Note to New Members ×

2:33 PM...14 people surfing Bomber right now!

Miguel

but it's a little before 5 AM and I am preparing to kiss my carving season goodbye :( :mad: I blame Neil for his comments about logistics and the Tsunami relief, thanks. I got two days on 5hity early season conditions that I didn't dare ride my Coiler but a run or two before taking the Flite out. Think of me at sea while you dig trenches...sigh at least I'll be home ion the Ice coast next year

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

Did you volunteer, or were you assigned to the duty?

I note the Canadian emergency team is finally on site - what an effin' embarassment, over 2 weeks since the wave hit and they're finally there in a rented Russian plane. Fortunately there's still a lot for them to do I'm sure.

US Navy...I volunteered 16 years ago...logistics for that area is a B......no shame in taking that long sad but not shameful

Originally posted by Gecko

US Navy...I volunteered 16 years ago...logistics for that area is a B......no shame in taking that long sad but not shameful

It's shameful - it's not the miltary's fault, it's our government dragging it's butt on the approvals, and also not spending the cash to get those guys some proper transport. They put together this elite team of disaster response guys, and then never deploy them due to one thing or another. I think this is only the second time they've ever been in the field.

Neil:

What did you think about the guy on CBC who said this whole DART thing is the wrong way to go about it. I tend to agree. Where is the ROI in having this military unit standing by, ready to lend "disaster assistance" when there are no disasters to assist. Then, when they are finally needed, they sit there mired in politics and redtape for 2 critical weeks.

I heard an interview with one of the soldiers who has been with the unit for 3 frickin' years and this is his first deployment.

The DART budget could be better used by funding existing agencies, IMO. Or, just pay private contractors to do their job as needed. It doesn't take a soldier to operate a water purification unit.

I think it's around just for optics. Display the big maple leaf, justify the defense budget, make people look good.

Henry

I buy the optics thing. But OTOH our military guys have to have something to do when they're not doing UN stuff. I saw them successfully deployed at Lake Louise a few years ago - bunch of army guys were doing course prep for the world cup downhill, sidestepping the course on rental skis in their camo gear. Frickin' hilarious.