Note to New Members ×

Need tuner recommendation in OC/LA

gdboytyler

are you racing? If not, I think you can learn to do the edges yourself. In fact Im positive you can.

as for the base grind...Doug Dryer said to me "Why?" when I said the same thing. His stance is that theres no reason to remove material UNLESS your base isnt flat, and even then only if its really bad.

so...is your base flat?

and, again..edges...learn to do em yourself. You can get pretty good results with a stone, file, and guide

Originally posted by D-Sub

as for the base grind...Doug Dryer said to me "Why?" when I said the same thing. His stance is that theres no reason to remove material UNLESS your base isnt flat, and even then only if its really bad.

I disagree.

Other legitimate reasons for a recreational rider to get a base grind:

-your structure is inappropriate for where you ride. For most people this could be restated as "I ride where it's warm enough for exposed skin and I have a shiny polished base with no structure". A base grind w/ structure will help you not get stuck on flats.

-you base has been dinged up sufficiently so that you notice a loss of performance, either gliding across flats or it has a tendency to turn one way more than another due to a deep diagonal gouge. I've had both kinds, the latter only on a softie board though.

If your base flatness is noticabel while riding get it ground too as Doug says... I've always been able to make teeny amounts of edge-high not noticable by adding a little base bevel and I actually don't mind a board that's a little base-high.

With multiple boards, I've gotten too lazy to sharpen all the edges myself. If I'm going to pay someone to do it, I want them to do a better job than what I'm capable of.

As for a base grind, the bases on my two Oxygen Protons seem to be a little concave. I don't notice it yet when I'm riding, but I want to be pro-active.

So are there any good shops in the L.A./OC area or Big Bear?

Originally posted by Mike T

I disagree.

but mike...doug didnt say STRUCTURE wasnt necessary, only that a base grind might not be. You dont need to remove much material to impart structure to a base. A riller bar or even the edge of a file can do this (not sayin the file thing is the best idea but it CAN cut grooves in a base)

so...no need to REMOVE material unless necessary. Structure is entirely different

Originally posted by D-Sub

but mike...doug didnt say STRUCTURE wasnt necessary, only that a base grind might not be. You dont need to remove much material to impart structure to a base. A riller bar or even the edge of a file can do this (not sayin the file thing is the best idea but it CAN cut grooves in a base)

so...no need to REMOVE material unless necessary. Structure is entirely different

Have you ever structured using a riller bar? I have. It creates the structure as much by pressing as it does by cutting. It doesn't last very long. I find I have to redo it every other time out. If you want a good structure that will last you a season, you'll want a stone grind structure. IMHO a good structure is *more than* worth removing a little base/edge material.

Now maybe Doug doesn't think much of the tuners in the Bend area? I am less than thrilled with the choices in Portland, I'll be sending my good sticks to SkiDoc after seeing the fine job he did on my new Madd.

Tyler if you decide to do it yourself Stefan Kalen (not sure on spelling) on the corner of PCH and Tustin has a pretty good selection of tunning stuff and its in your backyard! They are a little pricey but you can touch the merchandice before you buy, unlike ordering online or mail order. Last year I bought some files and stones that have allowed me to keep my edges near perfect. As for the base, I haven't found anyone in the area that really knows their stuff. Lets make some turns this year.

Corner of PCH and Tustin... I know that shop. It's been through a few name changes in the past 5 years or so. I've had that shop sharpen my edges before. I've got the tools to do my edges, but I always procrastinate.

GaryJ, I'm going to Snow Summit on Mon. , Jan. 17 (MLK day). I get a free lift ticket that day (my B-day). You should join me. I'll definately be riding my carving board in the morning. I usually switch to my freestyle setup after lunch and hit the snowboard park.

I was at Snow Summit yesterday and it was the best carving conditions I ever had in SoCal. I stayed on my carving board the whole day (Oxygen Proton 164 GS). I didn't see any other carvers on the mountain.

Yea, it was formerly Newport Ski Company which struggled in its last several years of business before being bought out by Stephan Kalen (from Colorado). Summit sounds fun, but I’m not sure on the work schedule. Crowds could be an issue with the carving during those three days. Any Mammoth trips planned? Let me know the carving calendar and we’ll make it happen.

GaryJ, I went to Summit early on New Year's day, and I didn't have any problems with the crowd, even though the resorts got sold-out. After Miracle Mile started to get crowded, I moved over to the chairs by the Wall and had plenty of room for carving. MLK day shouldn't be any worse.

I'm actually trying to get some friends together for an impromptu trip to Mammoth on Monday night. I usually don't plan my Mammoth trips too far in advance.

I'll email you when it gets closer to MLK day to see if you're going to make it out.

I'm actually trying to get some friends together for an impromptu trip to Mammoth on Monday night. I usually don't plan my Mammoth trips too far in advance.

MLK Monday or this coming Monday the 10th? It looks like a clearing in the storm Wed and Thurs. I will possibly be driving up this Tues pm. and staying until Thurs pm.