Note to New Members ×

upz boots cracked.

energyrail

So I have some UPZ RTR boots. running on standard bails, so I never t-nutted them. Then last year I noticed some flex in one toe block, and a wet toe. So I pulled the blocks for the first time for an inspection and I found a crack. So I t-nutted them and finished the season.

SHOULD THEY BE RETIRED?

So I have some UPZ RTR boots. running on standard bails, so I never t-nutted them. Then last year I noticed some flex in one toe block, and a wet toe. So I pulled the blocks for the first time for an inspection and I found a crack. So I t-nutted them and finished the season.

SHOULD THEY BE RETIRED?

To be clear, is the crack in the shell or the toe block?

Shell ? I would retire them asap. Toe block? Replace them.

the ledge that the toe block slides onto is cracked. Now that it is t-nutted there is no flex anymore.

With standard clip-in bindings - No way I'd ride those. If it fails and peels off you release.

With step-in bindings - I'd think long and hard about it. You have a small chance that the heel pins will hold you in if the toe peels off. If you have the money, I'd get new boots ASAP.

Problem solved.

Here is an Extensive Modification I came up with recently with a pair of HSP's that I received for 'Parts Only' that were cracked at the heel bail.

There is no chance anyone will be injured wearing these.

I am sure ;) it will work for the UPZ's also.

post-774-14184237427_thumb.jpg

It's all about having an equally matched system. If one part is too stiff/strong, it will over stress other parts and cause them to fail.

Get a board that's de-laming and bindings with cracked base plates. Only use one or two screws to mount the bindings. You should be good from there.

It's not as bad as it sounds. maybe i'll thrown them in for show and tell at NES. When a person actually sees the crack, if he can find it in the first place. It's not a whole lot different than t-nutting an intec heel on. I hope the next set last longer than 40 days. those green rc10's sure look sweet though. I believe snow packed on the boot was a contributing factor. I have an almost new pair of heads but need to see a boot fitter for a few days.

Edited by energyrail