Note to New Members ×

So who here has tried/owns a new Jasey Jay Snowboards snowboard?

purpletiesto

Hey there fellow BOLers, I'm looking at getting a new hardboot setup and I'm really considering one of the new Jasey Jay Snowboards snowboard. I just wanted to see if anyone here has tried them and what you thought of them?

I am just a freecarver, not a racer. I'm 6"3/190cm tall, 170lb/77kg heavy. Been snowboarding for 13 years and hardbooting for 3 I believe. I get 30-40 days in per season I guess. I just want to try something different. I'd love to try a plate, I'd also love to try a race inspired/oriented snowboard. I'm pretty sure I know the length I want and I have spoken to a few (maybe 15?) people, including Hansjurg Kessler and Jasey Jay himself and I'm currently looking at:

Kessler 168 + Apex Race V2

Jasey Jay Whistler 170 + (carbon) interface

I can't try either of these before I buy, but will be buying something within a few months. Any comments or thoughts would be more than greatly appreciated :biggthump

Compare with kessler and sigi grabner, great walks into a turn and keeps the arc plate allows some mistakes, digs into the soft snow, I recommend it, from all the best snowboard for me, one minus

There is not a push out of the turn as kessler, but it needs more for racing

I own and ride two JJA Boards with interface. Have ridden them for two full days now. Still, just have to dial in the best setup of my interface in comparison to the given snowconditions. You can't go wrong with the Kessler with Apex or the JJA Board. Both are well made combo's for your weight. Beware they are both racingsticks. No freecarvers. So the boards are not made for rebound but for control and energy putting into the board. I found the ride of the JJA boards very neutral. Icegrip good, ride is predictable, ridingfailures aren't being punished, so you can make some (riding) mistakes. I rode the boards without any good training in front, well I have noticed that on the glacier mountain at an altitude of 3400 meters: my legs were finished after a three days ride.

...Beware they are both racingsticks. No freecarvers.

Looking at the specs, that Kessler 168 ia as close to a freecarver as it gets... Certainly not a race stick (unless a baby GS :) ).

I don't know what other boards OP has and HB experience, profile states softies only... This could influence the board choice too. Boot size too...

Looking at the specs, that Kessler 168 ia as close to a freecarver as it gets... Certainly not a race stick (unless a baby GS :) ).

I don't know what other boards OP has and HB experience, profile states softies only... This could influence the board choice too. Boot size too...

I mean with that, you mustn't have the expectations from these boards that you are be pushed out in a turn because of the rebound of the board. You get just the rebound you have been putting into it (nothing more, JJA boards, my personal experience for what its worth and I like those boards).

Hi there, thanks for all the replies.

Yes the 168 is more free carve oriented according to Kessler! So I'd love to try one, but then again, who wouldn't.

Thanks so much for the comments so far. If anyone has anything to add or any more experiences on either of these boards, it would be great and much appreciated to hear from you!!

I've got a Coiler 176 AM. Love it so much, but I'd love to add one extra board, something totally different, with a plate hopefully.

Experience wise I've ridden probably 100 days in 3 years in hardboots as a guesstimate. Snowboarded for 10 years before that in softies. I guess I'd be intermediate at best.

I do not know anything about Jasey Jay boards unfortunately. Hopefully this thread will offer some insight. I certainly assume they are top notch and look forward to trying one at some point.

I have had a 162 and 168 Kessler for the last couple of years. I just got a 175 SG and am really impressed. The boards are not a perfect comparison (Kessler SL and all around to an SG GS) but the SG has more torsional stiffness than my Kesslers which seems to mean more edge grip at speed but worse low speed handling. I like the SG enough that I am considering adding an SG SL board.

Have you considered a 170 SG with an SG plate?

You know what, I had considered it and I just wasn't sure if there was a board that I would be good enough to ride. They're all very racey, whereas the 168 Kessler was recommended to me by Mr. Kessler as it apparently is their more freecarve oriented model, even though it can be used for racing too, if you wish. Apparently it's an allround board or something like this.

Regarding the SGs I just don't know what would really suit, although it was under consideration at one time, but it just seemed easier to go the other way...

I have the 162 SL board, I only have a couple mornings on it. I've just been havin so much fun on the 180 ish FC boards I own, I havn't had a lot of chances to ride it (I know it's a crime)

maybe it's my lack of skill but I'm still struggling with a plate on my 188 Coiler Carbon Monster (I have my Coiler Plankenschtein set up basically identically to CM with F2 S Flex plates and I ride the sh*t out of that thing with confidence), I still feel like I'm fighting that board.... On my JJA SL board with his plate that is not the case. (It could be the shorter length) It turns easily and intuitively. Superb edge hold and yes, crazy fast.

I've owned Kessler's, SG, Apex etc I think the JJA rides as good as all of them and maybe better. The first SG i had was equipped with F2 S flex plates. I had a Vist plate on the second, the Kessler was set up with F2 S Flex plates.

I do need to spend more time on it to give better feedback but that's what I got for ya so far. The mornings I rode it it was cold and I won't say icy but but very firm where a guy def wanted to be on his game. I never sketched out once when I rode the jja

I was going to sell my JJ but I decided against it. It's a board I'm happy to have in the quiver and look forward to riding it more.

It should be noted I am a free carver, with no racing aspirations whatsoever. I respect the hell outta those guys don't get me wrong.

I think you'd be pumped with one of his whips.

My meagre $0.02

K

Edited by big canuck

You know what, I had considered it and I just wasn't sure if there was a board that I would be good enough to ride. They're all very racey, whereas the 168 Kessler was recommended to me by Mr. Kessler as it apparently is their more freecarve oriented model, even though it can be used for racing too, if you wish. Apparently it's an allround board or something like this.

Regarding the SGs I just don't know what would really suit, although it was under consideration at one time, but it just seemed easier to go the other way...

I have not ridden the 170 SG, so I cannot say how it compares to my 168 Kessler or my 175 SG. It could definitely be more aggressive than the 168 Kessler. I am pretty sure it is the SG freecarve model though. The 168 Kessler is friendly, but it is still a Kessler and you will want to stay on top of it (it knows if you are afraid).

I don't have enough time on my JJA (SL) to give a real review, but it is very intuitive.

The plate system works. After taking a few years off I found myself rocketing along at speeds my legs had a hard time keeping up with, but the board just flowed. Not unlike a Kessler (not a 1:1- my Kessler was a GS deck).

I guess I'm leaning toward a JJA board/interface. JJ replies to my annoying emails on a daily basis, everyone else takes over a week. This alone makes me want to buy from him. The thing is, he helped develop the Apex plates and Kessler boards so I have confidence in him that he can build something and build on its flaws and use its strengths at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok short story long...

I rode the JJA SL board three afternoons ago at Panorama

Quick background, I rode Panorama prob 3 weeks ago and the snow three days ago was quite different. They hadn't had any new snow to speak of that I saw on their site leading up to my latest trip. I had a blast the last time i was there even though the conditions three weeks ago were def not what I would consider "hero" snow. Last trip I rode the AP Metal Burner and the 183 Oxess the most.

FFWD to three days ago, started the morning a little nervous just hearing the snow under the skiers and snowboarders from the chair and it was obviously firmer from the last session and I was riding by myself.

Brought two boards out that I'm pretty comfortable on that morning... Did one run on board "a" and just wasn't feeling it.... I hadn't ridden that board in prob a year but have had some great days on it in the past. Put it in the rack and went to board "b" spent the rest of the morning riding that one and it was better. Could have been sharper edges, I'd ridden it more this year, something....

I was still doing 5 -7 linked turns then I'd just chicken out and let my turn go uphill instead of committing to the next turn going down.

Went and had lunch, did some soul searching (drank a couple beer) Really wanted to ride the JJA but if I wasn't having a good day on boards I knew I really liked, how was it going to work on a SL board I wasn't that familiar with? I kept thinking about all the claimed extra edge hold boards with plates added and thought what the hell.

Went to the room grabbed the jja and strapped in. Pretty tentative the first bit of the top pitch. I could tell as I was edging down, the edges were super sharp (for the record, Mike Lindsay in Banff kicks ass at board tuning) got to the top of the second pitch and the first couple turns were pretty darn good.... Really easy to bring the board around going frontside and toeside, great edge hold, stable... Keep in mind i'm a free carver all the way, not race style at all. Bigger speed check style turns.

I've ridden a few different isolation plates on mostly longer FC boards and struggled with that loss of feel of the board that I find pretty unnerving.... Turn initiation, low speed stability.... i find gets lost to some degree.

That was not the sensation I got on the JJA. Really easy to "hockey around" (quoting one of the guru's of our sport, an American too!!) turn initiation was no problem at all. Eureka. I'm going to try another plate I have and put it on a shorter board and see how that goes.....

Started to open things up as i got more comfortable, The board had/has amazing edge hold, I thought it was clearly better than the boards I rode in the am I kid you not.

It was the afternoon and I was riding on a busier run so it was getting a bit chopped up and bumpy. The plate def smoothed things out. I really really enjoyed it. I never sketched out once unless I wasn't riding technically sound. No more uphill speed checks, not one (unless I was totally gassed)

Yes, base is F A S T!!!!

I think you can be a little lazier on the Fc board vs a SL board so a guy has to be a bit more "on it"/technically sound with the SL board.

I'm not sure I have the plate set up 100% right but everything seemed be going ok so I think it's all good.

I prob did 10 - 12 runs on it and loved every minute of it.

Sorry I didn't post sooner.

I'm thinking I'm missing something this post may evolve....

Let me know if you have any questions comments

Thx

K

Edited by big canuck

Got the same experience as written here above with the JJ SL board (I have a mixed Cypress - Whistler prototype with high nose)have spoken to Jasey Jay to dial in my board - interface combo, I had a blast on the board for 4 full days. It's definately a keeper. I ride the board with full confidence, you have to be full at it concerning concentration, it has a darn fast base. Ice grip is superb without being aggressive, on steep icy pists it holds like glue. Beware this board is not for sissies, only for people with some muscles and no fear riding fast steep icy pists. Otherwise you'd better take a Molina or Whistler or something. The sides were done at 88 - 0.5 . Rode them with F2 CNC Race bindings (huge lift in the back binding, little lift in the front), Red Deeluxe track 700 with yellow springs BTS - Swix red wax (didn't wax the board for 4 days, was still fast enough to overtake some skiers on flat tracks). I am in a custom Interface plate for my JJ GS board now (Cypress prototype). If you have questions just email me through my profile, better: phone Jasey Jay, you will get all the answers you wanna know (very nice guy to talk to). He is in Europe right now so be patient.

post-105-141842386643_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hans

5'11" 175lbs, been riding Prior metals for the last 5 years or so. Mostly a 173. JCJ had me try the 164 Whistler and I have been on it all season. Super edge hold and fast. This is my first experience with a plate. I found that there was an adjustment period to get used to but once there I was sold. Tried the Prior out a few weeks ago and was amazed at how much more of the irregularities and bumps I was feeling. JCJ dropped the board off for me , helped set it up and gave me a crash course on stance and set up. Super nice guy and great boards. I will probably pick up a 173 or larger from him as we'll.