Note to New Members ×

Late-Day softie board?

AcousticBoarder

I am looking for recommendations for a good softie board for a newer carver (I have been in softies for years and started hard-booting last season). I do NOT intend to make this my carving setup, rather one to ride in less desirable conditions. I am in need of a board that can handle the after lunch conditions in a crowded Southern California resort, one that is fun to ride after a morning of hard booting and can withstand the slush, bumps, and crud on the runs, but still be fun to ride and work some curves in.

I am looking for something below $250 preferably (used of coarse). I would prefer to not use plates, but let me know if it is necessary/ highly recommended. Also, from my understanding, I want something that is more damp and has more flex?

some names I have heard:

Prior ATV

Donek Incline, Razor

Volkl Dash

Neversummer Premier

Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by AcousticBoarder

Any of those boards would work. Price will probably be your biggest issue. If you go for a Donek (I love Doneks--especially the Razor), make sure you ask what rider weight the board was made for. Too stiff is no fun. There's a Prior Khyber on Ebay right now for a decent price. Worth looking at. Good luck!

I liked my Donek "Saline" (163cm, 25cm, 10m) which was an Incline with the Saber rubber damping foil in it. It was a little soft for me to really lay into a carve but still carved reasonably well (for my weight), and absolutely rocked off trail (drops, moguls, and pow). I rode it with ATBs but it was designed as a softboot board. I liked it so much I sold it and bought a slightly longer stiffer version of the same board (171cm, 24.5cm, 10-12m VSR) which will give up a little bit of off trail performance for some on trail carving ability. I'm dying to get out and ride it.

Great board. I sold it to Surlyguy who is much lighter than me and riding it in softies (Burton Driver X's and Nidecker Carbon 900's). He's had it out once but was quite impressed with how it carved for being a softboot board.

Dave

Prior ATV, only if you have very small feet and/or want to ride high angles. Otherwise, rather look into an MFR.

Otherwise, there are tons of good boards to do what you want, just to list few more:

Steepwater,

Elan Vertigo,

Arbor A-Frame,

Nidecker high-end boards,

Tankers,

Palmer higher-end,

Dynastar 3800,

F2, etc, etc...

On the other hand, why not get that ATV with some flimsy plate bindings and do the same thing without changing the boots in the afternoon?

Well I'm not quite sure who presses them. I do know they incorporate the rocker technology in such a way that during longitudal flexion through a carve, the sidecut will create pinchpoints. These pinch points act sort of like magna traction in the sense that there are more than just one point of pressure created along a carve. On a regular board there is one point of pressure that is created. When that single pressure point loses pressure through a carve, the board skids off. If that happens with the Status board then one of the other pinch points takes over causing it to still stay in the carve.

That is the theory behind its sidecut and rocker. What I can tell you from experience is that this will be my third season on them and I'm convinced it has a better edge hold than other similar boards. Status boards are softer than most hard/carving decks but they stick to hard pack like glue. I tend to ride icy conditions and I think the board out perfroms most others in those conditions.

AcousticBoarder: Great idea. For years I brought my softboot rig to the hill for exactly the same purpose. After lunch, when the groom has become a crapshow, and your legs are shot, it can be a relief to slip on those softies (which feel like bedroom slippers after a morning in hardboots) and grind the crud with the kids until dark. You get to use different muscles, too.

My question is, why don't you just use your old softboot board? Mine was (and still is) a mid-nineties vintage Burton Supermodel 159. An old school freeride cruiser like that shouldn't cost you more than $250.

AcousticBoarder: Great idea. For years I brought my softboot rig to the hill for exactly the same purpose. After lunch, when the groom has become a crapshow, and your legs are shot, it can be a relief to slip on those softies (which feel like bedroom slippers after a morning in hardboots) and grind the crud with the kids until dark. You get to use different muscles, too.

I don't know... My feet always used to hurt way more in softies. Plus, on HB you have the options of powering through crud or riding the terrain.

I agree on the different muscle groups, but it doesn't need to be the case. You can ride a very all-mountain oriented setup on HB, where even the technique becomes hybrid towards softies. Hell, I can (and do sometimes for teaching) ride the HBs in duck stance!

I don't know... My feet always used to hurt way more in softies. Plus, on HB you have the options of powering through crud or riding the terrain.

I agree on the different muscle groups, but it doesn't need to be the case. You can ride a very all-mountain oriented setup on HB, where even the technique becomes hybrid towards softies. Hell, I can (and do sometimes for teaching) ride the HBs in duck stance!

====

The duck stance! You must have a wide board. I salute you. I've ridden about 35/25 on an all-mountain board with the HBs and it does make for a more tractable, late-day scrapyard setup. My hardboots were murderous on my feet for the first season and a half. Then I saw a bootfitter-the kind that knows his art-and the HBs are way better, but still not quite as comfortable as the softies.

My question is, why don't you just use your old softboot board? Mine was (and still is) a mid-nineties vintage Burton Supermodel 159. An old school freeride cruiser like that shouldn't cost you more than $250.

I am 21 now and got my old softie more than a couple years ago, so it is just a little small, and I don't exactly get to go up to the mountain every weekend, nor did I have a lot of money to spend on a board, we bought for practically nothing a used Burton Cruzer from a rental shop we are friends with. This was also before I was really introduced to hardbooting, so I was not looking for anything in specific, just something I could ride a few times a season.

So I have grown a bit, have some more money (still a college student though >.>), and want something more geared towards carving now. Still going to keep my old one as a rock board though.

Ha, and now I have a board available in your price range! :)

Looks nice, BUT you are a little too late, I actually just purchased a Donek Incline earlier today :D

You'll love Donek incline. I love mine. Carves well, slides well, lands well, pops well, floats well, slices well. It feels less playful than NS Titan, prior ATV, Swoard dual, though, and a bit heavy. Very, very durable.

I recommend getting some very flexible binding such as burton race and add flex to your boots using BTS. You can then use forward stance to carve in the morning and change to duck stance to play in the afternoon. Don't have to bring any extra equipment on the mountain.

I really like my Ride Crush snowboard its a lot of fun and carves great and you can take it anywhere on the mountain and you will have fun. I also rode a demo Donek Saber last year at Copper Mountain and that board was incredible it carves great! I highly recommend Donek snowboards and Ride snowboards they are very durable and tons of fun.

Edited by NSSage