Note to New Members ×

Vertigo

mo_writer

I've been dealing with vertigo for about a month and am wondering if anyone has ever ridden with vertigo. On one of my bad days, I'm sure I can't, but I wonder if it would make a slight case worse or not have any effect. I wasn't planning to ride much this winter as I have too many other irons in the proverbial fire, but I'd like to get in at least a few days.

Been there. If it's a medical condition that is causing it better consult your doc. If it is environmental (your body not trained to handle it)  exposure and perhaps advice from a pharmacist about motion sickness drugs would help. Skiing within tree line helps as well since it gives your body (eyes) the ability to focus on something .It's not easy to participate in a balance sport when your gyro doesn't work. I found it easier to follow someone rather than lead if that's any help. good luck !

I've been dealing with vertigo for about a month and am wondering if anyone has ever ridden with vertigo. On one of my bad days, I'm sure I can't, but I wonder if it would make a slight case worse or not have any effect. I wasn't planning to ride much this winter as I have too many other irons in the proverbial fire, but I'd like to get in at least a few days.

Mo-writer for what it's worth, I've had vertigo, or some form of it for the last 4 years or so. I had one transient ischemic attack  (TIA) and that attack change my life forever. There is some disagreement among my doctors whether I had a stroke or I had a vertigo attack. I can snowboard on clear bluebird sunny days but on overcast or snowy days I'm screwed. I used to skateboard vert and park until this occurred. I can still longboard skate and ride the park once in a while. Taken some meds for this but until I can see a neurologist in SLC I remain a captive. I've been told that significant weight loss and/or diet change will help with traditional vertigo (vestibular neuritis). BPPV can be effective in most cases. Otherwise, welcome to the world of disruptive balance forever and ever. My vertigo feels like a great beer buzz every day of my life. It's not as fun as it might sound. 

Try things like balancing on one foot in your home or office. Try recreating the proprioception that you had about your balance prior to the vertigo. Experiment with closing your eyes and walking through a room at night (or day) and brushing your teeth with your eyes closed. Or make coffee with your eyes closed. These exercises have helped me to 'see' without having to rely on pre-built intuition from earlier years. Good luck. There is some limited success out there but, it mainly comes from being pro-active in your own situation. Keep pushing yourself to learn something new about your vertigo. I can snowboard most days as described above. Otherwise, I'm in the lodge eating bad burritos and napping with gas. :)

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

I suffer from 2 types of vertigo. 

One is related to changing the body posture, from low to high and lasts few seconds only. Like after clipping my toe bail. I had this all the way from my teen years. It is just better or worse on a given day. Of course, it is worse when tired, injured or sick. I'm used to it. 

The other one is related to loss of visual point of reference, like riding in fog. It drives me crazy. 

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the responses! The audiology NP I see thought I just had a virus and said it can take several weeks to recover. I was fine about six or seven weeks after it started, but I'm glad to know that some folks with vertigo are still able to get out and ride - just in case this happens again. Unfortunately, I only got one day of riding in this year, but that was more because of work, school, and lack of money than because of the vertigo. The the day I got (actually an evening in Wisconsin) was great!

The only vertigo I've ever experienced was while flying under instrument conditions, so this may not be much help, but try looking further ahead than you normally do.  On flat light days on the snow, I lose my depth perception, so it makes judging lean angle, rate of turn, speed and direction difficult.  I end up trying to find a fixed visual reference like a lift tower or trees or something to help my brain make sense of what my vestibular senses are telling it.

I have been boarding in very low visibility conditions that people have labeled "vertigo". I don't know how accurate that label is but it is very disconcerting. Not being able to see more than about 4 feet, moving across the snow, not knowing if you are going across or down the slope and not knowing if you are going 2 MPH or 20 MPH. Once you fall, then you find out how fast you were going. 

If this is anything like true vertigo, I feel for you. My blessing is that only lasts as long as the conditions. Good luck to you.