Note to New Members ×

UPZ hardware?

scrutton

Well, late this afternoon, I thought something felt odd on my rear boot/binding on one of my last runs, but couldn't place what it was. When I removed my boots, I found that the black upper tongue was only held on by one bolt.

So, I need to find one of those low height bolts that has the Torx screw head in stainless. I guess that the head isn't critical. Anyone been through this and found out where they are available from?

Should I contact Dan Yoja?

you mean like this link: http://www.upzboots.com/parts.html

It has happened to me before, and I went to a ski shop. The guy was cool to give me spare parts and the notches that would fit. I posted about this a long while back when mine broke. However, my search-fu isn't yielding the result I'm looking for because I did post photos of it here. :-/

Edited by LeeW
typo

I went to a ski shop and some random bolt fit. I think it's an M5 that is ~1-1.5cm long with a philips head.Torx heads suck anyway. :)
Thanks Gtanner. I'll check the local hardware store. Philips head and some locktite sounds better than trying to mail order a bolt.Paul

Loctite has a minimum fastener size it works for, and I think these are a little small. Vibra-tite works well for me. I got a little tube from Amazon (couldn't find it at the usual local stores). When this happened to me I used some spare TD3 hardware but that was with my RTRs. not sure if RC10s are the same. I've also had the nut that holds the spring come off and found a second nut on there keeps it all together -- no problems since.

The easiest to find metric cap screws are usually of the allen head variety. Loctite thread locker for fasteners under 1/4" is of the color purple. check the Loctite website, there is program of sorts for narrowing down which product you want. I don't think 242 blue is too strong though, it's considered removable strength for 1/4"-3/4".

I tried to find the screws in local store, and failed, they had 12mm long socket cap ones but after installing one, I can easily feel it on the inside of the shell when I run my hand past it. I could cut them down, but life's too short for that today.

I just placed an order for these from Mcmaster

Metric 316 SS Flat Head Socket Cap Screw M6 Size, 10mm Length, 1.00mm Pitch, packs of 50

Item # is 93395A351

$11.08 for 50 + shipping.

I noticed that there is also a lock washer underneath the tongue screws. These are an angled lock-washer, fairly obscure part. I was able to source them from [h=1]stainlessa<wbr>utomotivef<wbr>astenings.<wbr>co.uk[/h]

Countersunk Shakeproof Washers M 6 DIN 6798 form V

Fun fun fun.

I noticed that there is also a lock washer underneath the tongue screws. These are an angled lock-washer, fairly obscure part. I was able to source them from stainlessa<wbr>utomotivef<wbr>astenings.<wbr>co.uk

Countersunk Shakeproof Washers M 6 DIN 6798 form V

Fun fun fun.

hi SCRUTTON

if you intend to use an ordinary bolt then you can just turn the inverted washer inside out and the replacement phillips (or whatever) bolt you substitute will sit flush with the top of the flat part of the underside of the washer. the salutary side effect is the inverted surface of the reversed washer will DIG a little bit into the plastic of your boot to give you a little extra grip. it looks ugly because it sticks out so much but it's probably more secure that the original unreversed upz washer and upz bolt.

i am a couple of hours away from my boots so i can't post a photo yet but will do so tomorrow or after i return from snowboarding this weekend. contact BOL member BLUEB for more info as he ended up doing the entire repair for me as i was too busy playing with his dogs.

p.s. i have since bought a replacement from DAN YOJA but am not going to bother replacing BLUEB's makeshift repair since it is more secure than the original bolt!

here's what the repair looks like if you invert the washer (eliminating the need for the angled lockwasher.)

post-7030-141842384663_thumb.jpg

the first pic shows the ugly appearance of the non-flush bolt due to the inverted washer.

the second pic shows how the inverted washer (closest to the dog) looks compared to the properly oriented washer (furthest from the dog.)

it just kinda blends in and becomes a non-issue IMHO.

post-7030-141842384656_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...