Note to New Members ×

Spam created when joining Bomberonline.com

eastcoastcarve

I don't know if anyone else has seen this but a few days ago I joined this form. I like it and there are lots of good forms to read and comment on however...

I always create a new email address for use with new forms and found out that some how bomberonline.com lets there address list and in less than 24 hours I have recived spam from over 12 different locations.

Anybody else have this happen?

John

I don't know if anyone else has seen this but a few days ago I joined this form. I like it and there are lots of good forms to read and comment on however...

I always create a new email address for use with new forms and found out that some how bomberonline.com lets there address list and in less than 24 hours I have recived spam from over 12 different locations.

Anybody else have this happen? John

I hate to say it but your not the first and I'm not proud to be the first :( Still pops but less frequent... http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35021

Hmmm..and you r from BC...

I'll let u know if I can get rid off...

RT

No I don't get pop up spam, but the email address that I used to register for the form started getting ad spam emails as soon as I was registered. I know they are somehow a product of signing up to this form as this is the only location I have every used this new email address for. John

Ok then youl be the first then..;) But still annoying...both ways. From Leopard no problemo just from Vista... Will make plan to see a spam/virus TERMINATOR...

Cheers

RT

Ahh someone important is watching....:biggthump

Anybody else have this happen?

John

Never have:

- or you have had your direct emailaddress in your profile,

- or your computer/outlook/emailsoftware addressbook has a virus so they

can follow you. Has nothing to do with Bomber. Use some good and several 'cleaners' for your computer so now and then. I use them twice a week to get rid of them.

Very strange indeed. Your e-mail stays with-in our software and is not distributed or shared. So unless they have hacked into our server not sure how they would get it?

Couple of things to note: you have a Yahoo account and you used the same handle here as you did there (your user name). I would suggest not doing that as I have heard these bots now strip user names from forums and then put all the "@XXXXX.com" they can behind them. Let me know, I can change your user name. We can also change your e-mail, do the above, and then see if the spam happens again. My guess is it won't.

Very strange indeed. Your e-mail stays with-in our software and is not distributed or shared. So unless they have hacked into our server not sure how they would get it?

Couple of things to note: you have a Yahoo account and you used the same handle here as you did there (your user name). I would suggest not doing that as I have heard these bots now strip user names from forums and then put all the "@XXXXX.com" they can behind them. Let me know, I can change your user name. We can also change your e-mail, do the above, and then see if the spam happens again. My guess is it won't.

Fin, since you on this case: My case the pop up advertizing only when I enter BOL site not other site and when I chose the BOL Home site. It seems didn't trigger if I enter from Classified

Jack was on my case last time...

FYI:

- I excess BOL the most :rolleyes:

- The QuiBids dot com is the pops:mad:

- The frequent now about 10 times each time I enter BOL

Thanks,

RT

CarvingScooby,

Dang, hate to tell you but that sounds local on your side. I know we have no pop-ups on our site so it is not from us. Now why it triggers when you come to our site not sure. Have you done the standard "cleaning" of your browser history and cookies yet?

CarvingScooby,

Dang, hate to tell you but that sounds local on your side. I know we have no pop-ups on our site so it is not from us. Now why it triggers when you come to our site not sure. Have you done the standard "cleaning" of your browser history and cookies yet?

Yeah, I did that every week. Last one was last Sunday.

RT

Like I said, it is something local. If you log-on with the same info. on another computer does it still do it?

Sounds like you have some high level malware on your computer. Had one here at the shop that got tagged by a really bad malware. Pop-up kept coming up saying the computer was infected and we needed to basically "buy" their software to fix it. Brought the computer to its knees and eventually had to reformat.

Try http://www.malwarebytes.org/ as i have used it with good success. Found some nasty stuff that was causing havoc on a computer here.

Like I said, it is something local. If you log-on with the same info. on another computer does it still do it?

Sounds like you have some high level malware on your computer. Had one here at the shop that got tagged by a really bad malware. Pop-up kept coming up saying the computer was infected and we needed to basically "buy" their software to fix it. Brought the computer to its knees and eventually had to reformat.

Try http://www.malwarebytes.org/ as i have used it with good success. Found some nasty stuff that was causing havoc on a computer here.

Other is an IMAC; we know that's trouble free...

Will try, thx for lookin into. Got already latest McAvee in it..I guess not working. Any advice for better TERMINATOR?

RT

LOL-about the Mac comment. When a OS has less than 7% of the personal computer market, why would hackers bother? Mac ain't where the money is...

Forget McAfee or Norton, hackers write programs knowing those programs' weakness. In fact, I once had a software engineer tell me that McAfee and Norton programmers moonlight with hacker groups. I have a two-fold guard, a good browser with a popup blocker and dual security programs.

I have far more spam from FB. Of course, the gold mine of spam was the day I was stupid enough to answer a Newsmax.com poll! As for BOL-never any spam. In fact, I would guess your possible BOL spam may be actually through the "mind reading magic" of Google or Google Chrome...

Be safe out there-the internet is one big data mining shopping mall nowadays

This database could be hacked ofcourse. You might want to try out putting a user into the database by hand, don't evere log in or post, set up the mailaccount on your mailserver and just wait. Use something like somerandomname@bomberonline.com for the registration email address.

If you ever get spam on that address you know you have a security problem. Hacked databases are pretty common, more common than you wish. People get in by using common known security holes in your open source forum software, the hosting database, the hosting operating system or even your hosting provider.

Sometimes those flaws are used by scriptkiddies and you notice, but most hackers just sell your account info for a few cents per address.

Just bought a new HP laptop (Windows 7 - 64 bit). When using Chrome my first visit to Bomber brought up a warning from PC Tools saying the site was unsafe. I figured it was an error on the part of PC Tools and instructed it to allow access.

I've been visiting this site for years and never had a problem. Not sure what PC Tools thought they found.

This makes the most sense of all the ideas / reasons as to why this could happen. Good incite. I will send you a private message and change things a bit on my end.

Thanks!

MS have a fix that worked for me. Fortunately the malware only infected one desktop, so was able to download the MS software on another desktop. Good reason to have more than one desktop set up maybe.