Note to New Members ×

Noob question time: Do I have to do anything with storage wax?

Tugboater

Better take it to the service. They'd scrape it off and put another wax, or just scrape it off )

You can do it by yourself, buy i think it's better to take board to the service.

Don't try to ride with your wax on, it won't peel off, and the board ill be sloooow

The easiest way? Just ride it... Wax will come off and unless you are entering a race, don't think you'll lose too much speed... The expensive way? Do what TLN says..... The best way? Probably do what Miltie says....

Storage wax is just a thick coat of wax... Wax that wasn't scraped off. You could get a cheap plastic scraper from any ski shop and scrape it first, but then you have to deal with the mess! You could even pick up a scotch brite type do pad at the dollar store and polish it after you scrape it.

I will probably just ride my board until the wax is all gone, and if the stars all align just right, I might be lucky enough to get some more wax on it before the end of the season. I usually just use that household wax you find at the grocery store where they have the food canning supplies! I don't race and I'm cheap.

The easiest way? Just ride it... Wax will come off and unless you are entering a race, don't think you'll lose too much speed... The expensive way? Do what TLN says..... The best way? Probably do what Miltie says....

How much it cost to prepare one board for a season?

I've paid recently $27 for 3 boards: take off the wax from two, put a new wax on a new never-waxed board, sharpen all the edges(one were never sharpened before). In result i got all three boards ready to go. I think $27 ain't that much, once the boards cost you 1000$+, right?

Once the boards cost you 1000$+, right?

The most that was ever paid for any board currently in my quiver was $10 and that was purchased by someone else for me. As a single mom with two kids I'm lucky I get to ride at all. I've been teaching for a long time, so I don't pay for a pass, but even a tank of gas to get to the mountain on Saturdays makes the winter budget a bit tight. And of course, my kids get gear before me. I did get new boots this year which I'm super excited about! Great deal on ebay....

I do know how to tune myself and have the stuff to do it, but sometimes even finding time to do it is a bit of a challenge! My kids keep me busy!

for sure scrape it off, or have a shop scape it off.

riding it will not come off all that quickly, and depending on the snow conditions, it may be extremely slow and catchy. I can tell when a base has a better structure than another base in certain conditions, let alone having a thick coat of wax on the bottom.

on here, I see people say wax does not matter, it does matter, especially in the east, it may not matter as much out west, as they are on natural snow that usually does not go through freeze thaw cycles. when I go out west, I barely have to wax my board, in the east, it should be waxed every few days of riding.

Depending on your car or bag, you will end up with wax on and in that from the board having wax on it.

How much it cost to prepare one board for a season?

I've paid recently $27 for 3 boards: take off the wax from two, put a new wax on a new never-waxed board, sharpen all the edges(one were never sharpened before). In result i got all three boards ready to go. I think $27 ain't that much, once the boards cost you 1000$+, right?

$27 for 3 boards would be a screaming deal here. We pay something like $30 - $50 for a full tune including waxing and edge tune. Maybe $15 apiece for waxing only. The impetus to do it yourself is less to save money than to save time. I can wax a board myself in 15 minutes or so, vs. driving to a shop and leaving it there for a week, then driving back to pick it up...etc. At some point it's just easier to do it myself. Also, there are very few shops around here where I'd be comfortable taking a $1000 alpine board: you always run the risk that some rail-sliding park rider would just detune the whole edge.

$27 for 3 boards would be a screaming deal here. We pay something like $30 - $50 for a full tune including waxing and edge tune. Maybe $15 apiece for waxing only. The impetus to do it yourself is less to save money than to save time. I can wax a board myself in 15 minutes or so, vs. driving to a shop and leaving it there for a week, then driving back to pick it up...etc. At some point it's just easier to do it myself. Also, there are very few shops around here where I'd be comfortable taking a $1000 alpine board: you always run the risk that some rail-sliding park rider would just detune the whole edge.

So true. Kinpa, I understand your frugality but c'mon, scrape your wax before you ride!!! Dan is so right. I tune every time I ride. Be sure your edges are at least de-burred and do the basics. It is always nice blazing past the lazy and uneducated on the flats or traverses and trusting your edge in all conditions. My boards only see the shop for base grinds and edge beveling and the last time I had either of those done was...almost never. Have a sick winter!

So true. Kinpa, I understand your frugality but c'mon, scrape your wax before you ride!!! Dan is so right. I tune every time I ride. Be sure your edges are at least de-burred and do the basics. It is always nice blazing past the lazy and uneducated on the flats or traverses and trusting your edge in all conditions. My boards only see the shop for base grinds and edge beveling and the last time I had either of those done was...almost never. Have a sick winter!

Honestly, I guess I'll have to pay more attention when I get on snow this year to see if not scraping is a problem for me. In the past I never did wax or scrape because I didn't have a good place to do it. Now I have a better spot, but still, dealing with wax scraped off is a pain.... I would be way more concerned about sharp edges if I was still riding the east coast ice, but the snow is soft where I ride now, great groomers, and few flat cattracks... oh, how lucky I am!!! :1luvu: speed is still the enemy for me Oh, you should check out the video of me from NICE on the video page.... I did have to deal with a flat traverse there. ok, ok.... I got edged out by a nose and I'll have to see which board I was on, but I can almost bet you it was an untuned and unwaxed board. Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't take care of your equipment, if you have the means to do so however that may be, I'm just saying I, personally, don't have a problem riding and unwaxed and untuned board. But that's just me. I have ridden with guys before that were so aware of any little burr on an edge. I'm not like that. I probably wouldn't even notice. One time I hit a rock last year which took a gouge out of the base and the only reason I even knew was because I got kinda stuck on that rock... I saw it when I got down to the bottom and checked my base. Can't say I felt it on the ride down though. Maybe I'll get on the ball more with it this year. Who knows.....

Honestly, I guess I'll have to pay more attention when I get on snow this year to see if not scraping is a problem for me. In the past I never did wax or scrape because I didn't have a good place to do it. Now I have a better spot, but still, dealing with wax scraped off is a pain....

I agree with that - I do it in our garage, and it does make a mess. You can also do it in the parking lot when you go up to ride -- at least that gets the wax shavings out of your house.

I agree with that - I do it in our garage, and it does make a mess. You can also do it in the parking lot when you go up to ride -- at least that gets the wax shavings out of your house.

or, I've got a better idea.... I can just do it at Slopetool's house... he's all set up for it! oh wait, I bet I could even talk him into doing it for me!!!! hehehehe..... he did talk about getting something set up in his garage, but for now it's in the house... maybe I impressed him with my tuning knowledge... I don't know