Note to New Members ×

Bought a board, don't know what to do!

mikeyboy123

Hi,

Bought a new board the other day and not sure if I should keep it.

It popped up on ebay here in the UK, an unused Volkl RT GS (a renntiger?) from 2006. It's a 173 with 19cm waist and 11.7m sidecut radius. Came complete with unused SP race plates which I think are also of 2006 vintage, all for GBP70.

My primary reason for buying it was to sell on later in the year on German ebay where there is much more interest in this sort of gear than in the UK. I hoped to make a profit which would go toward some boots. But now I have actually got the board, and at such a low price, I'm thinking of keeping it.

Now, I have hardly any experience with hard booting. I've done it for one day and am still really just exploring it. Until recently i was riding a Salomon Burner. I broke it earlier this year and now have an F2 Eliminator (standard model from last season) which I have not yet used. I have Salomon Malamute boots and SPX90 bindings.

Since riding the Burner I have gravitated more and more toward carving and that has lead to an interest in hard booting over the last few years. So I have been lurking around on sights like this, and sometimes asking silly questions. My attempts to try it have been mostly unsuccesful as wherever I go boarding, there's nowhere to hire the gear, apart from one occasion in italy last year when i found a shop that had a couple of baords and some boots that didn't fit me. I had a go on a Hot blast and really can't say I enjoyed it that much, but I was impressed by the really "carvey" feel.

So, I've got this board, but am worried if it's going to be a nightmare to learn on and if it's just too much board. It's a full on racer whereas I was hoping to learn on something a bit more sedate and a bit wider. Also, worried that I just won't be able to use it that much - I have read on some sites that it's really for racing and early morning runs before the terrain gets chopped up. Taking my last ski holiday as an example (Kitzbuhel in March), the snow was not great. Started off as slush in the morning and turned to bumpy slush throughtout the day. Not sure I would have been able to use a board like the Volkl RT all week.

So I don't want to keep hold of a board that's only really suitable for a really good hard booter in really good conditions. I want something I can learn on and will cope with whatever conditions are out there.

What do you think? Any point in me keeping it?

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Mike.

Well you didn't say how much you weigh, but that's a big board and a GS... popular as a style with many of the Americans here but if it's anything like the GS boards I have then they work best at Mach 2. So you may find them sub-optimal in much of the mountain. That's just my view, and these days I ride SL boards because of it.

That said I've never ridden Vokl boards so I don't really know how they're set up.

You lose the "unused" if you ride it at snow domes, although I'm not sure if that affects the value much as old technology doesn't have a lot of value anyway. On the other hand a GS board at a dome would be hard to enjoy - you could ride rings around most on it, but you wouldn't be able to get enough speed up to get it to work properly. Probably that would be a waste of time. I could lend you a couple-years old F2 SL which would be better.

I've not ridden the Eliminator either, although think that should good and it should work better with the softies. Someone here will have ridden one.

Thanks for your replies.

Think it's actually a 2007 board so a year younger than I thought.

Found this picture on web:-

post-9247-141842347217_thumb.jpg

Apparently, it has "titanal interfacing in upper and lower belts". Not sure exactly what that means, but from what I've read about titanal, it sounds like a good thing.

According to the spec sheet which is still stuck to the bottom of the board, the 173 was the longest board in the range that season and the weight range is 75kg+. I'm 90kg so should be fine in that regard.

My only concerns are that this a board really only suited to a very good rider and for use on perfect groom. If that's the case then don't think there's much point in me keeping it, but if it's actually more versatile than that and can be used in a reasonable variety of snow conditions on piste, and if you don't have to be up to racing standard to use it then I'll keep it. Would be grateful if those who have ridden this board could clarify on those points.

Thanks,

Mike.

For the money you will make and the hassle of posting to Europe, you might as well keep it. As has been mentioned 12m scr is not big by todays standard gs board and you are big enough to bend it.

See if you can get a pass out from your better half and come up to Scotland for the amazing winter thats on its way. I will be more than willing to meet up and help you out.

What size boots are you after?

As for indoors stick some plates on the Eliminator.

Okay, well thanks for the replies. Looks like I've managed to pick up quite a bargain.

Good to know that it's a more versatile board than a lot of the info on the web suggests.

Just need to get some boots and then i'll get myself down to an indoor slope and give it a go.

Willow, looking for 27.5 boots. i'll keep your offer of a scotland trip in mind. Thanks.

I have some Red Indy boots which I think are 27.0. They're the thermofit liner ones, usage marks on the outside and have had a few season's use but they're functionally perfect, well maintained and hygenic. You could borrow those to see if they'd work. They would be free to a good home really, I switched to Heads last season. PM me if that sounds like any use.

Phil,

Tried to pm you but looks like you're not set up to receive e-mails.

Anyway, thanks alot for the offer on the boots, I'll have a think about it and may well take you up on it if I can't get hold of something in the next few months. I'm really hoping to find a pair of 225s with intec heals already fitted.

Thanks,

Mike.

Okay, well thanks for the replies. Looks like I've managed to pick up quite a bargain.

Good to know that it's a more versatile board than a lot of the info on the web suggests.

Just need to get some boots and then i'll get myself down to an indoor slope and give it a go.

Willow, looking for 27.5 boots. i'll keep your offer of a scotland trip in mind. Thanks.

You lucky guy,i'm always searching on ebay europe all the time for alpine gear but for the last couple of weeks i stoped because there was nothing interesting for sale!

Hope you like hardbootig,if not i will be glad to buy the board from you with a little profit for you!

Send me a P.M if you regret your buy!

Hey Valsam,

Yeah, there's not much used gear in my size on ebay.de at the moment, just a generally quiet time of year for it, although things will probably pick up soon as the new season approaches. There is hardly ever alpine gear on ebay.uk, just got lucky I guess.

I'll see how it goes with the RT and will let you know if it doesn't work out.

Most boots (except Burton) use the same shell for the half size up, so you can look for a 27.0 as well. The stock liner may be a tighter to begin with, but it packs in. Burton shells sizes change on the half size, so you would need a 27.5/28.0.

Ok, thanks for info.

I've got my eye on the proflex grinder boots in the classifieds. I wonder if proflex boot shells also graduate in full sizes.

Seller isn't responding at moment, but anyone have any idea what sort of stiffness the grinders are?

Thanks,

Mike.