Note to New Members ×

Mountain Bike Advice Needed...

NMU Alpine Boarder

Well, since there is a distinct lack of snow for most of the country in the Summer, I have entertained the idea of getting back into Mountain Biking... I started to get into biking back in 2002-03, but unfortunately had my bike ripped off just after going away to school... Since then, I really never had the money or time to reinvest in another setup of that quality (about $750-800 into a Specialized HR Comp)... Looked at getting a cheaper bike (about $300-400) but always balked at the the obvious quality differences between what I had and what I would get... Not sure if this would even be justified since I am still really a noobie, but it's just something that I couldn't shake...

Currently I have a chance to pro-deal a Diamondback bike through work... I work in the bike department at Dick's Sporting Goods, and being around bikes all the time has made me want to get back into it... With the deal being about 40-60% off retail, I am thinking this might be my chance to get back into it...

Just wondering what others' opinions of Diamondback bikes were... Obviously they are a "mass market" type of manufacturer... When dealing with an XC mountain bike, is there going to be a great difference in a bike from DB vs Specialized, Cannondale, Kona, etc. within a given price range?

Right now, I am really intrigued by the Diamnondback Overdrive line... Specifically the Overdrive Pro... I like the idea of a 29er for use on the street as well as the idea that I can roll over pretty much anything that trails in the Midwest are gonna throw at me... Reviews of the bike just seem to be scarce, hence why I am slow on the uptake here...

As always, BOL has smart folks who are willing to share ideas, so I am just curious if anyone has any input... Any good resources for bike reviews/info? Thanks :cool:

A couple reviews here that you may have already found.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/diamondback/overdrive-pro/prd_420880_1548crx.aspx

DB still makes good products. The Knucklebox full suspensions have received some favorable reviews since they came to market.

Use your discount and do it. Bikes are fun and now is a great time for biking with bike parks popping up all over the country.

Ink

I changed bike this year and ended up buying a FS 26... shoping for a new bike was a real pain. tried a few bikes and really disliked the 29ers. I didn`t like how slow it was to react and the handeling. my suggestion is if you can get to demos and try bikes it`s the best route.

I have no experience with DB, so, sorry, no comment on the brand...

29er's on the other hand, I have two. Both are hardtails, the main difference is the Cannondale is set-up as a 1x9 and the Felt is a 3x9. Both bikes are awesome. They both have short chainstays and relatively steep head angles, so the handling is very quick and responsive, but not twitchy. It takes a little bit longer to begin accelerating but once you get going it's great. The 29ers maintain speed better and roll down the trail better. Here in the Rocky Mountains, I do feel that the 29er is more sensitive to tire choice; I don't know if it's because of the leverage (wheel radius)/tire deflection being different or if I am maintaining a higher speed...

Definitely ride before you buy. Also remember that not all 29ers are the same. Geometry will substantially affect the way a bike rides (just like with boards). Basic dimensions such as head angle and chainstay length greatly affect handling.

29ers are not for everyone.

Not to stir the pot too much, but the 29er craze is often blinded by the realities of riding a big wheel. I started riding 29" wheels bacn when they were called 700c, ie road wheels. They've come a long way since the early 90's Bianchi Projects, better geometry, stronger rims, and better tires help make a 29" wheel more agile, but it's remains a tall wheel.

In practical terms, what a 29er means to an average rider is a less agile bike that requires more input on the trails when things get tight, but at the same time they do roll better and tend to be more stable in a straight line.

26" wheeled MTB continue to be the best choice for more most people for good reason: they work.

If you're a new rider or getting back into riding, consider your primary use first. So if you're going to do easy trails, some paved riding, just a fitness mountain bike, then a 29er is fine. But if you think you're going to end up pushing harder and your skills on trails are not "on", then a 26er is a better choice.

Bikes below a certian price break ($2500-3000) are all cut from teh same cloth, some minor geometry tweaks, but essentially you're buying the groupo (parts package). If you can afford it, I'd get an FS strictly for comfort, Mission or Sortie look like nice bikes for trail riding. The Hardtail will be lighter and cheaper, nice choice for road riding and all around biking, probably a better choice if you're not sure what you want, or if you'll upgrade once yo get in deeper.

40-60% off may be a good deal, depends on the MSRP, so look around and see if you can find better used or closeout. I just bought my wife a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FS Comp for $1000, never been ridden, retailed for $2500.