Note to New Members ×

And the most bad-ass softboot is...

Rob Stevens

Wow! That is awsome! Vibram sole, looks stiff too?
a reasonable amount of the commentary on the euro tweak/jib/dumbass/brobras boards says deeluxe soft boots tend to the stiffer end of the scale, but obviously since they arent made by burton they can't be any good. :biggthump

those look like a convincing backcountry boot though. wonder how rich the tread is.

edit: oh yeah, they are. http://www.sparkrandd.com/products/spark-boot/

I pressed on the picture till the screen cracked and still they did not budge, so very stiff! lotsa lean to be seen there.... Just a pity I don't know what to do with soft boots. My off piste rig is F2 Titanium bales with Raichle 123 boots (and F2 Boxxter board).

how can you asses that it looks stiff compared to not soft just from a picture? hehe

That's why I said "looks" and not "feels" ;) There is a question mark somwhere there too...

Otherwise, Vibram soles are normaly stiffer then ordinary ones, cuffs are tall, there's a power strap on top, thin quick laces are often less stretchy then normal ones, etc...

I also like how the sole edns short of the heel, for less drag.

They're not overly stiff.

What I like is that they put the stiffness where it counts, to reduce fatigue. They're not trying to make a hardboot, though it does carve "better" in that you can do it with less effort.

What I noticed is far less quad burn, because you're not constantly curling your toes, or going "on pointe" to keep your arch from reversing in a toe turn. It also doesn't matter if your baseplate isn't padded and shaped. It doesn't care what you're standing on.

So many boots have tried to get this result through overly-stiff construction, limiting the riders ability to micro-manage edge angle and pressure, resulting in a ride that doesn't meet any of the criteria the manufacturers were hoping for.

This boot does.

• 2 weeks later...
They're not overly stiff.

What I like is that they put the stiffness where it counts, to reduce fatigue. They're not trying to make a hardboot, though it does carve "better" in that you can do it with less effort.

What I noticed is far less quad burn, because you're not constantly curling your toes, or going "on pointe" to keep your arch from reversing in a toe turn. It also doesn't matter if your baseplate isn't padded and shaped. It doesn't care what you're standing on.

So many boots have tried to get this result through overly-stiff construction, limiting the riders ability to micro-manage edge angle and pressure, resulting in a ride that doesn't meet any of the criteria the manufacturers were hoping for.

This boot does.

sounds like a winner, your description is pretty much how I felt about the burton Ion and driver way back. now I'm in the market for a set of softboots again, will consider these