Note to New Members ×

Which TF liners for low instep?

Aracan

Another boot-related question has arisen, and I hope you can help me:

My wife uses Blax/Head boots and has just now upgraded to orange Stratos Pros. Since the stock liner provides a less than ideal fit, we molded a Palau overlap liner - I think it's the "Overlap Liner Soft". Molding got good results, and the size is right, BUT:

These liners lack volume at the instep/beginning of the shin. They just don't really fill up the space between foot and shell.

The stock liners actually do a better job of that, I'm guessing because of the tongue.

Can any of you offer an opinion as to which moldable liners would be better suited to solve this? I notice that Palau does offer thermo liners with tongues, but none of them are recommended for alpine snowboarding.

Maybe you can use the liners you have. I have been applying the "boot-fitting foam" that Tognar Toolworks sells to spots where the liner needs more volume, and it works well so far. I think they sell a special pre-cut shape for the instep/shin area. (I think most ski shops have this stuff, so you don't need to go to Tognar; that's just where I saw it).

Or instead of a bunch of F-ing around not really knowing what you're doing, make her an appointment with your local boot fitter.

Also, does she have a foot bed in there? A lot of thermo liners don't come with them and she should really have one in there and (obviously) they take up volume.

make her an appointment with your local boot fitter.

I'm considering that, since bootfitting paraphernalia are hard to come by hereabouts if you aren't a sports shop.

Also, does she have a foot bed in there?

Yes, custom ones which already do take up considerable volume, though not enough.

...since bootfitting paraphernalia are hard to come by hereabouts if you aren't a sports shop.

As mentioned in another thread on the topic, you can use sections of a neoprene mouse pad for fit foam. You could also deconstruct either an unloved stuffed animal (Not a Steiff) or perhaps a sofa cushion.

These liners lack volume at the instep/beginning of the shin. They just don't really fill up the space between foot and shell.

The stock liners actually do a better job of that, I'm guessing because of the tongue.

Maybe excise that tongue from its liner, and install it, in whole or in part, in the new liner? (Dental floss makes decent suture).

Layers of elastic duct tape, (E.G., Nashua 557) can also work for fine tuning.