Note to New Members ×

Point loading concerns with titanal boards with topsheets?

Dan

Are there any concerns with using either Catek WCs or OS1s on a titanal board with a topsheet? I know there were issues with bare titanal boards, but didn't follow that discussion much as I didn't have a titanal board at the time. I'm setting up my first metal board now and want to make sure I don't kill it my first day out.

I would be cautious.Newest titanal are thinner ( more flexable ) than anything made to date. I have Os1's on a plate but not directly on the titanal board. Same with TD1's. You may be testing the waters for the newest generation of boards with the WC's. If you are on the lighter end of the scales and you have o rings or plastic under the bindings you would probably be ok. If you are thinking of using a plate in the future don't give up on the older bindings.The stiffer bindings on a soft plate are ideal for rec riding.

I would be cautious.Newest titanal are thinner ( more flexable ) than anything made to date. I have Os1's on a plate but not directly on the titanal board. Same with TD1's. You may be testing the waters for the newest generation of boards with the WC's. If you are on the lighter end of the scales and you have o rings or plastic under the bindings you would probably be ok. If you are thinking of using a plate in the future don't give up on the older bindings.The stiffer bindings on a soft plate are ideal for rec riding.

Thanks Lowrider! I guess I don't want to be the test case for WCs, so I set up my board with TD2s instead. My friend (who doesn't post here) put OS1s on his new board; I'll bring a set of something else and suggest that he swap out at least until he can touch base with the board maker to confirm.

I also think that OS1 is safer then OS2 with those point loading "wings". When a famous local builder was prototyping the new raceboard with the topsheet over titanal, he used the OS2s mounted direct, trying to break the test board.

Yet, how hard is to throw a small sheet of polycarbonate under the binding? Better safe then sorry...