Note to New Members ×

Camelback

teach

Not bad today. A more or less uniform 1" layer of sugar over softened ice/frozen hardpack. I rode Raceway but too many out-of-control skiers and snowboarders... you know, big guys with skis 3 feet apart, each ski weaving in and out independently of the other, going 30+ mph, boarders going so fast they're scared to turn or even twist the board to hit the brakes. Also the left side was cordoned off for race training. But Rocket was pretty good and almost free of straightliners (quite a few beginners getting stranded, but that's much easier to deal with). Cliffhanger also seemed pretty good, but the runout onto the end of Nile Mile was scary.

Keltacer, do you ride weekdays?

Sharples, Voytazbrna, didn't see any other carvers except for Camelback's team practicing on Marjie's or Rocket. Where were you riding?

Weekdays are hard for me unless I play hooky from work, which is difficult because something always seems to come up when I'm planning to be "sick." Wish I lived closer to camelback, I'm about 1.5 hours away and my work is in the opposite direction (Brooklyn). I did manage to get there on the monday after the superbowl and had a blast. I had to hide from the Giants fans at work :barf:.

i started off late morning on the right side of the mountain (as you're looking at it), did a few runs on Rocket, as it was fairly open and led to a nice open area on the bottom, perfect for carving wide turns. then went to the other side early in the afternoon, but got too packed so spent a good hour or two on Pocono Raceway, practicing my carving turns.

Also those kids on the Camelback snowboard racing team were amazing, I caught a few glimpses of them carving turns, the youngest must've been only 10 but they ripped!

I also had a late start since I was there with three of my friends. I saw one guy on hard boots, but always from a lift or too far away. Red helmet and orange boots - board looked red as well. Anyway, buddy of mine (soft boots) and I spent most of the day on the Lower Cleopatra and Pocono Raceway. Never made it to the right side since the lift there was just way too crowded. But we had a great time. I would've spent more time looking for you guys, but it was hard with three of my friends in tow. Conditions were really not that bad so I'm hoping it's not the end of the season yet. I feel a sick day coming up soon...might end up at Mt. Creek though since it's much closer for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent conditions today, believe it or not! The rain Friday was minor, I'm told. Anyway, snow was great and was still great when I reluctantly left 3 pm or so. Raceway was almost empty; I stayed on it the whole time with the big red board (Ogasaka 185 from Excelsior the Fathead). I bet tomorrow morning will be good until afternoon--anyone going?

Really nice again this morning. Not quite up to yesterday, and got soft a little faster, but still good when I left at noon. Raceway, that is... never got off it. Marjie's was reported to be great by an alpinist I see frequently but don't know...

NickG, the 185 is really fun. Very stable at speeds I don't even want to be going. Much easier to maneuver than I'd expect... I'm getting to the point I don't require the entire Raceway! Easy to thread down the narrow little runs, but not what I'd like to be on if it's narrow and crowded.

Keltacer, if you can switch tomorrow for Friday you might get better conditions... but who knows? I will be there both mornings, maybe with soft boots in reserve.

They actually made snow last night. A lot went to the runout of Raceway to Sunbowl... as the sun beat on it it got slower and slower, to the point where at noon it was like hitting a rubber traction mat.

Glenn, Greg and I rode BM yesterday (Wed), ran into Chubz at the end of the day (woa, 4 'piners, guess that was BMES 2012 :) ....

It was without a doubt the best carving I've had there this season from 9-11 am when it started getting 'fluky', too soft and slow.

Pretty sure I'm going to get a Weekday Only Season Pass for CB next year.

Just can't justify BM double the cost of CB any longer, and CB allows Early Access to pass holders, correct ??

Glenn, Greg and I rode BM yesterday (Wed), ran into Chubz at the end of the day (woa, 4 'piners, guess that was BMES 2012 :) ....

It was without a doubt the best carving I've had there this season from 9-11 am when it started getting 'fluky', too soft and slow.

Pretty sure I'm going to get a Weekday Only Season Pass for CB next year.

Just can't justify BM double the cost of CB any longer, and CB allows Early Access to pass holders, correct ??

Sounds fun :) I wish i could get up there during the week like old times...

John, the CB value pass at $200 is VERY worth it. Despite any claims to the contrary by CB, you don't really get any perks with it, though. The only downside is being limited to post-3pm riding on the weekends. But, you'd be surprised how much it clears out on a saturday night - and if you know the right runs, you never have to look over your shoulder or wait in line for a chair. Sadly, I don't think I'll go back to blue...CB has some excellent carving runs (granted...not as good as lazy mile or paradise on an empty day) but still very high quality. I also think their snowmaking and grooming is slightly better.

And most importantly, we might get the chance to ride together!

JP1, you only get early access (and that on weekends) with the deluxe pass, which I think is maybe as much or more than Blue. But weekday mornings are great, and as NickG said, it often clears out around 6 pm, even weekdays.

I think the thing to do is alternate: get the CB value pass and ride Blue/CB this year till close, then CB next year and in the spring, get Blue's weekday-only deal and ride CB and Blue for the remainder of the year... but I was so disappointed with Blue last year and the one time I went this year that I think I'll do CB again and maybe also a Bear Creek pass for evening (CB is too far to have any time left for evening for me with my current schedule)

Friday was pretty good. Keltacer was there as well. The pace of softening up was fast enough to tell the difference from one run to the next. I guess we left around 2. Still rideable but a little scary on the lower, softer parts, and more people. Saturday started well; nice firm conditions on the right side (viewed from the lifts) but got busy fast (partly because of the Tele-Fest). Keltacer and I moved to the Nile Mile side but it was not really carveworty: loose stuff over bumpy ice. Rode Marc Antony (I think that's it), pretty good conditions but wasn't working for me. Packed it in before noon. Ran into NickG and crew; they had been riding Rhododendron Glen--they said no one was using the jumps and they just carved around them. Perfect! I bet this morning was nice. Still upset I couldn't make it--did anyone go?

Yes, it's a nice board. I'm about 190-200 lbs w/o gear and it's about right, I think. I had it out two good days last week and it worked great--I was starting to get the turns small enough to not take up the whole of our one wide run. Got nice compliments from ski patrollers on it (and a lot of people asking about it). Very good grip on icy stuff, but without much locked-in feeling. It took a while getting the toeside-to-heelside transition right... maybe stance or maybe just me being too tentative. It is easy to ride on narrow runs, skidding when necessary etc. Just not the board for carving on the runs we have left, or riding in weekend crowds, so it's getting storage waxed unless I can get out west soon or we get some winter.

Cool teach, glad it found a good home. Originally that boards retail price was 1300$ in Japan!!!! It was pretty close to new when I sold it to Fathead. I don't think he road it much. Happy to see it put to use. Ride on!!

(I am afraid I am around 245lbs) I only road it briefly with a Donek Plate on it.

• 4 weeks later...