed every turn in a railed carve before the trail chucked me out onto a big open groomed red square (think blue square for you stateside types) I kept my momentum going and stayed clean all the way to the bottom...thank the heavens for mid afternoon grooming...I collapsed from the effort (nearly puking). What I didn't know was that my Department Head was ahead of me on that snaking trail when I started and was one of the folks I cleanly navigated around on my run...he trailed me down and walked up as I lay collapsed on the snow regaining me breath. He couldn't beleave the control that I had over the board and was amazed that more snowboarders didn't want to ride like that. It was really hard not to say "well all I really wanted was to get down the mountain, kick my feet up and have a beer"...the beer part came out and we went into the bar for 1 or 2 ;) Honestly I think the only reason I rode so well was that I was concentrating so hard on getting down clean that I never had a lapse in concentration...which also likely explains my being out of breath at the bottom. It is a stand out run though and one I will remember for a long long while.

Originally posted by D-Sub

badass

I don't know about that if I hadn't collapsed at the end maybe...though in truth I've had similar experiences both surfing and skating pools when I'm so locked into the moment the I often forget to breath properly

but I had spent most of the riding with an elderly japanese couple who made me feel (and look) like a rank beginer (this from a guy who still has his 87 Snowboard certificate from Stowe. I really like it when a run comes together but I look at as a rarely repeatable thing and appreciate it for what it is...good luck and good timing...unlike a pool a good line on a mountain is rarely there a second time

and that was in softies in the trees

unless I count something that might not be proper to mention here :eek:

I wish I knew why I ride like such a sissy now from 1999 to 2003 I was strong and aggressive

never was type to be going for perfection

I would just go out and find the limits of what I could do in all conditions

I have found myself becoming a snow snob and not improving but actually becoming worse of a rider

How many days do you ride a year???? a lot or a little...I'm guessing more that 30...we the mortals used to see it in the pro surfers on the North Shore...they wouldn't surf a lot of the HEAVY days because of the risk of not being able to make it to the next contest...you are likely thinking subconsiously that if you let too much hang out you won't be able to come back next week...then again I'd see some of the old guys who were so comfortable with their bodies and their limits who'd paddle out and RIP...knowing your limits is the thing here...well that and AGE:D

Guest Tim Tuthill

Ray: Thanks again! It's always good to see you 2. Went back to Mammoth. The crowd was going home, so got some more runs in. See you in Aspen. We will be in Sat eve at Snomass inn. Whats this over the hill crap??? At 62 it seems the same, I think????

Guest Tim Tuthill

snow as good as I remember both years. Pulled calf at last SES and bad boot fit. All ok now. So far this season is good 25 days and going for 100. Be carefull on that boat Gecko!!!

bob

Ive had the same sort of thing happen...and Im pretty sure it all stems from a severe radius/ulna break in about 97 or so. odd thing is I went riding that year with the incisions still heeling and arm still in a cast and rode as hard as ever.

since then...not many days on hill, feeling of little desire to go, and general timidity

any sports psychologists here?:)

Originally posted by Gecko

how about injury, did you have a scare in late 2003? Also the pro surfers I was describing were your age...the old guys I was talking about were mid late 40's ...also what was the Snow like in 2003 compare to 04 and this year....

no real injuries other than getting knocked out in mid 04

2003 it was CO stuff steaboat, in 04 I was in ME which on alpine I prefer hardpack.

only injury I ever really had that was scary was at a durning a US open at stratton in the mid 90s I broke a mess of ribs and screwed up my lung.

though in 03 of the four people in my apartment I was the only one that did not have a season ending injury

those guys had bad luck two ACLs and a ankle

it's funny, but I too have slowed down over the last season or so. I started out really aggressive and wanting to learn how to carve as fast as I could, even on the steeps at my local hill, but now that I've become a better carver I find myself making half runs and waiting for just the right conditions to go. I suppose fitness at my age does play some part in it, but I still consider myself at 41 to be in good shape so I can't blame it all on conditioning. I think I just view my runs now more from a technical standpoint than just a "slash and cut" run down the mountain. It's motivational to me when I see another carver or soft booter carving down a run I'm on and the old competitive juices get flowing, but if I'm alone on a day when no one else is around I just have a tendency to concentrate on honing technique more then making bomber runs down the hill. Guess the old adage "quality" instead of "quantity" comes into play. Most carvers I know in my area are on the hill by 8:30am and on their way home by 10-10:30am. Used to do the same thing when I rode street bikes, the better I got the less I rode and the more thinking I put into my riding instead of just going out and letting it rip.....go figure :confused:

Paul

I'm the opposite. The last few years I've been technique-focused, always trying to do perfect carves. But this season I've got a lot looser and have turned into a hoon. I'm pointing it downhill and enjoying the sensation of speed. It reminds me of what I was like as a teenager (I'm 38).

Originally posted by kipstar

I always thought he was Tom Tuttle, but maybe are you any relation of Tom Tuthill, the race coach guy from Mammoth from the mid 90s?

The guy could really rip.

There IS a Tom Tuttle at Mt. Shasta, I'm not sure if he's working for the mountain or for the College of the Siskyous (they run snowboarding camps and weekly race training). I'd guess he's in his late 40's, rides both hard boots and skis. I'll check w/ him next time I see him (probably in a couple weeks). Any messages to him??

Originally posted by ar(angel) I suppose fitness at my age does play some part in it, but I still consider myself at 41 to be in good shape so I can't blame it all on conditioning.

Go figure Paul, we're the same age!! When are we going to hook up so you can show my how to lay it down on the crap("Immaculate Grooming") at Shasta?!?!?!

Stamping out disease and saving lives across America.