Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadows Ride Board 2014-2015

Hey Bryan, it would be awesome to ride Bachelor with you! I haven't crossed paths with you out there for quite awhile. The thinking was that hopefully the hordes will descend on Bachelor over President's Day weekend, and then it will be empty the following weekend when we're there, but we'll see. 

Dangerboy, it would be great to see you out there as well, but if you can't make it, I'm sure we'll catch up at Meadows eventually. I'm anticipating our traditional killer March/April snow fall up there and am planning on buying a spring pass. 

Hey, on the SNOES front, is anyone interested in splitting a condo with Mr. E and me for the nights of Feb. 20 and 21? (Friday/Sat). Looking to split this one on VRBO, which would be $33/person/night. It has 2 bedrooms + fold out couch, and I'll graciously take the foldout :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today , 02/11/2015 Wednesday. 

Easy drive, day after the "Big Storm" .   Started out with very flat light,  firm surface with allot of chunks.   Those I spoke with said although they loved the new snow , it was pretty damp and very busy for a Tuesday.  No surprise there with the TERRIBLE season Mt Hood is having there is allot of pent up powder desire.  I  was just not up to the stress of the crowds feeding on so-so snow.  I would have loved to get some but with all things considered I did not.  The main parking lot was full within an hour of the start time.   I know Mike H. got some and took some awesome photos of the day (hint:sun)

Back to today.   The sun did work it's way out and the new snow was definitely a good thing,   I think that Thursday or even Friday might be good days. 

They will have ground/groomed the new snow in and smoothed things out better.  It was still pretty wavy and rough today. I did NOT see a single alpine board today.   Met up with a couple old buddies that have 10 years on me!! It was great to rip around with them.  Enjoy!!Bryan 

post-158-0-45073000-1423712406_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-37188700-1423712371_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-69832700-1423712335_thumb.jpg

More photos:  I heard on the news yesterday the snow pack is now at 10% of normal for this time of the season.  WOW!! 

Here are a couple photos of the White River Bridge area and Govy.   More or less NO SNOW!!  Typically we have over 100" by now. 

post-158-0-32895600-1423712829_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-29966200-1423712842_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-92098200-1423712857_thumb.jpg

Steve,  I too hope to make a trip to Bachelor soon.   Keep in mind they are higher , colder and better conditions by the sound of things. The bad news is 

weather man says a week to 10 days before the next moisture of any kind!!  Hard to believe.   Honestly the main groomed runs at MHM are pretty good and even with the warmth the runs often are firm in the am.  

I may try and go to bachelor next Fri/ Saturday... I'm able to. But before I commit I would like to see a storm come through. It's a long way to drive otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The runs are holding up pretty well as of yesterday.  We are getting freezing temps at night, plus I think we got about 17" last weekend.  They are doing a pretty good job with the snow farming.

I'm heading up to Meadows tomorrow (Sat 28th). I'll try and catch first lift to carve a few before the rest of the weekend warriors crowd out the runs... I get nervous carving on the weekends. It's like no one expects you to make turns anymore? Otherwise I'll be soft-booting the rest of the day...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yhea, weekends can be a zoo. I expect a lot of fat skis and funny shaped snowboards fighting for the ankle deep "powder"... But most likely their tips will be flapping madly as they Texas tuck to the lift...

I'll take pictures for sure...

P.S. I'll be riding on Wednesday. I'll probably be on the hill just after 9, I'll need to drop kids off at school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windy up top. Vista just opened (11:45)

West side hard. Carvable, but far from hero. Wind blown new snow on sidelines. New snow yes, but much more needed.

I switched to soft boots, all mountain board. Shooting Star had best snow with some fun wind drifts.

Very, very busy... 15 min + lift lines, (except Blue)

If groom was fresh, and no crowds, would be fun to carve.

Cascade is closed, but looks very wind burnt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Meadows has announced their Spring Pass pricing: $129 before March 13, valid starting on March 13. $139 after March 13. 

Well well well...only $10 more to wait and see if we actually get any March storms. Guess I'll be waiting for some significant storms before committing. 

I'm thinking of the 'Spring into 2015/16'...  $499 and includes a spring pass for this year.

How much would a regular season pass be if buying early?  I think $499-ish?...  might be a good deal?

Another option for us would be a Timberline spring pass $99...  

normally, I'm a Meadows guy... but if the snow is not going to be much better, then Palmer may be the place to be?

hmmmm....  we just need more snow...

I like the jet stream going up north, but we are missing the moisture!

ok... I had 6 days left on my Meadows 10x pass...

So... As a last minute decision I went up yesterday (Monday, Mar 2nd) (left PDX at 9:30am) to ride for a few hours.

My Report...

Temps in the parking lot were just above freezing, lot was dry, dry dry...

Snow machines were at full power.

I don't think mountain temps ever got above freezing, so the snow never softened up.

Vista (Lower Texas/ Daisy) was brown at top, a bit hard, uneven, and spots of loose corn...  Lower Daisy tuck to the lift was narrow and probably all farmed snow...  just tuck this section...  I didn't like it much.

I switched over to Mt Hood Express's North Canyon (green)...  better snow, but probably just felt better because it's a very mellow slope.

Again, snow is carvable, but not hero at all.  You really need to stay low and on top of your edge.  Lean too far over and you'll be skidding out all over the place.

Normally, I would probably go skate instead of ride in these conditions... but I guess these are the days that will make you a better carver, and hopefully person?

Temps look low today still... Which at least means that we won't get into a thaw-ice-thaw-ice pattern... yet...  I suspect that will change in the next few days...  

Looks like maybe Tuesday next week will have rain/ snow...  Just in time for the Spring Pass to kick in?

I'll be heading up tomorrow (Wednesday) with a bunch of colleagues from work.  Although I'll be the only one on a hard-plate board, so let me know if any of you guys are up?