Note to New Members ×

GOPro HD vs Drift 170 Stealth HD vs Contour HD vs ATC9K

CarvingScooby

Any one experience with these cameras; greatly appreciated for pitching in the pros and cons. Wud like to invest in one of these camera...too many times supposedly great actions shots missed...

Thanks in advance,

RT

NOTE: Hero Go Pro came up with attached screen and 1080P

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DGXPKHbOm7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vimeo is blocked here at work but if you look up videos by Futahaguro you can see the ones I made with my Drift HD 170, non-stealth version.

1. A definite advantage is the video screen. I do find myself checking it occasionally to make sure things are working and to maybe watch a vid on the lift. I can just pop it off the mount and view it really quick.

2. You will need the bigger battery. Cold temps shorten the life and it is best to have a backup.

3. I like the ability to rotate the lens to make sure it is at the correct angle.

4. The water resistance seems to work. I have bailed into the snow with it many times and it hasn't had a problem yet.

5. The size is okay. I still think I would like the POV system better because it is smaller but then I would have a cable going into my jacket and stuck to my head. Don't bother with the goggle mount. The camer is too heavy and it bounces around. The helmet mount is the best and it is nice and smooth because you head is staying stable most of the time. It is also very easy to hold it in your hand and get some different angles.

6. The remote works great. Even when it is on my helmet I can hear the different beep sounds when I start or stop things. I just attach the remote on the outside of my jacket and even with my gloves on I can activate it.

7. Microphone? Well, it sucks when you are riding:) All wind noise. You could probably find a way to fix that but I never bothered.

8. It uses SD cards so storage capacity is a non-issue. Just keep a few spares if you don't want to get a big one.

9. The night mode doesn't work that well but I doubt any of them do. Small lenses just cannot capture that much light. The camera feature is fine but I never use it. There is no loop mode like the POV so if you forget to turn it on, you're screwed.

Overall I like it.

My $.03 (inflation)

My experiences so far with a Contour 1080, modified to have an external mike.

SunSurfer

Nice job...and no wind noise. Thx.

...I made with my Drift HD 170, non-stealth version.

Thanks for detail expalanatory.

What can we do to reduce "wind noise" when you don't have external mic. Is it pssible to adjust the mic. vol.?

SDCard - For Video shooting: Does it make a difference using those HC - Class 10 - U1? I know for Point shoot or DSLR it will make a difference on Burst but for Video?

Anyone.... keep it coming. Thx.

RT

What can we do to reduce "wind noise" when you don't have external mic. Is it pssible to adjust the mic. vol.?

Um, if you're getting wind noise then changing the level (not really the volume) would make no difference really, the wind noise is right there, it's the loudest thing. Not sure what the mics are like on those; the Go Pro gets a wind noise and has no sensible windshield. I'd not be wanting to use that sound.

I would suggest a separate pro-quality sound recorder - I've a couple of those, one Samson and the other Olympus. You could put one of those in your pocket with a windshield (watch for handling noise...) and get yourself heavy breathing if you like. What are you trying to record?

.....and get yourself heavy breathing if you like. What are you trying to record?
The sound field on the ski field while I'm riding, and in particular, the sound of clean, tight carved turns!

Sound is easily 50% of a good video, and a powerful part of bringing back the memories of a great day.

SunSurfer

You could try someone recording with a static camera as you ride past, which would avoid the problem. From the rider's perspective it's going to be a challenge. I guess you just have to try a microphone in various places, so it's going to need to be off the camera for sure.

I didn't have any problems with my Class 4 32GB Kingston. I think brand over Class makes more of a difference. I know what you are talking about with the DSLR cards and speed though. One thing I did to save money was to get a card that I could also use in my DSLR so I could swap them. Not sure if you have an SD compatble DSLR though.