Note to New Members ×

burton coil

Scotty Pumpkins

so yesterday i went up to hunter mountain to get some weekday runs in. ended up hanging out with one of the instructors there who was riding a hardboot setup. after spending a good chunk of the day with him, i was thinking about giving it another shot. i broke my shoulder back in 2004 on plates and got skiddish after that. i have a burton coil 156 stashed away in my closet. (my regular board is a salomon frs 160), so the question is, should i be riding plates on that board,(the coil) or is that more of a soft boot ride?

all depends on how much you weigh and how hard you ride. I'm 180# and ride plates on a 165 coil. I use it as an allmountain/powder boardor when its real busy. The nose is soft so on the groom if I push to hard I can fold/washout the nose. It can make nice turns at slower speeds just won't hold when I'm pushing GS turns at speed. ib

I'm 5'6 and 160. I ride the frs fairly aggressively. Side by side the coil seems to be more flexy than the frs and that's what's got me stumped I guess. In my mind the coil is for carving, but its not as stiff as the frs is. Just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Maybe it's the length? My coil is a 156 and the frs a 160.

• 11 months later...