Note to New Members ×

Plate board and Bindings for 50lb rider

EmcD

My son is interested in getting on plates this year. He is about 50-55 pounds and 4' tall. He is a strong rider, with boot size of 21.5 (i think a lot of smalls bindings would fit his feet).

I know Bruce made a board for Jessie... no idea what happened to that (in Ontario still?)

Ultimately I think something like an Alp would be good for a start (did they make these in a 130 range?).

Looking for idea's.

Thank you

Ian

I've just done this for a few mini riders. You will struggle to find any boards under 150cm. Some older Euro brands. Burton made a Factory Prime in 135. There was one on ebay recently. Best bindings I've found for the really small feet are Proflex. They are light weight (all plastic) and adjust real small. Keep your eye on this forum for the small boards. They do come up fairly regularly.

How old is he? I didn't put Liv on plates until last season when she was 10 and about 70lbs and 138cm tall. At this point she had 3 seasons and 80+ days on snow. I found a Burton FP 3.5 (135cm) with a small (mostly plastic) binding and a pair of 23.5cm Raichle 123's with yellow BTS, and a set of Burton vari-cants for her to ride on.

Some points i've found against having light weight or young kids on plates.

- Under a certain weight it is difficult for kids to flex hardboots which will make it tough for them to ride a plate set-up. If you go looking for good softboots the kids will actually have a tough time even flexing those.

- Higher angles and plates can be really twitchy if you ever have to straight line across a flat section. Liv caught an edge at about 50km/h on her first day on the FP and honestly I was amazed she kept riding plates after hitting that hard on groom (there was snow inside her goggles). As her Dad I still get a little nervous everytime I see her moving at comparatively high speeds on the plate set-up. It doesn't bother me to see her ripping at the same speed on her softie board.

- Liv does find that the system is really heavy when it is hanging from her leg on a lift.

On the upside Liv loves the power she gets out of a hardboot set-up.

If you want to go down that road. I'd suggest starting with a stiffer softboot (think inner and outer shell rather than an integrated boot) and put vari-cants under his softboot bindings and have him ride higher angles (up to about 30ish degrees) on his existing board, then when he is comfortable with that switch over to plates at the same angles on the same board. Then eventually shift the entire set-up over to an FP3.5.

Do note that at 4' tall even an FP3.5 will be 15cm longer than him. This would be like myself at 6' learning to ride hardboots on a 202cm board.

Cheers,

Dave.

Virus rookie 99. Look up KarverKai, his avatar shows his viri. He is also rocking a 136 rossi now. He is 52" and may have made it over 50lbs by now.

Ink

The other board in KKs avatar is a Virus Avalanche FR 130. There are vids posted of the rookie 99 being ridden, both of just KK ans some with the LCI.

Also, the info from Puddy is right on target.

Edited by inkaholic
more info

Thanks for the info all.

I am just looking.... I know any of the smaller stuff made is still around... most of us end up with it in our garages etc....

From the looks F2 current small bindings would work. Probably heavy for what he would need. (so I will look for the Burtons). As for boots.... most of the kids ski boots are super soft (he is in a race boot now, which i am sure would be too stiff)

Board wise I am just trying to get a sense of what was made in the small range.... I don't even know if he would be able to crank a 135 Burton... if it is a slalom plank for a bigger rider.

I guess a boarder cross board would be an option too.

Thanks for your help.

Ian

From the looks F2 current small bindings would work. Probably heavy for what he would need. (so I will look for the Burtons). As for boots.... most of the kids ski boots are super soft (he is in a race boot now, which i am sure would be too stiff)

I've got a set of Burton Junior Plates you can have for the shipping cost from Edmonton, AB to your location. I picked them up last season used from someone on here but they seemed to be too small for the 23.5 boot Liv was wearing. PM me if you want them.

Board wise I am just trying to get a sense of what was made in the small range.... I don't even know if he would be able to crank a 135 Burton... if it is a slalom plank for a bigger rider.

No the FP board was designed from the ground up to be a carving board for kids. Though I'd personally feel iffy sticking someone 50lbs on it. It's got a 17ish cm waist and a 6m SCR. You might try the 99cm virus Ink mentioned or just start with a more forward stance on softboots like I described above.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of follow ups....

Any one know where I can find design weight range on the Burton Factory Prime 135.

Has anyone seen an SG 126 go for sale used.

I looked for the Virus 99 .... could find it on Virus's website.

Also looking at Burton Protest 132.... stiffer free ride board.... may be a little more forgiving... for learning to rail it.... Ideally probably a boarder cross board in that range ... I think the Customs would work too any other suggestions

Thanks so much for everyones help.

Ian

Ends soon but it's a 135. I think Lamberto was referring to this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BURTON-FACTORY-PRIME-SNOWBOARD-135cm-RACE-ALPINE-CARVING-USED-RED-GOOD-SHAPE-/200880044251?pt=Snowboarding&hash=item2ec56238db