Note to New Members ×

Dave Brubeck

ExcelsiorTheFathead

I wish I could be reborn into a parallel universe where I could somehow be this cool. I'd spend all my time on "Playboy After Dark."

R.I.P. Mr. Brubeck

That version did not include Joe Morello's drum solo - that man was a badass - R.I.P. Joe

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9tTyTc6FjjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joe's even better in this version 30 years later at the young age of 67:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6kc97rN4Af0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by D.T.

Take Five was as much the sound of the sixties, as the Beatles were.

The glasses are back in fashion. My daughter bought a pair recently. I had a pair of thick rimmed specs in the late sixties, but all I wanted was small wire frames like those John Lennon wore.

Edited by BobD

A few years ago i was trying master that beautiful sax part for Take Five , so got the sheet music. I was surprised to see the piece was written by Paul Desmond, the saxophonist. No disrespect for Dave Brubeck but Paul Desmond should get more recognition for having written (and played beautifully) the piece of music that made Dave Brubeck famous.

I saw Brubeck twice at the Newport Jazz fest, with Paul Desmond in 1969, and with his sons in 1981.

And, after watching that video I know I'll never be able to play Take Five like Paul Desmond.

No disrespect for Dave Brubeck but Paul Desmond should get more recognition for having written (and played beautifully) the piece of music that made Dave Brubeck famous.

Dave Brubeck agreed %100 with you on that. To be fair, Brubeck *ALWAYS* gave Desmond the credit he deserved. They were lifelong friends and collaborators and Brubeck was devastated when Paul Desmond passed away in the late 70s. Since then he's featured several saxophonists, but none of them ever really came close to what Desmond brought to the quartet. As a sax player myself from Buffalo, I love Bobby Militello (also from Buffalo), but he's no Paul Desmond.

I got to see Mr. Brubeck and his multi-talented son, Chris in the summer of 1981 at Weber State College in Ogden, Utah. It was an eye-opener for both musicians and non-musicians in attendance. What a talented group that was on that warm summer evening. I'll always remember that experience. Good friends, and good music.

Mark