Note to New Members ×

2013 Riding at Whitetail

piusthedrcarve

All,

I saw a couple of riders in our region start posting. So I figured it would be good to start our usual riding thread now.

For our region, WISP will open on 11/23 and Snowshoe will open 11/21. I was hoping they would open sooner after big dump from Sandy but..well. It is what it is.

Our playground, Whitetail? unknown yet.. and I'll be very surprised if they open in November.

If anyone read this tread and wanna start ride alpine, let us know. I'll have some gears to get him introduced to alpine snowboarding although my quiver has shrunken so thin I can even bring all at once. :eek:

Anyway, I will be going up to Whitetail at least once a week on weekday. If anyone is going up, please leave a line under this tread for date and time.

Can't wait to ride with you all.

P.S. Loupa5. If you wanna test Madd, let me know before I go up.

Billy and Dave. I may be again opt out for any events this season(due to kids and new home) but just use this tread to let us know your plan to ride other places. I'm all-in for WISP any day.

Edited by piusthedrcarve

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading to The Shoe on Friday. Looking forward to carving a few turns on limitted terrain. Should be a great weekend.

Wow.. nice.

Anyway, welcome to BOL. I've been checking Snowshoe FB and noticed they've been making snow last few days for the opening day.

Let us know how the condition is and trail info I heard SilverCreek is good for carving but can't remember the trails.

• 1 month later...
Hi Everyone!

I'm going to try WT on Sunday AM. (Issues with new home may squash that plan...)

How's the base there?

Goro

Base is good. SnowPark was completely covered but top 1/2 section under lift was closed as usual. Farside is still not opened though.

Snow was soft since they were making snow til 10. Temp. only went up to 36 today with winds so snow didn't turned to mush/slush.

If tomorrow's temp. holds like today, it will be good.

se7ven and I had a blast today. We tested cambered boards with new tech, old tech, and WC design. We noted findings and rode accordingly and it was AWESOME.

We saw a donek carver with deeluxe 700 from a chair but weren't able to meet.

vhdz84.jpg

Edited by piusthedrcarve

We saw a donek carver with deeluxe 700 from a chair but weren't able to meet.

That would have been me for my first day out. I was on my old Axis "rock" board. Saw you guys a couple of times, but never met up and my legs were shot by 11:30 - not my quads, but those pesky peroneous longus and other little guys that haven't been worked out since last season ;)

That would have been me for my first day out. I was on my old Axis "rock" board. Saw you guys a couple of times, but never met up and my legs were shot by 11:30 - not my quads, but those pesky peroneous longus and other little guys that haven't been worked out since last season ;)

I went today; also my first day out. Also my "re-introduction" to hardboots (probably the first time in 2 (maybe more) seasons that I did all my runs on plates). I stayed on SnowPark (or whatever it's called) the whole time. Crowds were pretty light, perhaps due to NFL. That new "sliding lift pad" thing took a few times to get used to. Snow definitely got softer toward later afternoon, but nothing slushy. In fact, I'd say that it was "hero" snow for a little while.

One female snowboarder asked me "What is that?"

I'm really wishing I had done squats!

wisp today - it was super (NFL effect). most everything open and the place is being run better than in years, imo. today's crowd was no test but last sunday they had a throng and everything breezed. lift lines, cafeteria lines, ticket window lines - all ran like clockwork and the snow was fantastic. my girls ( 10 & 5 yrs) are cruising these days (skis) and it's more fun than ever.

maybe wt tuesday. anyone?

Edited by davekempmeister

Saw you guys a couple of times, but never met up and my legs were shot by 11:30 - not my quads, but those pesky peroneous longus and other little guys that haven't been worked out since last season ;)

Mark, we rode till 2:30 since my kid was in the ski school till 3. Also it was my first day on snow and of course I've taken Aleeve since. :)

Usually I or we are in Farside if it is opened. We will see again for sure.

maybe wt tuesday. anyone?

Dave, we keep missing each other. I can't for tomorrow. Since it is getting warmer next few days, I am thinking after 16th or 17th. I will post when I'm going up also. How's your new stick treating you?

Dave, we keep missing each other. I can't for tomorrow. Since it is getting warmer next few days, I am thinking after 16th or 17th. I will post when I'm going up also. How's your new stick treating you?

i'm not riding the Kessler - there's a plan for that board that will come to fruition in a month or so. been riding some old stuff and tried out the Tanker 200 today for the first time. the Tankers just fit me perfectly.

got an old Burton FP 185 race stock that is just amazing, though unforgiving (riding Burton FP185 in video, in CO). all the best and i'll be looking to get to Wisp to do laps on Squirrel Cage. Collegiate racing has commenced and the hill will be groomed out nicely from now on. when Squirrel Cage sets up firm the night before, it's good times.

pius - wisp is doing the $29 mid-week price again this year and when the temps dip low at night, i'm headed there. maybe later in the week, let me know. maybe you meet me at a park and ride @ 6 a.m. near frederick and i take it from there. 9-3p.m. and back at your car at 6. trade 6 hours driving for 6 hours riding (plus gas, $ and lost sleep). totally a square deal, IMO.

pius - wisp is doing the $29 mid-week price again this year and when the temps dip low at night, i'm headed there. maybe later in the week, let me know. maybe you meet me at a park and ride @ 6 a.m. near frederick and i take it from there. 9-3p.m. and back at your car at 6. trade 6 hours driving for 6 hours riding (plus gas, $ and lost sleep). totally a square deal, IMO.

How generous you are. If my schedule works out on Friday, I will gladly take you offer and I'll chip-in for gas too.

I did it last season alone when we had the last storm on March, I couldn't just let that opportunity slide and took 6 hours driving with 1.5 hours on lift, which comes down to less than 2 hours of riding but never regret that. Today's WT Cam shows dirts on middle of trails (exhibition, snowpark, jib junction, and most of all others) due to last few days of 60s temp.

I will probably know by Wednesday night and let you know.

How generous you are. If my schedule works out on Friday, I will gladly take you offer and I'll chip-in for gas too.

I did it last season alone when we had the last storm on March, I couldn't just let that opportunity slide and took 6 hours driving with 1.5 hours on lift, which comes down to less than 2 hours of riding but never regret that. Today's WT Cam shows dirts on middle of trails (exhibition, snowpark, jib junction, and most of all others) due to last few days of 60s temp.

I will probably know by Wednesday night and let you know.

Hmmmm..... its been terrible down here... flipping 70+ degrees.... how is wisp right now... I am 6 hours from wisp

Hmmmm..... its been terrible down here... flipping 70+ degrees.... how is wisp right now... I am 6 hours from wisp

mellow, a week ago wisp was golden but after the last few days, they've got to be a little beat up. temps last night and for the foreseeable will let them paint it white and recover, though. hopefully by friday, cuz that's when i'm going. if i weren't 3 hours in the wrong direction (for you), i'd put you up and all that. all the best and if you are going be sure to post. it's a fun hill.

Appreciated!

I can't make this week/end. However, both my wife and I have family in Pittsburgh and we may end up traveling up there at some point this season. If I go up I am going to try to hit Seven Springs. Anyone go there? I've never been to Wisp in the winter, even having lived in the Burgh' up unitl 2004. Springs was an hour from my door. Now that I sometimes drive 3 hours to go to the crud we have down here... a 2 hour drive from Pittsburgh doesn't sound that bad!

BTW - any of you going to the SES?

Sorry Dave. I can't make it on Friday due to work.

Instead, I will go WT on Saturday morning. I know it's going to be a jungle but better than nothing.

Appreciated!

I can't make this week/end. However, both my wife and I have family in Pittsburgh and we may end up traveling up there at some point this season. If I go up I am going to try to hit Seven Springs. Anyone go there? I've never been to Wisp in the winter, even having lived in the Burgh' up unitl 2004. Springs was an hour from my door. Now that I sometimes drive 3 hours to go to the crud we have down here... a 2 hour drive from Pittsburgh doesn't sound that bad!

BTW - any of you going to the SES?

Pius, got the message and hope to see you one day next week.

Mellow, i have been to 7 Springs and I don't like it because there is so little seperation between runs and "abilities", so to speak. The fact that in recent years they have added a Super Pipe and annually rank 1st in polls that rate parks/pipes (east coast) doesn't help either. Anyway, not to bash the place but I'd just as soon go to Blue Knob - that is a low blow.

Wisp is fun, gets a good bit of lake effect and has less scene.

and, no I am not going to SES. got a trip to NH coming up and working on a late March/early April jaunt my wife knows nothing about yet, even though she is going.

and, no I am not going to SES. got a trip to NH coming up and working on a late March/early April jaunt my wife knows nothing about yet, even though she is going.

Dave, I'm also planning to go to Bretton Wood, used to be my home ground years back, on last week of March with family. I'm prepping my kids to like ski and am quiet happy with progress of my 5 years old. Which resort are you thinking? I can say BW has the most carving and family friendly slopes among NH resorts.