Note to New Members ×

The new "Have you tried Lib C2btx" thread

carvin29

At the suggestion of boardski, I started a new topic on this. I'd like to get a board with magnetraction which basically means I have to get a lib or gnu. I could get a Rossi experience but don't really want to.

Anyone ridden the C2btx boards? Some people say they're good on groomer but I'm figuring they aren't too serious about arcing some nice turns. Having banana between the feet seems like it would ruin that. Thanks.

I've tried bananas w/magnetrac and the wavy edge does give a little extra bite that's beneficial for skidding on hard pack. Really great for spinning like a top on groom or pow.

As for camber from the binder to tip with rocker in the middle, seems like that works better for riding one end of the board or the other and spinning, i.e. jibbin the park, not so much for carving smooth arcs.

I don't like full rocker on skis or boards but haven't tried the C2.

Early rise tip & tail gives the benefit of rocker with the advantages of camber when carving the groom.

Most skis are going this route to keep some carvability on the hardpack

Everyone I Know that has a rossi expirience or Jones loves them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can attest to the carving ability of the camber profile, I have a Never Summer Raptor which is rockered between the feet with a cambered tip and tail, the same as the Lib.

They carve well, but just feel a little looser and more manoeverable.

The opposite profile feels as though you are riding a 120cm board at speed!

Just my personal opinion as a Trainer/Examiner, but I feel that the standard "Banana" is meant for those who need a skill 'equaliser' and want something super forgiving while the C2BTX profile is for those who can or want to ride the whole mountain with a more technical attitude.

Just wondered why the Magnatraction was such a deal-breaker for you? Again IMHO, it seems:

A) Designed for the East Coast freestylers or those Alaska- bound who never want to lose an edge on a vert face and

B) aimed at the same customer I mentioned before who is also not ever going to sharpen his edges, is already sliding around on a rockered board that doesn't track well, and needs help.

To me, that doesn't sound like you! If you know how to use edges properly AND keep your board well serviced, the Mag will give you great grip but also produce massive drag!

One of our ex-hard booter Full Certs found it overkill for someone with skills.

Never Summer, Arbor and Burton all have additional edge grip systems that are less obtrusive.

Anyway, signing off...it's snowing hard here and the resort opens tomorrow, got to get ready!

Well I ride on the east coast and last year was really impressed with the magne traction. Knowing I can trust my edges all the time was huge. I had a T6 previously and would slide all over the place when it got really icey.

You don't need magnetraction to get good grip on ice, you need a good tune and proper technique. If magnetraction really improved grip on ice, I'm sure that you'd have seen an alpine snowboard with magnetraction by now ... but there is no such thing. IMO ... magnetraction only serves to provide the impression of better grip for riders who don't tune and can't carve. I've never ridden one but what I've heard from carvers who have is that they track funny while carving and are noisy.

You don't need magnetraction to get good grip on ice, you need a good tune and proper technique. If magnetraction really improved grip on ice, I'm sure that you'd have seen an alpine snowboard with magnetraction by now ... but there is no such thing. IMO ... magnetraction only serves to provide the impression of better grip for riders who don't tune and can't carve. I've never ridden one but what I've heard from carvers who have is that they track funny while carving and are noisy.

Last season, I was shown how to get my ass over the edge. I could carve but put me on steeper terrain at speed and whooops...there goes my edge hold...I had not progressed my riding skills for more than ten years and in one 2-3 hr "instruction" from a long time and well respected carver, I tapped into a part of my riding that I may have spent a lifetime trying to find. I was able to find my edge in steep and adverse conditions just by playing with angles and modifying my approach/ entry and exit to my carves.

That said, I rode my buddies magnetraction travis rice model at the end of the year last year. With out my recent instruction, it would have had a similar affect to my riding however it would have done nothing to improve my skill level. I like to think of these boards as crutches for those with slarving injuries...If you want to carve a freestyle board, I mean really carve a freestyle board...These are not the answer. Every turn bit really well/scrubbing speed through every carve. It initiated easy but felt weird through the apex and felt more like a slarve through the exit.

Sorry, not my cup o' tea...I felt better on sloppy old flow bindings and my buckled burton custom...:eek:

• 3 weeks later...
Slopestar, I'm looking at a T. Rice- can you describe how it turns a little more? I have the impression these boards skid more than arc.

I don't have a raptor. I prefer traditional rocker/camber. I am currently softbooting on a 3 hole burton custom x 164. Next season, will be something custom from donek. See my cheesy phone videos below on a broken, 10th anniversary custom 162 from last season. Good luck!