Note to New Members ×

Replacement for snowboarding during the summer/off season

svr

So I have a dilemma that most of you are going to laugh at, but was curious to hear what others are doing as their off-season (warm weather alternative to snowboarding).

I know this is going to create some heated replies, but I have recently moved to Hawaii and just cannot get into surfing...it does not provide me the same feeling or release I feel being in the mountains and on the snow. I have had some fun with it, but to me it is not a suitable replacement or alternative. Also, keep in mind I have spent 20+ years in the Navy and while many people enjoy being on the water, when you do it for work for long periods of time it can kill your desire to go out and enjoy that environment.

Curious to hear others thoughts.

cheers,

sandy

Surfing in the Islands is a problem because of the masses of people in the water...Stand Up Paddling however is great for balance and core, though I would stay on the leeward side to avoid the trade winds and chop :) Skateboarding with the right equipment gives the motion a chance to stay tuned as well, and maybe a slackline for 15 minutes a day to stay centered...Aloha

Longboard (Downhill or Freeride) - Has a nice carvey feeling broken up by hiking.

LDP - Ditto on the carvey feeling. Feels like doing cross under carves all day long. Though this is dependent on how your board is set-up (surfy or wiggly)

Bowl/Pool Skating - I just got into this about a week ago. I can roll in and pump corners. Sh!tloads of fun so far. There is an awesome feeling of acceleration pumping and carving through corners.

Dave

BTW these are listed in the order I got into them to get a summer fix.

Edited by Puddy Tat

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions:

softbootsailor, yes the crowds in Oahu make enjoying the waves quite a problem.

kieran, had not heard of that before...will have to look into that.

BlueB and Puddy Tat, I have been thinking about the longboard skate and LDP thing and might have to give that a try as it looks pretty fun.

I am also looking to get back into mt biking and there are some places here in Oahu that I am going to check out for sure.

Thanks again and hope you all have a great summer.

cheers,

sandy

Maybe skating? Not my sport (we have almost no pavement around these parts) but this guy seems happy. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/opinion/slomo.html?_r=0

I am a longtime whitewater kayaker, and specifically in later years a squirt boater, though if my injured shoulder does not prove stable enough to paddle this year, I will be in the same situation as you. This sport is more than a bit watery, so probably not appealing to you....

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/fritz/video/mindtest.mov

(This is a really old film, but still one of my favorites.... :) )

Hope you find something that works for you!

• 4 weeks later...