Note to New Members ×

Afton

Scott.Creer

• 2 weeks later...

12/28 - the conditions on easy 2 and 1 were nice, but I only got 1/2 a run in before they set gates. Gates gates everywhere! 1, easy 2, mid 2 all covered in gates at 9:10am. Went to the back. 12 was not groomed so great, lots of bumps and holes. The flats were great and smooth, but flat. Had a slight mid-life snowboard crisis though that I would have liked to have soft boots on this morning and play in the flats a bit. 

I am off from the 29th-12th, so if baby ripper doesn't come till after that I will be open for riding afton.

TUESDAY, DEC 30

Fun, although a little chilly. Afton does well with a West wind, so it actually wasn't that bad, even at opening (9:00). Virtually empty until about 1:00. Kept to the Meadows and Highlands, as the sun angle just wasn't enough to warm-up (or even touch) the front side. With a sharp edge, conditions were actually pretty decent, due in-part to the lack of any sort of traffic. It's fun to see your tracks 3 or 4 hours later! Didn't see any others booting. Will be back on New Year's day...

Edited by MNSurfer

• 3 weeks later...

Made it to Afton tonight and for the second night in a row I was very disappointed.  Went to Buck Tuesday night.   Choppy on 2, the bowl wasn't too bad but was so dark you couldn't see much, and the rest of the place is either to flat or to narrow for my liking.  The rest of my other likable runs now have snowboard crap on them.

1/24/15

went to afton with my brother. i was in hardboots, he was on short skis.

started out near chair 15 and worked are way towards chair 2. it was strange to actually to be able to carve 15 and that dog-leg run that i hate. only did a couple runs on chair 2. snow was decent on 2 but it was too busy.

snow was soft all over but i didn't leave deep trenches. 

place was crowded. lift lines were extremely long. even the restroom had long lines (sucks to have stage fright).

ran into two hardbooters... tommy? forget the second rider's name but he was on a Prior.

• 5 weeks later...

2/28 - 3/1 weekend

end of the season d-team races both sat and sun this weekend. 500 kids expected both days - chairs 1, 2, and 3 will be covered in gates and kids. 

but, like scott said, the snow has been excellent! (it's also excellent at welch, which is where i'll be this weekend avoiding the mass races.)

-trent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Yup, flat light to start, sun came out just before noon. Lots of people! :eek:  Talked to one lady on the chair who came with 400 kids!! :eek:  :eek:  Found a couple of places to carve turns with little traffic, #7 and something about as long (6 turns and you're done) on the other side of the BX course. Saw some pretty good riding in the races and most of these kids are carving nice turns when practicing off the course.

post-2809-0-84092100-1453595678_thumb.jp