Note to New Members ×

Softboot angles... When is too much a bad thing.

Dave_Gnarski

**** Warning Soft boot Content ****

Oi folks,

I currently got some criticism about my binding angles when i took my board in to get base grind before the season.

I currently run approx +28 and -21 degrees on my soft boot board that i use for just cruzing and hitting some booters, and was wondering when when is too much enough. I was told that this will destroy my knees (ACL,MCL and knee caps). So my question what is the negatives about running big angles.

I have been playing around with my setup for years and am always willing to make a change, but as of now this setup works the best for me as it keeps my toes from hanging over and allows me to land switch and keep on cruzing comfortably.

Cheers.

I also have an donek razor as my hard-boot set up that i use for really digging trenches, but as for my set soft boot board (Unity Pride) i can hold an edge through the choppiest of chop.

Here's a thought i just had on stance when I'm doing squats in the gym i find it more comfortable to have a stance similar to how i ride (slightly wider than shoulders and ducked). But that is negating lateral movement / forward lean when riding, so i can imagine that the back knee is under some unnecessary torque when there is heavy forward lean and heal side. Then again im not at all trying to euro carve with those angles, the most i do is some knee drag and butt drag, toe side and heal side respectively.

I will have to look into a set of risers this year and start angling back.

Here's a thought i just had on stance when I'm doing squats in the gym i find it more comfortable to have a stance similar to how i ride (slightly wider than shoulders and ducked).

Could be an imbalance in muscle development? The toes don't have to point out much farther than where the knee is facing to do squats comfortably.

Could be an imbalance in muscle development? The toes don't have to point out much farther than where the knee is facing to do squats comfortably.

Some people's hip sockets face outwards making the feet look duck stance, but the ankle, knee and hip all flex in the same plane. A tight IT band may contribute to an overly duck stance during squats and if so, that would have to be addressed. Wide stance squats usually puts more emphasis on hamstring and glute development, in my experience.

As for original topic, running big angles puts your heel side pressure off axis to the structure of the bindings. 0/0 has the most leverage to the board edge via the binding high-back, but it's counter productive to an alpine style/technique of riding. So you need to compromise a bit, and somewhere in the middle is the best setting for you. If you wanted numbers, I ride around directional 21f/12r for soft booting since I can't ride fakie. It's a different technique so I don't even try to use hard boot angles.