Note to New Members ×

WTB used Powder board that carves (Prior Pow, Spearhead, Kyber or Venture...)

Sailnboard

Thanks Dave and BlueB - I am not familiar with either of those boards but I am intrigued by those threads. I currently ride a Prior 4WD 179 mostly on east coast ice and groomers and love the board but want something new that I don't have to ride in 4th or 5th gear and that can handle the hardpack and the powder as I take more trips out West. I really want a Prior Pow Stick but never see a used one and don't have $ to buy new. I am 6'4" and 215# so probably want something closer to 170 in length. Would the Dynastar be too close of a cousin to the AWD?

Edited by Sailnboard

BlueB and others are more familiar with this board's qualities than I am as I only rode it a few times.

I took a couple of runs on Minnesota firm (similar to east coast conditions) and didn't like how it handled, but that's not what it's meant for. I rode 2 days in 2' of powder in trees and soft groomed and it was great. I'm 5'11" and about 200lbs (in gear). I found I needed a turnier, more tapered board for the trees.

The 169 Dynastar should be very different from a Prior 4WD. I consider the 3800 mainly a powder board that also happens to carve well in softer snow on your way to and from the deeper stuff. The 4WD would be mainly a carver that can handle soft or fresh snow better than a full carving board.

I think BlueB has both boards and could make a comparison.

The 169 Dynastar should be very different from a Prior 4WD. I consider the 3800 mainly a powder board that also happens to carve well in softer snow on your way to and from the deeper stuff. The 4WD would be mainly a carver that can handle soft or fresh snow better than a full carving board.

This is a very correct assessment! Yeah, 4WD is a submarine, compared to 3800.

I rode my 3800 169 with 3-strap Burton bindings, when I first got into trouble with snow school, about hard boots. All the fellow instructors though that I was riding a carving board :) Yet, she floats great and is plenty turny/easy to ride. Good in moguls too. If you are planning to ride the trees a lot, go with the 163 version, otherwise the 169 is stiffer, so it carves better. 163 is about 4mm narrower, too.

If you are planning to ride open pow faces and want to carve even better, then find a 4807 178. It's kinda hybrid of a swallowtail and carving board. Stiff tail really holds the edge. Some people don't like it in crud, for me it was a real chop buster. I didn't like it in trees much, maybe the smaller one would behave better.

Both boards have the sweet spot a bit back from the centre of the inserts.

Hope it helps.

the Dynastar 4807 looks and sounds very cool, wonder if anyone is willing to part with one...I was watching those Venture boards but then they ended and I did not see them repost. I actually sent Lisa an email the other day asking about demo boards for sale. Tx

http://www.ebay.com/sch/venturesnow/m.html?item=200868385483&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venture-Euphoria-Splitboard-Swallowtail-powder-surfer-Insane-Snowboard-/230898680704?pt=Snowboarding&hash=item35c2a24380

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

if you can get your hand on a Kyber I would recommend it. I really enjoy it. Obviousely this is my Pow board with hard boots but I have started to taking this board hard more and more since my boy 4 is now skiing on his own and I don`t have to ski anymore. I can carve it well at low speed and we can go play wherever we want. It`s a big wide board but it does the job.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks I bought a Dynastar 3800, it was in almost new cond. so far I've only used in afternoon on one soft snow day and one hard pack day and generally like it. The width will take some time acclimating too and while I can carve it on hard stuff I can't wait to use in some descent pow. I also bought a Pow Stick and will compare and probably only keep the one I like best