Note to New Members ×

Videos and copyright on the internet

Michelle

I'm looking through all these great you tube videos, and want to use a piece of something that is on youtube. Does anyone know what the copyright laws are? I hear if it's on the internet, it's free game which is why people watermark things.

If I can use stuff that's on youtube, does anyone know how to download a video from youtube to my computer? I'm assuming there's some software I have to buy, because there always is.

I'm looking through all these great you tube videos, and want to use a piece of something that is on youtube. Does anyone know what the copyright laws are? I hear if it's on the internet, it's free game which is why people watermark things.

If I can use stuff that's on youtube, does anyone know how to download a video from youtube to my computer? I'm assuming there's some software I have to buy, because there always is.

Don't know about the first part, but on the second part there is a firefox add-on called downloadhelper, install it and go to the page that you want to download the video, there is a little icon on the left side of the browser next to the home button, if you click on it you will get options to save the video file and at what quality.

Hi Michelle,

I go to Youtube and watch the Vid. then under the Vid. space is a share icon... push that and it highlights the Vid. Title, drag that onto your desktop like you would any photo or file and wallah

you have it... :)

Softboot, unless my computer is different all you are doing is making a copy of the hyperlink onto your computer so you can go back to the youtube page. You are not making a copy of the actual video file.

Thanks guys! I got a hint from someone to download the free real player. Once you download that, when you go to you tube and play a video, a box on top of the video will appear that says "download this video". It downloads it to your computer, and walllaaaa!

I'm still a bit confused about the legality of using videos that people have posted. I'm going with "ask for forgiveness later". :)

If you're using it for Bomber, for any kind of promotional use, then it isn't free. Just because something is on the internet without a watermark doesn't mean it isn't protected by copyright.

If you're just using it for something personal, then I wouldn't worry about it.

It isn't yours. Right?

Remembering sampling suits? Artists?

If you didn't create it, it is not yours.

right, but i've also been told that anything you put on FB is no longer copyrighted. the owner can watermark it, but anyone can still use it. I was wondering if that was the same for youtube.

I appreciate the feedback, but does anyone know for sure? I think these are guesses. I just don't want someone suing me because i used 30 sec of their video clip for an information video.

Being that it's used for a company (Bomber), it's WAY safer to contact the original video poster and ask their permission. You can usually send a message to the video poster directly through YouTube.

Lawsuits suck, and some spineless lawyer could try to convince a jury that your informational video led to that year's profits in full.

I would agree with Corey. Why not just ask the person that created it? I think most would be honored?

Best policy is to simply ask permission.

http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_copyright

How To Make Sure Your Video Does Not Infringe Someone Else's Copyrights

The way to ensure that your video doesn't infringe someone else's copyright is to use your skills and imagination to create something completely original. It could be as simple as taping some of your friends goofing around, and as complicated as filming your own short movie with a script, actors, and the whole works. If it's all yours, you never have to worry about the copyright—you own it! Make sure to follow the other guidelines in the terms of use, too.

right, but i've also been told that anything you put on FB is no longer copyrighted. the owner can watermark it, but anyone can still use it. I was wondering if that was the same for youtube.

I appreciate the feedback, but does anyone know for sure? I think these are guesses. I just don't want someone suing me because i used 30 sec of their video clip for an information video.

You retain copyright on anything you put on facebook.

See https://www.facebook.com/help/?page=439

and youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/t/terms (6.C.)

Youtube/facebook/the web in general acts more like a public place. If I paint a painting and display it in a public place, I still own all the rights to the painting - you're not allowed to make copies of that painting and use them for anything, despite the fact that I let people look at it for free in a public place.

Also see http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/10-misconceptions-about-the-public-domain.html question 6

Not a lawyer.

BTW, don't look at the lawyers and the original video owner as the bad guys - those laws are in there to protect people who make stuff. (just like patents and copyrights protect Bomber Industries :) )

You retain copyright on anything you put on facebook.

See https://www.facebook.com/help/?page=439

and youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/t/terms (6.C.)

Youtube/facebook/the web in general acts more like a public place. If I paint a painting and display it in a public place, I still own all the rights to the painting - you're not allowed to make copies of that painting and use them for anything, despite the fact that I let people look at it for free in a public place.

Also see http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/10-misconceptions-about-the-public-domain.html question 6

Not a lawyer.

BTW, don't look at the lawyers and the original video owner as the bad guys - those laws are in there to protect people who make stuff. (just like patents and copyrights protect Bomber Industries :) )

Ok, good info thanks Ken!

So even though you paint a pic in a public place, people can look at it, photograph it, but if I was using it in a movie for profit, I would have to get permission.

I'm not looking at lawyers as the bad guys, i'm just trying to figure it all out. i'm also not out to cheat anyone or steal anyone's info, just againg tyring to understand if the rules are that once you post it, it is public domain, i want to know that. If it's not, as you are saying, then I need to know that too.

Cool, now I know and just for the record, all of the images i have used so far in anything Bomber related has been with the permission of the owner and I try to give credit to that person in the finished product!

Thanks to everyone for your research and thoughts!

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License).

off topic facebook concerns but to me this sounds like the rumors I never cared to check since so far I managed to stay away from an account :eek: