Note to New Members ×

Anyone use an intec heel on the 'wrong' foot?

Gabe T

Does anyone use a left intec heel on the right boot or vice versa? (This would require drilling a hole in the opposite side of the boot to fit the cable.)

From a design perspective, is there any advantage to have the cable on the outside of the boot? From an ergonomic perspective, it seems like it may work just as well if not better to have the cable on the inside for your rear boot. Given the the correct method to disengage the heel is to put weight on the rear heel prior to pulling the cable, it seems that one would be in more of a balanced position if reaching towards the inside. Make sense?

Using intec with packed out liner resulted in discomfort to ankle, switched to inside cable routing as per Sunsurfers suggestion and pain was gone. As a self professed tinkerer i had to switch back when i replaced the liners with Scarpa heat mould liners to see if the issue would return. To date it has not been an issue. The one advantage to inside routing was that the pant cuff is not as exposed to snow as it is somewhat protected being bunched up on the inside of your leading leg rather than the outside. The habit of reaching down to unhook on the inside is more the issue. Drilling the hole is simple does no harm to the boot and is completely reversable as no further mods are necessary

The habit of reaching down to unhook on the inside is more the issue.

Was the pull motion any more difficult or was it more a matter of getting used to reaching to a different spot?

I took up skiing fairly recently and I recall an occasion where I reached towards my boot for a non existent intec cable at the end of my ski run!

Was the pull motion any more difficult or was it more a matter of getting used to reaching to a different spot?

I took up skiing fairly recently and I recall an occasion where I reached towards my boot for a non existent intec cable at the end of my ski run!

It was all in the mind not the mechanics.:eek: Are you planing to reverse the innards of one intec to give you an inner and an outer ?

Edited by lowrider

Was the pull motion any more difficult or was it more a matter of getting used to reaching to a different spot?QUOTE]Took a little while to get used to where to reach for. I soon got used to it. No problem with actual release of the heel, and the pull motion was just the same once you had a grip on the handle. The payoff for me was painfree riding!I find my handles tend to drift a little towards the rear of the boot rather than being strictly on the inside. SunSurfer

Are you planing to reverse the innards of one intec to give you an inner and an outer ?

My sources tell me that the inner workings of an intec cannot be converted to have the cable come out the other side without replacing one of the parts. I have always only ridden with one step in and one bail on the front; so I only have left intecs since I'm goofy footed. This topic came to mind after I decided to put one of my spare left intecs on my right boot. This would give me the flexibility to use my setup should I decide to try riding my opposite stance (i.e regular). It would also serve the purpose of always having a spare intec cable handy should I ever have a cable issue.