Note to New Members ×

Crystal Mountain Advice???

MN Surfer

Hello, all. I'll be at Crystal next weekend, travelling by air. First time there, and unfortunately I may be restricted to bringing only one board/boots. So the question is, what would a guy get the most mileage and fun out of; hard or soft boot set-up? It looks like the joint gets a lot of fresh, and from what I can tell the off-piste is a big draw.

Anyway, any suggestion/advice is appreciated! Cheers.

Brian

If you must choose, I would say soft (I always rode a free ride board with plates when I was there). More steep and deep runs than groomers. And weekends at CM can get pretty busy. If you hit it on a good pow day it can be pretty amazing. And if there is new snow and you have the energy, hiking Southback to The King on the last run is well worth the effort. If you aren't staying on mountain, leave early to get there, you will be rewarded.

Edited by Keenan

Ditto what Keenan said. I've only spent 2 or 3 days at Crystal, but the off-piste is pretty extensive and not to be missed. Last time I was there, I was riding plates on a Prior 4WD. That worked OK, but I was definitely working on some off-piste areas. A freeride board with either plates or softboots, depending on your preference, would let you have more fun on more of the mountain.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't look like much fresh, so brought the hardboot rig, and ditched the Crystal plans. We went from slushy, incredibly crowded, Stevens on one day to cool and sunny, groomed and empty, Montana-esque beauty at Mission Ridge the next. Wow, what a difference an hour makes. It was only about 1/3 open, but boy does that look like a fun mountain!

Looks like you might hit it right ...

Friday: Snow in the morning...then rain and snow in the afternoon. precipitation may be heavy at times in the afternoon. Snow accumulation of 7 to 14 inches. Snow level near 2500 feet in the afternoon.

Wish Mt Hood was getting some of this but we only get a warmer dusting. However snow in seattle for some traffic chaos predicted too .