Note to New Members ×

Weirdo on chair

lowrider

Today the local bump opened and for the first time in 50 years i was ready to push someone off a chair. After a very short ride up a 300 foot hill a guy in his 50's was humming and swinging his skis so violently the chair was rocking back and forth. Even my wife who is far from the reactionary that i am was rolling her eyes. I was not about to say anything that might provoke a bad reaction but rather amused to think that after all these years i have never been annoyed by anyone on a chair. I failed to notice if the guy had a membership or not so there may be a repeat performance next week ! Has anyone had a similar or bad experience on a lift ?

I'm the weirdo that always wants to put the bar down. That gets some serious eye rolls from some people. The most extreme reactions have been from the older guys, but some young guys get excited too. No female has cared yet.

One older lady absolutely refused to ride up with me as a snowboarder. When the chair came around, she just stayed in the gate. We each got our private chairs on a busy day with a 20-minute long line for a 400' vertical run. No friends made that day!

I saw two guys lined up together, I slide up beside them from the singles line and say the usual "mind if I join you?" No acknowledgement - ok. I'm beside the two of them in line for the triple chair. Just as the non detachable chair is rounding the bull wheel and we're sliding up to the line, the guy on my side takes a sharp turn to squeeze me out. Not sure what I was thinking, but I just slowed sharply and slotted between them for the middle seat. The guy gave me a WTF look as the chair scooped us all up. We were laughing together over something by the end of that ride! That could have went a lot worse in hindsight.

Most people with ADHD learn to suppress hyperactivity (if they have it) during adolescence, but it's always there. Couldn't sit still on a chair at school, can't sit still on the chairlift forty years later. Sometimes the hyperactivity is expressed vocally. Add in a little Autism, and you have the stranger who talks as if you know everyone they are talking about incessantly on the long ride up.

Things like that used to annoy me, but the more I've learned about mental conditions, the more tolerance I have.

Edited by BobD