Note to New Members ×

Sims Daytona: forward loaded camber???

willem

Hi, I bought this Sims Daytona 172 from Ebay, a real beauty and didn't cost me much.

Googled it but not much except for some specs, found this though on Carvers Almanac:

"Sims Daytona: The forward loaded camber requires an aggressive carving technique"

What is a forward loaded camber, does it refer to the shape of the camber or does it mean it's off-centred,

something else?

Edited by willem

They mean the nose of the board is stiffer than normal. Board works well with hard boots and plates, but don't expect alpine board performance. I broke an ankle on one of those when I augured the nose into the snow by overloading it on a toe side turn.

Have fun with it. Supposedly was Mark Fawcett's AM play toy in the day.

Camber and flex pattern are two different things. I thought "forward loaded" camber meant the camber peaked somewhere around the front foot.

Jack's explaination is more precise, camber is truly "forward" of board center, not a lot, but still is. Stiff softboot board, works fine w/plates, or in my case, a Donek plate w/plates. No big alpine board, but decent in the SL role.

Here is how SIMS described it:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/daytona00001.jpg/

Hope the link works? After cracking up my only board on rocks while in Whistler-spring 2000, I was scrambling for a board. Shop had a 166 marked down to good price (and the Sims brocohure, which I somehow still have and scanned), only board I ever bought new. 1 thing for sure, these things are tough, and solid!...mine finally died 1 1/2 years ago, edge and sidewall cracked. Although riding since mid 90s, I've only ridden handful of boards. I've always ridden a soft/flexy HB. I'm in Ottawa now, but put fair amount of mileage on Dyatona during years in western Can.

Like I said, solid...but heavy! Then again the weight, helped give it that tank like feel. I always felt like I could bust/ram through, any crud or slop if I lacked the energy to turn through it. I always thought of it as a great boardercross board! Felt very stable at good speeds (considering type of board-not alpine). I took mine everywhere from moguls to pow(yeah not ideal I know). Heavy and stiff, but if you stayed aggressive and pushed it into turns, tight enough for short turns and even moguls! I think as far as the "forward loaded camber" like I said, aggressive, weighting nose of the board a little more...I found you could really dive into turns. For an aggressive SBooter, or a 1 board softer HB setup I think it did pretty well.

Edited by ziolino66

Hey Willem,

yeah sorry about the tease...didn't realize my scan to post was so poor, I'm not exactly tech savy. I'll try again see if I can make it work.

One thing I didn't really mention in previous post, was the Daytona's edge hold. Again to be clear **as an allmountain/freeride/brx board** I felt the edge hold to be pretty damn good. It really was impressive in conditions that were less than ideal for carving...locked into a turn I had the confidence it/we could bash/rip through the kind of lumpy mess most runs turn into at the end of a day! And BONUS for beauty points...the topsheet finish on these (colours, depth of colours, and gloss).

ZL.

post-10487-141842363407_thumb.jpg

Edited by ziolino66
CORRECTION

Hey Willem,

yeah sorry about the tease...didn't realize my scan to post was so poor, I'm not exactly tech savy. I'll try again see if I can make it work.

One thing I didn't really mention in previous post, was the Daytona's edge hold. Again to be clear **as an allmountain/freeride/brx board** I felt the edge hold to be pretty damn good. It really was impressive in conditions that were less than ideal for carving...locked into a turn I had the confidence it/we could bash/rip through the kind of lumpy mess most runs turn into at the end of a day! And BONUS for beauty points...the topsheet finish on these (colours, depth of colours, and gloss).

ZL.

[ATTACH]29946[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the pic!

got the Sims in the mail today, sweet!

looking very much forward riding it

I'm a collector of oldschool skateboards so

an added value for me is the fact that it's a real Sims.

cheers, Willem