Note to New Members ×

Catek freeride bindings

jburrill

i have a pair of the first ones, not the FR2's. Honestly, and maybe this is just me...but I don't know what you could break on these things...Seriously, what are people breaking? the sides? how are you putting that much force on them?

Granted, I only weigh 150lbs. I am hard on my gear, but I'm not reckless or irresponsible with it, either (not insinuating that any one is!).

I have to use locktite on the screws as finding replacements is annoying, but otherwise these bindings are amazing, though a little heavy. When you get them and start riding them, you will not regret it.

That's not the point. Things DO break. And not being able to buy replacement parts is almost a deal-breaker.

For me it's the toe-strap / boot-plate connection. It's appears to have been partially re-designed in the second version of the FR2's. A manageable fix, but annoying because all four of them broke on me as some point.

I've also stripped some of the holes where to heel-cup attaches to the boot-plate. (There are other holes to use, but not many if you need to fit a bigger boot) Whether through user-error or mis-engineering; I don't really care how it happened. I'd just like to call up and order a replacement. Based on others experiences, I haven't even tried.

Don't get me wrong, I love these bindings. And they're still rideable (with a toolkit and extra parts). But I've got to look for another solution before I'm going to spend more money with Catek.

T

T - that is a good point. Regardless of why/how it breaks, you should be able to call the company and get a replacement. I haven't had to deal with this yet...maybe my view will change once I do :nono:

Definitely something to consider when buying the bindings.

Regarding boot fit: I'm using k2 t1's (mp 28) and they interface pretty well. I still need to dial in the toe strap but otherwise they are a good match. Can't speak to the Drivers as those are the most uncomfortable boots i've ever tried haha.

i have a pair of the first ones, not the FR2's. Honestly, and maybe this is just me...but I don't know what you could break on these things...Seriously, what are people breaking? the sides? how are you putting that much force on them?

Granted, I only weigh 150lbs. I am hard on my gear, but I'm not reckless or irresponsible with it, either (not insinuating that any one is!).

I have to use locktite on the screws as finding replacements is annoying, but otherwise these bindings are amazing, though a little heavy. When you get them and start riding them, you will not regret it.

You gotta remember, big dudes can put a huge amount of force on gear. I am in your boat and weigh 155 so I usually don't break stuff but we have to consider ourselves lucky. I ride bikes a lot too and big dudes are constantly breaking gear in that sport. There is only so much fatigue life in material that is not steel, and steel is freakin' heavy.

i have a pair of the first ones, not the FR2's. Honestly, and maybe this is just me...but I don't know what you could break on these things...

too many to count. and which cannot be broken - will be lost. incredibly overengineered P.O.C.-wannabe device, which can be rebuilt by dedicated mech only using pound of threadlocker. bought some 4 years ago - tried & gladly sold week later

definitely not recommended. head-turner though, if that is what counts...

PS I'm happy user of nidecker 900 carbons & flow xfr carbons (pre-NXT, bombproof & heavy)