Note to New Members ×

Camelback

teach

Even without actual winter, Camelback has been pretty good. Yesterday was really nice, and I finally got to ride Raceway again, with good grooming and few people. Even Sunday night was pretty good on Honeymoon Lane -- others were too bumpy to ride safely (for me).

It hasn't been bad at all. There was one day about 2 weeks ago where I went and the entire mountain was just a sheet of solid ice. Luckily, I have the value pass there and just did a few runs and went home. The weekends there have been super crowded during the day but starts to thin out around 4-5 ish. I was there last saturday and it was just way to crowded for me to ride comfortably so I threw the plate bindings on a 158 arbor coda. Had a ton of fun with this set up on a super crowded mountain.

Looking at the weather...this weekend should be nice if it stays below freezing on saturday. I will be there saturday night (value pass as well). I finally got my drift camera working so I need to shoot some videos that aren't of people just sliding down ice and yelling at each other. :eplus2:

@teach - we really need to ride together! I have seen like one other hardbooter this season (probably b/c I'm not at blue).

Actually, this past weekend (2/4) really wasn't bad at night. It was slushy during the day but once the sun went down it got pretty firm. There were a couple runs on the right side of the mountain (I take "The Birches" and then do the greens/blues down from there and the snow was surprisingly good. Another good one is just to the right of the top lodge (when facing down the mountain); it's an ice/death-pile black but the bottom of it was fantastic.

I've been trying to understand the EC style and it's slowly getting there, I feel pretty confident using push-pull (or some semblance of it) but I seriously do not understand how you lay out using it. hard to find good runs to do it on, though - maybe raceway will be groomed this time...

anyone who's going to be up there, feel free to email me or post here - i think we all learn the most when we ride together:biggthump

Nick, I should be there Saturday and/or Sunday. If it looks really good I may go first thing AM and use one of my Triple Tickets.

The run to the right of the top lodge is Marjie's Delight. It is often really good. I love the part after it flattens out and widens out.

Funny, I see lots (5 is a lot!) of hardbooters at Camelback but almost never used to at Blue. I think it's just the time.

Edited by teach
must mention abundance of hardbooters

Nick, I should be there Saturday and/or Sunday. If it looks really good I may go first thing AM and use one of my Triple Tickets.

The run to the right of the top lodge is Marjie's Delight. It is often really good. I love the part after it flattens out and widens out.

Funny, I see lots (5 is a lot!) of hardbooters at Camelback but almost never used to at Blue. I think it's just the time.

you know, it looks like I will be there Saturday for sure. Hunter is closer (my home mountain really) but there is a family party I have to attend on the CB mountain for the b4bc charity. I'll be on soft boots as I am anticipating LARGE crowds there (hopefully I am wrong in that guess!). I like the idea of Marjie's, I love to rip wide, flat areas after descending at high speed off a black. cheers, carves and all that other good stuff.

I'll be on soft boots as I am anticipating LARGE crowds there (hopefully I am wrong in that guess!)

The large crowds thing...it depends when you go. If you will be there during the day...all I can say is "good luck." Strangely enough, for the past 3-4 weeks, even with good snow, it has really cleared out around 6pm. So from 6-10pm can actually be pretty nice. This year I have yet to think "my god this sucks, let's just leave." I wear bright orange pants and I will probably be with another carver.

:biggthump

U guys b on soft or hard gear ? Maybe i bring the donek fc. Is there enough cover not to ruin my hb loaner ?

I actually haven't even mounted bindings on my soft boards this year haha - Kind of forget what it's like. I probably should bring one to get the muscle memory back.

I wouldn't worry about cover; CB's base is fine. It's just people you have to worry about. I'm a lot more confident this year than previous years, so I have been fine even with the crowds. My friend who just started HB'ing this year sometimes brings his soft board, but he never uses it. I'm not doing double blacks or anything (not that you really even can at CB), just cruising blues. Snow has sucked so bad for softbooting that I really haven't felt the need :freak3:

U guys b on soft or hard gear ? Maybe i bring the donek fc. Is there enough cover not to ruin my hb loaner ?

On Monday the snow cover was fine. I stayed mostly on the left side of the mountain which was freshly groomed at noon. There were a bunch of small rocks thou mixed into the snow.

I'll definitely b there. not sure of the equipment yet.

I'll look for a hardboot crowd with orange pants. My gear does not stand out. But my grey goatee certainly does.

And if I see lines I'll do my best to criss-cross them up so you know another bomber is on the hill.

Saturday.

Who else is up for the Camelback Carvers Convergence tomorrow afternoon/evening? Anyone coming for the morning?

Blue Mt has season passes for next season discounted, with the rest of this season included. Chubz, maybe that was for you? That's the earliest I've seen this deal... must be really bad this year.

Slowest snow I've ridden this year yesterday. Nice texture, almost chalk, but bumpy by the time I got there (6:30). I bet it was great earlier. I didn't see any other carvers. It was really busy and didn't empty out as it usually does. Bumpy + crowded = scary. I will give another try this evening.

Slowest snow I've ridden this year yesterday. Nice texture, almost chalk, but bumpy by the time I got there (6:30). I bet it was great earlier. I didn't see any other carvers. It was really busy and didn't empty out as it usually does. Bumpy + crowded = scary. I will give another try this evening.

I made it to CB saturday. parked right next to bus stop by Glen lodge. Got on slope about 10 a.m.

As we stood in front of Glen lodge, trying to figure out which lift to take, we saw 2 massive collisions between beginners (going downslope from the bunnies, and perpendicular traffic coming of the park lifts). This one adult "girl one girl" smash was for the record books !! WOW

It was overwhelming, to be honest, trying to navigate with the crowds dictating the lifts we took up. After some false starts we finally found our best bet to be the double in front of the main lodge. The blacks off the top were already sporting mini moguls so carving up there was not too rewarding. You can come smoking off the bottom of the black and start pumping those awesome flats but the crowds there dictated your lines and the snow was really bumped out. Roller, dirt bike type "whoop dee doos" that got worse as you approached the end of the run and could get you into serious trouble if you let them take you by surprise in the flat light and intense traffic.

Honestly, that mountain would be a good carving time mid-week on a bluebird day. The best feature of the mountain is those green "slow skiing" signs that site lonesome in the middle of those big, flat areas (right after a black descent). You could just smoke a 360 around them with no consequences if you blew it up. Of course, on Saturday it was doable, but you had to wait out the crowds and there were mini moguls all around them. But that just raised the bar. It was a fun hammering away at them.

Lots of fun things going on in the bars and out on the decks. Lots of friendly staff on mountain. Lots of smiling people. And there were so many people apparently learning to ski or board that you just laughed until it hurt watching all the action. Especially by King Tut !!

Looked for orange ski pants and hardboots constantly. Not a one was spotted, not a single line in the snow :confused:

Anyway, we will always remember camelback. My daughter's boyfriend proposed to her at the base of the main lodge double chair ! And the whole place was cheering with us ..

And then, we got that $9 buffet at the Mount Airy with our lift tickets. Man, was that ever worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm, we were there last night. stuck mostly to raceway and cliffhanger. the other side of the mountain was too crowded for us. you gotta know where to go. we were there from 5 - 10pm. i agree, snow was interesting, not necessarily bad, usually pretty supportive. there were some spots of just pellet covered ice which are almost hopeless. i had never been on cliffhanger before, it is a reallllly good slope! it says double black but i would say it's really a black, and it's really wide.

well i guess we'll try for next weekend

• 2 weeks later...

Camelback has the Alien Pass deal now -- a pass from another mountain gets you a free lift ticket and Camelcard good for bucketloads of goodies and discounts. Also, the Value Pass sale is on: $199 for next year and you get the rest of this year thrown in.

Ryan, is that you on the home page?

Sunday evening was the worst ever... well, worst this year. Really crowded, ice with piles of sugar.

Presidents' Day week... d'oh! That's why it was so scary Sunday night!

Anyone up for 1st thing Saturday or Sunday morning? I have "triple tickets" I need to use; the Value Pass is good for all days starting in March. Also, all you alien pass holders (JP1...), your pass is good for a free ticket at Camelback AND a Camelcard!

anyone planning to ride Camelback Sunday Feb. 26? Might be looking to take advantage of the "Alien" lift ticket plan, since I have a season pass from another resort.

I actually prefer riding alpine at Camelback due to the long wide winding trails.

Also did anyone notice the hardbooter on the front page of skicamelback.com website?