Note to New Members ×

2nd Annual Sugarloaf Banked Slalom

Jack M

Carved turns slow you down on banked turns if I'm correct. I thought you want to keep your base flat on those. Not that I know better but that's what I heard.

Those banks, in the vid, are very shallow and not very steep, you will want to carve them to keep speed up. What you said above is more valid for the X-Games, WC type of BX courses where speeds are very high. Either a shorter carver or BX should be good.

Ink

Thanks for the correction Ink. I was watching a vid online and its was an xgames race.

The loaf course looks kind of easy this time. Last years was on double bitter which was lots of ice ect. This one looks way too easy but I wounded how long it will be.

Those banks, in the vid, are very shallow and not very steep, you will want to carve them to keep speed up. What you said above is more valid for the X-Games, WC type of BX courses where speeds are very high. Either a shorter carver or BX should be good.

Ink

Im gonna use my Oxygen 157 supercross. I've been riding it a lot this season and it carves tight and fast. Just got to put some graphite wax on it

Those banks, in the vid, are very shallow and not very steep, you will want to carve them to keep speed up. What you said above is more valid for the X-Games, WC type of BX courses where speeds are very high. Either a shorter carver or BX should be good. Ink
I know nothing about BX, but the banks looked practically vertical to me as I was approaching them during the race. Not sure what you mean by shallow, but the turn radius of the banks was very tight and not high speed like BX's I have seen on tv and in person. But I agree with you that carving was the right strategy on this course. My first qualifying run I played it safe and bagged 5th overall. I figured then I could take some risks with the second run, so I tried to carve it more. My time improved by 1.2 seconds. That was the fastest qualifying time of the day and I have very little experience in racing of any kind. On race day I tried to carve more and more, and my times continued to improve. The softbooter who won was very carvey. I didn't see the guy who took second, but he also took 2nd last year. I got 3rd overall. Carving was definitely an advantage.
can you borrow a 158?
Coiler 163SL worked perfectly. Next time I will have it tuned!

Nice work Jack!

Yes, by shallow I meant not very steep. I was refering to the berms in the preview video which was probably not the completed coarse. Comparing to the ones in your sweet photos, the final berms are much steeper.

How did Snowrider do? I don't know his name so I can't just look at the results.

Ink

Next time put your plate on the damn thing and set them straight about what carving really is ! Gravel, slush and water mixed with bottle caps, old lift tickets and gum wrappers. Riding in Ontario is fast comming to a close. Nothing much left to ride on but memories of a season past.

Nice work Jack!

Yes, by shallow I meant not very steep. I was refering to the berms in the preview video which was probably not the completed coarse. Comparing to the ones in your sweet photos, the final berms are much steeper.

How did Snowrider do? I don't know his name so I can't just look at the results.

Ink

Thanks! I will let Snowrider chime in if he wants.

Yeah, I just took another look at that preview video - the course was not at all finished at that point.

Next time put your plate on the damn thing and set them straight about what carving really is ! Gravel, slush and water mixed with bottle caps, old lift tickets and gum wrappers. Riding in Ontario is fast comming to a close. Nothing much left to ride on but memories of a season past.

I'm not sure the suspension benefit would have outweighed the fact that I'm not used to riding my plate on my shorter boards. My plate lives on my 185. Too many screws to turn to move it around. And on shorter boards I prefer no plate for snow-feel, steering, skidding, and recovery.

Edited by Jack Michaud

1:17.3 or something. I sucked compared to jacks time but I ain't a pro like some (Jack).

I just went to have a blast and that's what I did. Was great to see friends and acquaintances.

My names Marc Hall.....Jack; how can I change my user name to my real name?

Edited by Marc Hall

WTH!? I just saw the video. They did the same thing with me at Waterville Valley. I get a great shot of my HB setup going out the start. Damit!

And of course Jack gets the glamour shot. Boooo to that. It's cause I'm too ugly for the camera....

Edited by Marc Hall