Note to New Members ×

One way to improve grooming. (Not recommended)

lowrider

After a difficult year of snow making and grooming the local bump finally stepped up and improved the grooming on our best carving run. It was only after an instructor (while working) slid off a patch of ice hit a tree breaking his leg. Nite riding sucks. It was one of those ice patches that form down hill from the snow guns where the water drains from the pile of wet snow. It forms early in the season and stays all season. Is there an effective method of grooming this ice, covering it or preventing it from forming in the first place ? Years ago when snow guns sprayed less water and were moved more often this was less of an issue. Now with the ability to pump massive amt's of water and move even larger piles of snow (slush) it is evident everywhere the piles formed. Any groomer operators or snow makers out there have any ideas how this could be handled better ?

In Canada ( Ontario ) resorts spend most of their budget to try and capture the Christmas $$$$ only to close after the March school break with full snow cover on most slopes. Managment, marketing and public insanity results in a disfunctional ski industry that caters to unrealistic expectations .It leaves we diehards scrambling around trying to ride the remaining places that do stay open for the sping skiing experience.

the hill local to me digs a drainage channel and covers it with a half-section of corrugated plastic pipe for this sort of thing. they also put walkways and planking over the burns and rivers we have all over the hills.

i fell off one of the bridges at the start of the season and dinged the tail of my lovely donek rev. sniff.

Sounds like your hill management at least tries. We have ice patches and water boils that show up in the same place for the last 50 years. The workers are willing to work at the problems but management doesn't seem to be willing to let them. Frustrating for them i"m sure even more for members.

Some was done 25 years ago when they put in one lift but you would have to see it to belive what they did. The loading terminal is actually the lowest point so every spring it floods with the first melt. A new lift installed this year is further up hill so it's high and dry but with a 300 foot vertical we lost lots of hill. I'm of the opinion that once a puddle appears they feel they are justified in closing. This is a member financed not for profit but operated much like Cuba. I attend annual meetings with suggestions but they ignore mine as well as the staff. I really appreciate it when i visit other resorts and see what an excellent job they do often with fewer resources. Especially the ones that attempt to stay open on limited terrain at the end of the season. I rember going to Killington years ago in May just to ride a few runs the vibe around the place was electric something you rarely experience today. Tailgate barbercue season is approaching enjoy it if you get the chance it is a dying tradition.

alright, first you need to understand how the guns work. assuming you are talking about fan guns:

the outer nozzles are water only nozzles. there is one in the very middle of the gun, inside it. it runs air with a little bit of water. The air is the only reason you can make snow above -10f.

now: draining the guns and hoses only results in <10 gallons of water. if the ice is on top of the snow, it is because water isn't getting "nuc-ed" with the air, and drifting.

water draining from the piles drains down to ground level and then runs down hill.

Sadly the stuff they make here is slush and they trowel it out with groomers them pulverize it with the tillers. So the bottom of every pile is almost always solid ice. As mentioned before in the old days with small hoses and underpowered groomers the guns were moved more often and since it was easier to push snow down hill smaller piles were made and as a result i believe less ice. Now the piles are huge as are the ice footprints left behind. I'm comming to the conclusion some schooling of staff at a larger resort would improve the situation but my plea to have staff visit other resorts falls on deaf ears. I guess their afraid if you teach them too much they will go and work somewhere they are appreciated ? Water boils from ground water is also an issue but the only cure that i know of is to tile drain the water away. Work is under way to double the water resevoir so i suspect that next season they will be able to make even bigger piles of slush.

Campo sounds like what would be the ideal resort . I'm imagining cougars in big sunglasses sunning themselves as i type this. Heading to Canadain Rockies in mid April but most resorts there closed by then. Note to Dingbat i don't make snow making myself but have a cable lift and groomer for my own small hill on the farm.

Nature does it best i guess.

Depends on what you mean by "best". It's a helluva lot nicer to ski on if properly groomed, but it doesn't last as long.

There's little wrong with artificial snow, as long as it's made properly, and it lasts way longer. Again, if it's properly made and groomed. If you're blowing slush, then you're trying to make snow with too high an air temperature to start with, it'll be horrible to ski and groom, and won't last properly. It's a waste of time, in short. As for snowmax, I don't like it. I think it may well be banned in France - we certainly don't use additives any more and I don't know of any resort over here that does.

"It'll be horrible to ski and groom, and won't last properly. It's a waste of time, in short." That pretty much sums up this season in Southern Ontario. Is it typical in Europe (the Alps) to concentrate all you resources to target the Christmas market and discourage or close with lots of snow available for spring skiing ?

Just curious, Any of you guys ever made snow?

yes, I have.

I ran my gun 231 hours between december 16th and janurary 31st. I would be over 350 hours but my pressure washer motor broke the night of the 31st.

wow... a week and a half of snowmaking in a 6 week period. only cost me $87 in water, even though I used 25,000 gallons.

post-11553-141842389451_thumb.jpg

I made snow for a few years at a local resort. If there is large amounts of water bleed from snow piles then the snow guns were not properly adjusted to the weather conditions. You can make good snow in marginal temps just not much! When you try to make alot of snow in marginal temps the snow will be very wet and may bleed off water. If you want to keep it drier you can but it will not produce as much snow. Your local resort is just pushing its limits too far and they don't care if they make quality snow!

Is it typical in Europe (the Alps) to concentrate all you resources to target the Christmas market and discourage or close with lots of snow available for spring skiing ?

Certainly not in France. We have 2 big bits of season this year (Xmas/New Year, which is minor, and 4 weeks of school holidays in "February", which is where we make 75% of our money). Most years there's also a third period (Easter school holidays around the end of April). Where I work we're generally relatively busy the rest of the time as well, but there are a lot of resorts which are totally dead outside those periods. It's rare for resorts to stay open much beyond the easter break.