Note to New Members ×

bow legged=outward cant on rear leg

snowboardfast

I read an article on the yzzcanuck site about being either straight legged or bow legged or knock need and after doing the test I realized I am bow legged. The article suggested riding with outward cant on the rear leg. I have not tried this before but might give it a go. For those of you that are doing this did you feel that it makes a big difference or not? the test has you stand straight up with your ankles touching and if your knees do not touch you are bow legged.i have to force my legs together quite a bit to get my knees to touch. i have never bothered to check this. I will try this with my sidewinders as they allow you to set them up with some outward cant. The article sugested 1 to 2 degrees of negative cant. IHow would you know the degrees of outward cant on a sidewinder? The article was written by Bruce Varsava.

Edited by snowboardfast

Geometry isn't a means of getting where you want to go.  It's a means of finding your way back to where you want to be.

As Corey suggests, it's more important to figure out what will work for your body and how you want to ride by way of progressive alteration.  Think of it like dialing in an analog tuner.  Move the dial back and forth until the signal is clear and strong, absent the static.

That said, most with 'bowed' legs have greater mobility to the lateral side of the feet, and tend to benefit from inward cant of both front and rear bindings, though to varying 'degree' on each.  

Whether or not the rider's feet are 'properly' supported will have some bearing on the final cant value.

If you have the option, determine the canting needs on a conventional binding, then transfer those numbers to the Sidewinders. 

I am pretty happy with my current binding set up which is flat on the front and 3 degrees inward cant on the rear. this is on a Phiokia binding and I also use this setting when I ride my Nidecker free carve bindings on an all mountain board or a Dupraz D1.  I also have a pair of Burton raceplates and would like to cant them the same way as well? I have tried flat on both feet and 3 and 3 and 3 and 6 and 6 in the front and 3 in the back.This was with the sidewinders with traditional cant and lift.I also have tried flat and the 3 degrees with the phiokia and Nidecker bindings. I  don't know if I want to ride the sidewinders any more as they feel very stiff to me now.  I might try them with yellow toe and blue heel to see if I like that? I may be bringing the sidewinders to SES to sell?Thank youCorey and Beckman for the answers .  I did set up a sidewinder with negative cant in the rear. Don't know if I want to try this or not? I don't feel uncomfortable with what I am doing now.

If you feel truly comfortable, there's no need to change because of an article. I've noticed that everyone likes different things in binding setup. It is nice to try different things - they might be better or worse.

For the Sidewinders, try yellow pads front and back. They become quite soft with that setup. If that feels too soft, go with yellow toe and blue heel.

If you can I would get a set of 0* and 3* and play around with them, as others have said you can't always go by the guide.  

An inward cant might allow you to power the board to flex a little bit more, thus reducing turn radius.  If you run a plate that theory goes out the door and you have to rely on weight alone to do that.

• 2 weeks later...