Note to New Members ×

OT: Microsoft Anti-spyware - get it

skategoat

Guys:

Microsoft is pulling a Netscape on the anti-spyware vendors with their own, free solution. It's available as public beta here.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

I, for one, welcome any effective malware countermeasures even if it is part of the Evil Empire's plan for world domination.

I've been testing it for a few days and it looks very good. It picked up adware that was missed by Ad-aware and Spybot. I also like the "Cover your tracks" feature in the Advanced Tools area.

If you're skeptical, check out this review:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/ms_antispyware_preview.asp

Recommended.

Originally posted by bobdea

IE is great for one thing downloading linux

keep windows on a partition to run games and a couple apps that you cant live without

Yea: Linux!

Yea: Firefox!

Boo: MS Windows!

Boo: My top-o-the-line 6 year old PC that is woefully slow, but still ticking over.

Yes! Firefox is awesome. It's all I use now. I keep finding out new things about it, like yesterday I used CTRL-F to search a document for text, as you type it beeps at you if the document doesn't have the string, even before you tell it to search I never noticed that before. The tabs are great too.

Originally posted by bobdea

IE is great for one thing downloading linux

keep windows on a partition to run games and a couple apps that you cant live without

Bob, would you reccommend getting a 2nd non-important machine to play around with linux first to get the hang of it before partitioning on a primary machine, or just dive right in? I've been toying with the idea of Linux for a while now.

Guest peterk

Steve, I agree... some of the extensions are amazing (I'm hooked on mouse gestures).

Skategoat: lots of companies acquire others, few smother the acquisitions to death the way MS does (I did say I was opinionated :D )

Bob, Tommy - Linux rocks, I hope one day it rules! (but then, I supported OS/2 in its day and now I ride a carving board... clearly not following the trends)

Originally posted by hangten247

Bob, would you reccommend getting a 2nd non-important machine to play around with linux first to get the hang of it before partitioning on a primary machine, or just dive right in? I've been toying with the idea of Linux for a while now.

Depends on how computer savvy you are. My Windows OS hosed itself one day, I couldn't get the box to boot. So, tired, and fed up with dealing with Windows, (and knowing my gf's windows box was stable) I formatted my HD and installed Linux.

It's really easy if you don't need to worry about dual-boot, etc. If you are at all concerned about the data on your primary box, I would not use it to learn Linux.

One suggestion I have is use Knoppix Linux. It's a flavor that boots and runs totally from cd-rom. No installation required. So, you can boot up with Knoppix, explore and use Linux, and when you are done, reboot back to Windows. Makes a great rescue cd, too.

EDIT: I'm glad I'm using a separate box for Linux. Several times I have switched flavors, and plenty of times I have screwed up completely (experimenting with kernels, etc). Manually partitioning disks isn't tough, but takes some getting used to. If I had done this on my primary box, I'm sure I would have hosed the whole kaboodle.

Get a Mac or use FreeBSD.

I use a PC with Windows all day at work and I have had windows PCs for years at home. I usually use FreeBSD for everything else at work and it's the best server out there and it's also free. But windows sucks and all these little things that you need to download to protect yourself seems very self serving. I think MS creates spyware as I also feel that Symantec creates viruses so you need their apps. Maybe we should spend less time in the seedy part of town.

That said the best Unix out there is Mac OS X. Stability like you wouldn't believe and all the apps that you need too. Word, Photoshop = yup. You want cc, gcc, or any of the GNU tools? Got those too. Samba lets you play in the windows filesharing world. What more could you want?

Plus they have hands down the best GUI running on top of the Unix kernel. I know it's a bit more money then a PC but viruses, spyware and all the other lovely "features" that you get with windows are a thing of the past.

But these are all just my opinions.

->Ben

Originally posted by peterk

Personal Opinion: While I trust a boarder to know about boards, I don't trust MS to know about security...

I rely on Ad-Aware for keeping me clear of spyware (although Symantic antivirus is now including some similar functionality).

http://www.lavasoft.com/

I just took you advice and just downloaded AD-Aware, came up with 67 critical items on the sweep, two of the items had in excess of 1500 hits on them, all this from a 2 month old hard drive and running Symantec on the system, and I am no means a download or 'click here' wh*re by any means!

Originally posted by Tommy D

Depends on how computer savvy you are……….

My skills are a bit rusty, so I might just dust off the old PC and install a version of Rd Hat Linux I have just for fun till I feel comfy with partitioning etc. Thanks for the other advice also.

As for my preference of Mac over PC, I’d have a Mac by now, but one website which is critical for my income and another application which is also important to me are only Windows friendly. Even the guy at the local Apple store said he wouldn’t recommend a Mac for what I want to do, it would just get bogged down with PC anywhere just like the PC I am already using. When I ditch that source of income, I’m buying a Mac.

I also need to figure out how to get around the whole ‘right click’ on the mouse that I am so used to.