Note to New Members ×

Moving to SFO in a week - where do I carve

queequeg

Howdy All - moving to SF for a new job in a week and am wondering where I will be carving this winter. I'll be starting a new job so I'm not counting on getting in a ton of days this year, but hopefully I'll be able to make the rounds to a few different places to get a taste for whats available. When I do go I figure it'll be for two day trips and the like.

Congrats on the new job. Sounds like an adventure and quite a change from the past locations.

Local areas I am not sure about, however, I do know allot of folks from San Francisco fly up to Bend and ride at Mt Bach.

It is pretty good snow and can be really good carving.

The majority of the carvers I know from the bay area go to Kirkwood (Hwy 88), but if you go over I-80 you have access to all the west shore resorts: Squaw, Alpine, Northstar etc.

Thanks Randy - What is it about Kirkwood that attracts people as opposed to other places in Tahoe? Is it a much longer drive to the west shore places?

I think it's the lack of crowds. It's less of a tourist trap since it's off the beaten path compared to the rest of the Tahoe resorts.
Kirkwood is sweet.

Heavenly is awesome for South Lake Tahoe.

For quick access off of Hwy 80, Sugar Bowl is a lot of fun. Not sure about the grooming/carving situation there though.

I see - cool beans. Thanks for the helpful information!

• 4 weeks later...

Randy is right about Kirkwood having a lighter crowd. Grooming is average to good on most weekdays allowing for good carving conditions until 2pm. Fairly high snowfall totals at Kwood too so the cord tends to be soft on some days.

My favorite runs are at Mt. Rose for steeps, but 80% of my carving is at Kirkwood on weekdays. Northstar has some nice blue runs if you like dealing with crowded conditions.

Randy is right about Kirkwood having a lighter crowd. Grooming is average to good on most weekdays allowing for good carving conditions until 2pm. Fairly high snowfall totals at Kwood too so the cord tends to be soft on some days.

My favorite runs are at Mt. Rose for steeps, but 80% of my carving is at Kirkwood on weekdays. Northstar has some nice blue runs if you like dealing with crowded conditions.

Thanks Jim - what are the crowds like on weekends? I'd say the chances of me making it out there on a weekday are practically nil this year with me starting a new job. Is there such thing as early access there?

Don't know about weekends at 420+ miles round trip, but would guess that Kwood has a smaller crowd, unless, there is pow. Then Kwood is more crowded than some other resorts. Most resorts seem to be less crowded on weekends before Jan and after March.

• 2 months later...

Spent some time at NorthStar last week and despite people say about it, I had a lot of fun on the backside. Challenger has one headwall that is particularly awesome for carving (though the rest of the run is somewhat of a waste). Can't wait to sink my teeth into some kirkwood.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Queequeg.

Rode 3 weekdays at Kwood this month. Seems like grooming is much better than average after the recent purchase. Crowds are light on non-pow days too. I seldom needed to look over my shoulder, though I still did every fourth turn. Temps were low enough to avoid skier piles too. Also nice to finally be able to keep my pass in my jacket with the new scanners.

Will be at Northstar on Tue and Kwood on Wed this week.