Note to New Members ×

how to deal with loose board inserts?

tpalka

I am having a difficult time taking off the TD2 plates off of my girlfriend's board (Nidecker Custom GS) -- one of the bolts in the base plate just keeps turning and turning... suggesting that the insert is loose.

What's the best way to go about removing the binding? Ordinarily it wouldn't be such a big deal to leave the plates where they are, but they're set back an inch or two for powder, and eventually they should go back to the usual placement...

Thanks,

tom.

Tom,

I've actually never had to deal with this. The only solution I can come up with that will have minimal impact on the board is to drill a small hole in the board and insert. A strategically placed 1/8in hole drilled through the base of the insert would allow you to insert a small nail or steel pin to keep it from spinning while removing the binding. A small jole of this size will have no more affect on the running base than hitting a small rock. Once you're done, you could cut the nail to be slighty below the base level of the board. Fill the hole with epoxy and push the pin into the hole.. File things clean or get a base grind and the board should be fine.

Just for reference, the base of the insert should be 3/4in in diameter, so try to hit it somewhere close to the edge to provide the most amount of torque.

I've never done this either, but this may be a way to get it out non-destructively.

Get a big C-clamp and a 2x4. Place the 2x4 under the board to protect the base. Place the clamp over the binding, and tighten it so you are squeezing the board with the binding and 2x4. This may hold the insert in place enough to back out the bolt.

Then never use that insert again!

Whoo-hooo -- sticking a 1" chisel under the bindings, once I removed the other bolts, finally worked. I tried the bending methods before posting, and I guess I couldn't generate enough flex.

Now, what could have caused it? Did I put too much torque on the bolt when mounting the plate originally? I greased all the bolts (used cooking oil) and used the car-tire style of progressively tightening the bolts. Is there a better way?

Thanks,

tom.

PS. "A" -- stripped top of the binding plate

"B" -- the loose insert

I've only had a spinning-insert problem once, with a board that whose epoxy was really bad overall - I discovered the insert problem after delaminating the board.

So I guess bad epoxy will cause an insert to spin. It couldn't hold the lamination together, so no surprise that it couldn't hold the insert in place either.

Does a spinning insert indicate bad epoxy?

I don't know, but I'd be worried. Start bringing a spare board with you, just in case. The worst thing about blowing up a board was being stuck at the mountain with nothing to ride. Well, that and all the money I spent on the friggin POS Agression expoding crap sled of doom.

Hm. Yep, still bitter.