Note to New Members ×

2012 Riding at Whitetail

piusthedrcarve

Whitetail is located in border of PA/MD but most of riders from VA/MD/WV and southern PA. So I am riding this tread under here.

<01/06/12>

Went there before 8:30 a.m. and rode.

Due to cold weather last 4 days, WT made tons of snow. Groom was not that good. Groomed next groomed left big ridge/bump and good to ride titanial to go through easy. 'SnowPark' and part of 'LimeLight' was opened. 'LimeLight' and 'Angel Drop' was o.k. but only opened for the half of those trails .. so GS decks was little hard. Wish had SL board for those trails.

Majorly rode 'SnowPark'. Around 11, snow was gotten soft. Changed to BX board and hit AngelDrop and Jib Junction to hit some jumps twice and called it a day on 1.

I noticed it was 63F when I left.

Rode Prior WCRM 173 & F2 Eliminator WC with FR1

piusthedrcarve,

Thanks for the report, I've been wondering about the conditions at WT. I haven't made it out this season, due to warm temperatures. Next week however seems promising.

I just woke up (3am) and the first thing that came to mind is WT. I was checking out WT snow cams and I could barely make out the mountain, guns are blowing. Finally! I notice they have a lot of trails open. I think I'll stay up and head out around 7am. :biggthump

Great riding with you this morning Grock5. You were making some nice turns.

Snow Park was definitely the best run today. I went and checked out a few of the runs over off of the high speed quad and everything was skiied off. Snow Park kept that great snow all morning.

Let me know when you are going to head up to Liberty.

My wife and I will be back at Whitetail next Saturday and Sunday as well.

Jason

zoo....

Se7ven and I got there before 8:30 but one parking lot was already FULL. :eek:

I guess it's because it was the first day of opening black diamond trails. Around 10, Lift line wait became +15 min. so we used single lift line to minimize time loss on slopes. The MagicCarpet? didn't do good job. stopped avg. 3 times while going up with the crowd.

Snow was soft. Too soft for hardbooting after 3 days of non-stop blowing. and they were blowing still whole morning. Needed to ride at center of board.

Grooming was ok but 2 unseen rollers on middle of SnowPark?

Saw 2 other hardbooters and, again, the 70 yrs old Catholic priest from last year. He was on Virus Scalpel this time. God is fair :D

Met a guy who ran toward me (literally) and asked me about hardbooting. Told him about BOL and even offered him alpine gears to try out next times.

Overall, it was still a fun day at slopes.

Hi,

I, too, have been wondering about the local DC-area resorts. I just took a quick look on the sites today and it looks like (not surprisingly) Ski Roundtop (SRT) has the best conditions?

Anyway, are you guys on the Mid-Atlantic Carving (MAC) email alias? If not, you may want to get added...I'm going to take a guess that most people on that list wouldn't mind reading your snow reports. And the distro hasn't been very active the past few years.

I rode plates for 1/2 run last year so I'm quite rusty...but may be up for meeting at 'Tail...if the snow isn't soft (loose granular)

Barry

Hi,

I, too, have been wondering about the local DC-area resorts. I just took a quick look on the sites today and it looks like (not surprisingly) Ski Roundtop (SRT) has the best conditions?

Anyway, are you guys on the Mid-Atlantic Carving (MAC) email alias? If not, you may want to get added...I'm going to take a guess that most people on that list wouldn't mind reading your snow reports. And the distro hasn't been very active the past few years.

I rode plates for 1/2 run last year so I'm quite rusty...but may be up for meeting at 'Tail...if the snow isn't soft (loose granular)

Barry

Barry,

I was on the list last year but somehow I don't get any email from the MAC. If I'm not on the list, please add me. piusthedrgolf at gmail dot com

Taking a snow day tomorrow and heading to WT. Weekends get really busy and possible rain/mix is in the forecast for Sat. If anyone can make it out, I'll get there around 8am and leave at noon.

Se7ven and I will be there around 8:30 a.m. for first chair of SnowPark.

See u tomorrow. we will be on VSR & SG. Can't miss us.

WT made some snow over few days after rain we had Tuesday and were making snow all day.

Rode from 8:30 to noon on SnowPark mostly. Cloudy sky. 25'F.

The upper part of SnowPark was half-opened. Since they were blowing snow all over the trail, especially the Bottom half of SnowPark. it was pretty slow. Visibility sucked. But better than MLK. not many people :biggthump

Met loupa5 & davekempmeister around 9:30 and rode few runs with them.

Around 11, sky cleared up. Sun came out but still below 32'F and condition got better. Great time.

it was a good time - nice to see you both, Pius and Loupa. I stayed until 5 and flat light/fatigue/dinner calling sent me home. good 8 hour shift to be sure.

I hit the obligatory Whitetail rock under the lift (courtesy of a thug/hater, no doubt) but, who cares?

you guys have to go to Wisp with me one day (I'll drive - safely, no less) if we can work it out. $29 mid-week is their gimmick this year. awesome.

I had a nice day out with you guys. Dave, wow you stayed until 5. You're in better shape than me. I don't think I would have lasted that long. Pius, I'll take you up on your offer next time we meet. I'm in for Wisp, just need to know a day in advance. I decided to go today with my wife. WT got 5 inches of snow and the conditions were better than yesterday. Of course the crowd was building up as the morning progressed but it wasn't too bad.

The only issue we had was the magic carpet gate kept malfunctioning. For those who have not traveled to WT this season. WT installed a magic carpet to assist with loading patrons onto the lift. I like to call it "The Magic Lego Belt". Before you enter the Lego Belt, there's a gate and it opens/closes to allow access to chair. It was only yesterday I was thinking how long this new contraption would hold up. Today, the gate would jam and not let anyone pass and the whole time you're waiting for the gatekeeper to fix the gate, empty chairs carousel by empty. This happened several times so now, not only do we have to wait on beginners learning curve on entering & exiting the lift, we have to contend with the gate. So dress warm in case you're suspended on the chairlift waiting, while you freeze your a##. I should have dressed warm but who knew...:freak3:

you guys have to go to Wisp with me one day (I'll drive - safely, no less) if we can work it out. $29 mid-week is their gimmick this year. awesome.

Dave, let me know in advance what date you are going. I'll definitely go if my schedule is allowed.

Pius, I'll take you up on your offer next time we meet.

Loupa, Sure. Just let me know when. Still couldn't dial in with UPZ. Widening stance helped but not still 100%. Feel like I need more heel lift. :eek: If I had stamina like Dave, I might got it but quit after a run with Dave at Noon.

Pius,

I cannot add you b/c I do not own the list. Mark Brown (he's on BOL) owns the list....no one seems to use it much anymore at all. I noticed that last year, too. The year before that, it was used pretty often (from what I remember).

I got a last minute invite to Wintergreen Resort (near Charlottesville) and ended up getting in my first day (finally). Not a bad mountain, and definitely carve worthy (IMO) if the trails don't get too bumped up.

BTW, where in VA are you? I'm in Arlington (right off of 66).

no one seems to use it much anymore at all. I noticed that last year, too. The year before that, it was used pretty often (from what I remember).

I signed up 2 years ago and I believe I opted-out since bunch of spam emails were coming from the MAC email.

I live in Fairfax and WT is...my 'go-to' slopes. But Farside is not opened yet.. so.. I'm bummed.

Pius,

What kind of spam did you receive? That's the first I've ever heard of that. Mark Brown runs the list from a private server. I've never heard of any issue....

I'd love to hit the slopes Sunday if conditions are OK...but with the very mild winter continuing, I'm not counting on it....

Barry

Pius,

What kind of spam did you receive? That's the first I've ever heard of that. Mark Brown runs the list from a private server. I've never heard of any issue....

I'd love to hit the slopes Sunday if conditions are OK...but with the very mild winter continuing, I'm not counting on it....

Barry

I don't remember exactly but some emails from the MAC server was delivered around I believe Feb. or March last year. Maybe not junk mails but I opted out? Possible~

Anyhow, temp. just hit 60'F.. I was hoping Feb. would be better than Jan. but forecast is not. :(

Hey All!

Just started alpine riding... This is my rookie season, my total experience on alpine 5 days worth of riding. I usually go to WTail on Tuesdays and Wednesdays... Hoping to meet other alpine riders in the area, and definitely could use some help figuring out my heelside turns. Toesides have been pretty tight and solid, but I keep swishing skids on heelside.

Anyone out there?

Joe

Hi Pius!

I definitely agree about the weather, it's been a pretty sad winter so far:(. I have yet to ride my alpine setup on firm, chalky courduroy, all I've gotten it on so far is soft wet snow, bleh. I may ride tomorrow at Whitetail in the early morning until it warms up, I'll pretty much stay on Snowpark. The conditions are probably gonna be marginal for carving, but I have work on heelside drills some more, this heelside skidding business is getting frustrating:angryfire.

I have yet to ride my alpine setup on firm, chalky courduroy, all I've gotten it on so far is soft wet snow, bleh.

vizsyn, SAT & SUN will be cold enuff to make some snow at WT. But I don't want to hassle with big crowd on weekend. I'm thinking on Monday first chair.

Loupa5, If you can make it on Monday, I will bring the Madd. Let me know.