Note to New Members ×

Factory vs. Ultra Prime

Guest atamme

Can somone give me a run down on the differences b/w the two? Is the factory more directly race oriented while the ultra is alittle morw all mtn or is more along the lines of GS vs. SL? Any help would be real nice.

A.

factory primes are def more race have a 167 (blue top w/green bottom) it just wants to go down hill FAST. cant really carve it.

buddy has a 165? ultra prime much softer/wider waist easier to carve and better on crud. if yer set on aburton go w/ the up.

better yet get a madd or coiler :). littele more $$$$ out of pocket though. good luck-chris

Guest Randy S.

FP=Hard

UP=Soft

If you are a larger guy (150lbs+) and/or like to carve hard, don't get the UP. You'll break it or at least fold the nose and go a$$ over t1t.

You should be able to get a great deal on either board these days.

I have had both FP and UP and loved them both. I am currently ridding a 160 FP S. There are two different FP the original or the S model the S is a softer board. Its great for everything. It’s a little stiffer then the UP but not as stiff as the FP. The S is right after the width of the board (ie 200s, 190s)

Hope this helps

Jay

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

I thought that notation was a relic from when they used to have sym and asym FP's? "s" meaning symmetrical, no?

Agreed. Those short boards came in "a" and "s" versions for a few seasons. But, being designed specifically for slalom, I wouldn't doubt that they are softer than their GS bretheren.

Atomic SG and DH skis have sidewalls not cap, at least this was true two years ago.

and what is the construction the majority of skis being used on the world cup are?

one thing that can't be argued is that caps are a heck of allot easier to break.