Note to New Members ×

$31,313.13 Antique Snowboard - most expensive yet.

Jack M

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?30859-ebay-and-distorted-realities&p=423530#post423530

Frankly I would not have been surprised if it reached 50K. I think that some of the conversations elsewhere may have effected the top sale price, the top bidder was evidently prepared to pay more.

This has and will bring additional rare boards out of the attics.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Funny to see a plank with a rubber strap sells for that much, when real snowboards from Winterstick from 1976 are way hotter...remember in 1977 Dimitrije was actually surfing the snow for good...With that money to spend there, I'd rather buy a 1976 winterstick than a plank from JB!..

The technological / performance gap between the two builders at that time is so huge its a wonder why JB even succeeded in selling his boards from 77 to 79!

N

That's a very good point. Although I often ride Burton boards these days, back then it seemed to me that they held the sport back. Perhaps it's the "home grown" poor use of technology which people like. It's a common narrative that Burton invented the snowboard, and I'd guess this sort of thing feeds that.

Hmmm, I don't know… 31K for a slab of wood on the wall?! I could have a lot more fun for a lot less money with boards from Bruce or Sean. I collect toys myself and sometime it is okay to fork out a bit more money for a special set, but 31K?! Yeah, I don't think so. Would be interesting to wait and see the feedbacks from buyer and seller.

Hmmm, I don't know… 31K for a slab of wood on the wall?! I could have a lot more fun for a lot less money with boards from Bruce or Sean. I collect toys myself and sometime it is okay to fork out a bit more money for a special set, but 31K?! Yeah, I don't think so. Would be interesting to wait and see the feedbacks from buyer and seller.

Yes, but don't confuse this with just any old snowboard. With a standard production "BB1 or BB2" reaching 10-15K , this was a proto type made by the man who spawned the largest snowboard company in history. I would not have been surprised to see it reach 50K or more. I think it is a great value to someone who prizes the history of snowboarding.

On the other hand, a watch for 1.5M does seem a bit over the top?

Previous to this thread , I made this post at the time of the auction.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Some people could buy one of those every hour until they die and they'd still not run out of money, so the price really is irrelevant to the people who like that sort of thing, in my view.

I love the idea of really ugly watches for rich people though. That's especially brilliant. A way of redistributing money from those who clearly have too much of it, coupled with a way of making them look stupid at the same time. Persuading rich people that vulgar kitsch unreliable time pieces are desirable is pretty close to the Emporer's New Clothes. With the watches, don't forget you have to factor in the cost of the automatic winding machine too.

Yes, but don't confuse this with just any old snowboard. With a standard production "BB1 or BB2" reaching 10-15K , this was a proto type made by the man who spawned the largest snowboard company in history. I would not have been surprised to see it reach 50K or more. I think it is a great value to someone who prizes the history of snowboarding.

On the other hand, a watch for 1.5M does seem a bit over the top?

Previous to this thread , I made this post at the time of the auction.

I understand the idea behind the sentimental value of this board. Whoever bought it probably didn't make a dent in his/her wallet. Funny thing tho - collectibles are only that much worth as much you are willing to pay for it. But that won't change a thing: it's something you can put on your wall and look at it. Perhaps to brag about it to your friends. Perhaps an investment for later? Who knows…

(I can imagine how many people are raising an eyebrow on me right now) :rolleyes:

I probably can't really appreciate it, because I'm more of a "let's do things" person instead of a "let's have things" kind a guy.

A few years ago, a guy bought a 1855 something wine in Bordeaux in an auction..it was the highest bid of the day/year ( if I remember around 10.000 euros for that bottle)

He asked for two glasses and a corkscrew, opened it, tried it and said: its made to be drank, I rather drink it than having it sit for another century in a cellar..

This is why i'd favor a Milovich shape I'd ride rather than a useless plank :).

In surfing its nice because people ride legendary boards once in a while ( thinking of Michael Peterson's famous board, but others too)..it helps understanding the progresses, or losses we made in the sports!

N

A few years ago, a guy bought a 1855 something wine in Bordeaux in an auction..it was the highest bid of the day/year ( if I remember around 10.000 euros for that bottle)

He asked for two glasses and a corkscrew, opened it, tried it and said: its made to be drank, I rather drink it than having it sit for another century in a cellar..

This is why i'd favor a Milovich shape I'd ride rather than a useless plank :).

In surfing its nice because people ride legendary boards once in a while ( thinking of Michael Peterson's famous board, but others too)..it helps understanding the progresses, or losses we made in the sports!

N

Was curious about that so googled - couldn't find the incident you referred to but did find out that "1855" is a classification for Bordeaux wines, so that bottle was probably classified as 1855 but not actually from the year 1855. I can't imagine a 150 year old bottle of wine would still be drinkable...

Was curious about that so googled - couldn't find the incident you referred to but did find out that "1855" is a classification for Bordeaux wines, so that bottle was probably classified as 1855 but not actually from the year 1855. I can't imagine a 150 year old bottle of wine would still be drinkable...

Took a tour at Moët & Chandon. Guide said how when the Queen Mother came to visit in 1990, on her 90th birthday, they opened a bottle of vintage 1900 Dom Perignon in her honor, and that it was out of this world.

I'd say this board is like a bat used by Babe Ruth. Just a pice of wood, but with history attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had the luxury of tasting a couple different wines from the legendary 1870 vintage of Bordeaux, and Madeira back to 1856. Assuming proper storage and replacement of the cork as the wines age, the wines absolutely hold up over time. Now mind you, you need to temper your expectations with consideration to how wines mature. The Bordeaux ranged from disgusting to amazing, given their provenance.

Also, as for the wine from 1855, there are still a few bottles left of that age. If it was at auction, I have no doubt it could have been that old.

Can't remember exactly what year was the wine ( it was a pre 1900 for sure..a laffite or latour).

It was shown on tv news like a decade ago..couldn't find it on google either...the whole thing was the buyer opening it, and tasting with shouts from other collectors totally offended!

1855 is indeed the classification that was organised then..it is still holding, but now keeps out good wines as good as the classified ones..

As for wine aging, bordeaux can hold up years pretty amazing depending on how it was made, quality of the cork, and quality of the cellar( temp / humidity / lack of UV light).

I drink wine my grandfather bought in the 60's that are still pretty amazing, oldest I've drank is 1928 and it was amazing ( Sauternes)

Bourgone wine, on the other hands, don't hold as good unless they are great places ( pommard, corton etc..).

As for portos/madeiras... the prices can be sky high, and they age good too!

Back to the board: Yes its history because JB made it, but I'd rather have a board with an history, than a board belonging to a guy's history.

$31,313.13 for a board? It's amazing! 100 Years old wooden skis are way cheaper to get, even like they are close to "NOS".

I think it's better to rip the good boards and/or drink some fine wine during your live.

It's nice to hold some great boards ready to ride on storage for the best days.

But it's also nice to hold some bottles of Premier Grand Cru Classé wine down on cellar like Château Mouton Rothschild (Pauilliac), Château Pavie/LaGaffelière/L'angelus (Saint Emilion), Château LaTour (Haut Médoc) and so on for the best days.

I mean France has some realy great winery, even beside daily table-wine.

Just take Your eyes now to the cycling-race "Le Tour de France" these days. You will see some beautyfull pictures from France covering great wineyards, but some great ski areas also. They use 5 motorcycle with cameras, 2 motorcycle with reporters on microphone for live-reports out from the peleton, helicopters and drones. As I remember me well, on tour-of-France we can find one US overall winner too. His name is Greg LeMond.

The race of Tour-de-France is visiting Year to Year some great ski-area too. Ski resorts like Les-2-Alpes, Tignes Espace Killy, and for sure Alpe d'Huez. They are all open now for snowboarding these summer-days.

And today "Le Tour de France" was passing the town of Grenoble, just check website www.letour.fr !

Grenoble is a town standing for genuine winter-sports for sure. And from there we can find genius and genuine snowboards too.

image.php?id=ACA2_53C98209&jpg

Yes I know, we can find on many places of the world nice things, thats allright. Even Napa valley is great. (found some older bottles of winery Robert Mondavi - Oakville and Cuvaison on cellar too).

But on many places on earth things are comming out of making business at first. In France it's different. It seems they make fine wine for to live a good life and other countless tastefull things too. And again for enjoing the life. Yes business is there too, but it's just only follwed by the good ideas for to enjoy life - wintersports and snowboarding.

Folks are free to choose any poor copies riding any snowboards they want.

Myself, i'm verry happy to have some orginal bottles of wine on cellar and even original boards made in Grenoble too. You know, a snowboard from a place where Olympic Winter Games is not known by words, but by life. Such boards are closer to origin than any newly on a cheap way introduced boards (e.g. OES) here on BOL forum. Shapers which are far away from any snow at all, would never been able to take the lead for excellence.

Edited by snowmatic

I respect your snowboard knowledge and ability. I personally would rather not see you continue to speak negatively of OES. We need to be open to new products.

This last post is a long winding road to a product slam. Please redirect your efforts in a positive direction. Thanks, Bryan

Yes I know, there are long winding roads on the tour of France.

What a great Saturday!

One day after the tour was passing the town of Grenoble, the tour starts in Grenoble itself.

Then the tour is passing one of the most famous freeride resort on the world: La Grave ! Go there, the view of glaciers is amazing if You open the windows of your hotel room early in the morning.

After that, the tour went trough a city where all the carvers world knows to buy carving boards in the Alps: Briançon !

And at least on the finish line (ski resort Risoul) we had an interview with Pierre Vaultier, Gold-medalist SBX of 2014 Winter Olympics Sochi on TV.

Even Yesterday Saturday we get some bad news. 6 victims of a huge avalanche in the Alps. A British woman and a Swiss man died.

The avalanche went down just only 4½ miles south of the slopes of Zinal. Zinal is a small village and known by some Alpine snowboard carvers for doing extreme things.

for photo 14Mp 4Mb click here, keep eyes on the left upper corner, where You can see some skiers/snowboarders climbing up. On the left hard on bottom you can see the rescue team on work. I think the avalanche went down about 1980-2000ft of high.

Edited by snowmatic