Note to New Members ×

5 backcountry snowboarders killed in avalanche on Colorado's Loveland Pass

patmoore

http://www.wildsnow.com/avalanche-safety-information/avalanche-highland-bowl-dawson-1982/

Lou Dawson and Wild Snow... I skied the Bowl the day before this happened with the Ski Patrol and that was the only reason I was looking through my telescope the next morning, was to see my tracks as the first sun hit at 7 AM...we skied in the trees and the Patrolmen used charges on the North facing slopes...

I say again though, these last two seasons here have had Extremely Dangerous conditions out there...

http://www.wildsnow.com/avalanche-safety-information/avalanche-highland-bowl-dawson-1982/

Lou Dawson and Wild Snow... I skied the Bowl the day before this happened with the Ski Patrol and that was the only reason I was looking through my telescope the next morning, was to see my tracks as the first sun hit at 7 AM...we skied in the trees and the Patrolmen used charges on the North facing slopes...

I say again though, these last two seasons here have had Extremely Dangerous conditions out there...

It is a long article. For those of the "Short attention span theater" Here is the punch line. Bob's call may very well have saved this man's life. That is "GOOD" luck folks!!

To his surprise, the ski-patrol was on its way. Unknown to us an Aspen man, Bob Limacher, had been watching Highlands Bowl from his house. Through a telescope he saw the entire event and immediately notified the authorities.

News this morning indicates that the survivor was buried for 4 hours!

In the late 40's my dad skied Loveland Pass with his buddies. On one occasion, he triggered a slide that buried a woman for 45 minutes. It scared him so bad that he quit skiing for 20 years. He often warned me about going into the backcountry.

Thanks RW for posting the link, it is important to see the complete accident report.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/C_SY2jxk4_8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At least 2 members of the group were wearing avalanche airbags, but neither were deployed. Other group members were wearing Avalungs, but no victims were found with the Avalungs in their mouths.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com