Note to New Members ×

Travel vehicles besides trucks and truck based suvs

energyrail

Ben what are you getting for mps? This is on our list for my wifes replacement in 2-3 years.

If you drive nice and are running the stock tune, with the Ecoboost motor and AWD, realistically about 16 around town, 22 on the highway. Driving with an aggressive tune loaded, and "enjoying it," it drops to around 14 around town and maybe 19 on the highway. But to drive a 4 door huge station wagon that outperforms most sports cars and luxury performance cars/suvs you see on a daily basis out there is a blast and is totally worth the drop in MPGs.

Not sure what the naturally aspirated Flex gets for mileage though.

I actually despised the Flex when we shopped, but one dealer made me sit in one (almost forcibly), a loaded Limited with Ecoboost (and AWD), so I sat, and fell in love with the inside. Then I drove it, we signed for it an hour later. This is coming from a 6'7" guy who has only bought full size SUVs or mid-size or larger P/Us in the past as my daily drivers. I'm still not a huge fan of the external "look," but everything else about it makes me love it. It does real well in the snow too. Only thing missing for me was the ground clearance for hunting and fishing, but I solved that by buying my wife a 4dr Wrangler.

So i passed an edge today, it had a ski box on it. Quite a long one overhanging the window. I didn't think this was a good idea, with the distance from the cross bar creates a great deal of leverage.

I imagine the wind would more likely be able to rip it off the car. Has anyone ever done this or seen it done.

What are some other brands of ski carriers besides yakima and thule. I have seen a few that are long and tapered. but with square corners.

• 4 weeks later...

Saturn Ion 2, plenty of room for my vokyl 178, friends snowboard 163 and the boys gear and boys, back seat has fold down and when there are passengers in the rear the boards fit between the crack base to base, 32 mpg and plenty of power to get up up the hill. I almost bought the vue but it was extra vertical not extra length.

So i passed an edge today, it had a ski box on it. Quite a long one overhanging the window. I didn't think this was a good idea, with the distance from the cross bar creates a great deal of leverage.

I imagine the wind would more likely be able to rip it off the car. Has anyone ever done this or seen it done.

What are some other brands of ski carriers besides yakima and thule. I have seen a few that are long and tapered. but with square corners.

I have an Inno box on my Edge. It has the lowest profile that I could find so it clears the garage by about 1/2 an inch. It is not long enough to hold any of my boards, but with one of the seats folded down I can fit my 188cm in the back. It came stock with 3 mufflers so I pulled 2 of them and replaced them with straight pipes added a K&N air filter for a total gain of about 30 hp. I can say that at 95 mph it does not separate from the car, but I don't really want to find out what the limit is.