Note to New Members ×

Racing plates.

theboarderdude

With the season approaching, I've gotten back to thinking about my set up(like I ever stopped :D). I currently have a Donek REV for GS, and will be buying a SL REV in the next month or two. I have a pair of TD3 SW I'll be transferring between the two.

I'm into racing and have done a little USASA(Hopefully all 4 races in my series this year) in the past but mainly NASTAR. I have a full season on my GS Rev, and feel very comfortable with it. I would like to buy a plate since I'm getting more serious about it.

I'm 5'11"(1.8m), 140lbs(64kg), and have plenty of experience with true race boards. Right now I'm looking at

Donek AF

Vist

Apex V2

or Bomber 4mm lite

If you guys could let me know which plate you think would be best for me, or have any comments, please let me know. Thanks in advance! :biggthump

There are subtle difference in all the plates you have mentioned and racing is all about subtle differences. To research them would require a lot of work and to ride each of them even more. My conclusions are if you like a stiff platform Apex or Bomber 5mm. but @ 140 lbs. I would think the Bomber lite 4mm. would be the best choice for your weight. The stack height of the plate has a huge effect on initial comfort but your confidence level will change with more time spent riding on a plate. The feedback you normally get from riding a board with and without a plate changes with the SW bindings so you might consider a combination of SW on rear foot regular TD3 on front foot. Conclusion to this ramble is; You open up a huge number of variables by adding a plate to you equipment choice be prepared to invest some time to determine what will work best for you.

Well said lowrider....that is all true. TheBoarderDude, with a plate all the rules change making them basically null and void and in place new rules. The board will ride differently, the bindings will have an effect, and everything will differ depending on where you place the plate on the board as well as where you place the bindings on the plate.

With regards to the Bomber plates, the 4mm lite is going to be better for you than the others with your weight range. If you can make it out to CO you can try our plate and probably the Donek plate as well. Email us if you have any questions about them. :)

The typical progression for a racer would be to start with a VIST (or our F-Plate). Once comfortable with the semi isolation plate, they may choose to move to a monoplate like the others you listed. You'll find that the VIST or our F-plate are more common in a Slalom course and common under lighter riders in a GS course. Typically the heavier more aggressive riders tend to be riding a mono plate in a GS course.

• 3 weeks later...