Note to New Members ×

Whistler/Blackcomb size comparisons

C5 Golfer

How many times have you been rained on at the base of Whister. Sure the mountain is huge technically but for most of the season it is worthless from mid station down. Also, if you subtract the flat runouts at Whistler/Blackcomb you don't quite reduce it to the size of Mountain Creek but it would take a good sized chunck out of the chart.

I think lift for lift, you can get a better experience on a snowboard at Mammoth. If we are talking about hamburgers and breakfast them I will take the gondola out of Whistler Village for the fresh tracks breakfast deal.

How many times have you been rained on at the base of Whister. Sure the mountain is huge technically but for most of the season it is worthless from mid station down. Also, if you subtract the flat runouts at Whistler/Blackcomb you don't quite reduce it to the size of Mountain Creek but it would take a good sized chunck out of the chart.

I think lift for lift, you can get a better experience on a snowboard at Mammoth. If we are talking about hamburgers and breakfast them I will take the gondola out of Whistler Village for the fresh tracks breakfast deal.

Even if the lower half is getting rain, it looks like the upper mountain would be more than enough to keep a rider happy?

Any comments on where to stay, what to ride, and getting the biggest bang for the buck would be appreciated.

I'm thinking I'd be OK with my Coiler AM 177. Is a decent percentage groomed? I have a decent size quiver of carving boards, but I'm considering bringing a soft boot set up also. Is it necessary?

Think Snow!!!

MT

Originally posted by Mike Tokar

Even if the lower half is getting rain, it looks like the upper mountain would be more than enough to keep a rider happy?

Any comments on where to stay, what to ride, and getting the biggest bang for the buck would be appreciated.

I'm thinking I'd be OK with my Coiler AM 177. Is a decent percentage groomed? I have a decent size quiver of carving boards, but I'm considering bringing a soft boot set up also. Is it necessary?

Think Snow!!!

MT

I ride my Coilder AM 177 up there often too. - Lots of groomed runs on both mountains - your pass is good for both. Most of the time I am on my Volkl 178 - 90% of the time. If I go Whistler I take two boards up with me on the Gondola. Board check is just of the unloading station and switch off as often I as I want. Blackcomb is a little more difficult since it is a 3 chair ride to the top to check your 2nd board. I find Blackcomb the better deal due to handling crowds a little better up top and the runs are a little more wide open to let the the board go WOT. Run of the day for me in good weather is top of Seventh Heaven around the hut to the glacier area across to the cat track that intersects with Ridge Runner down to Excaliber Chair - helluva long run and you can go as fast as you want on wide open groomed blue runs.

Places to stay is tough for me to suggest not knowing your likes and dislike but if you call the Whistler lodging 800 number they can help you alot since they will ask you all the info and just plug it into their data base - they are very helpful. One thing I might suggest for you is to get a place close by the bus route. The reason I say this they have a great free bus shuttle system and it give you the flexibility of stopping at the Whislter Village for the Whistler mountain but if you stay on one more stop it will take you to the less used Blackcomb Chair in Blackcomb village. I do not care for the Blackcomb Gondola out of the Village area - tooooo busy. When you are done for the day you have a short walk off the bus to your lodge. For food I suggest you try at least once the Brew House and have the 1/2 chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and excellent gravy -- it is wonderful.

If you get to the Blackcomb mountain early besure to try the learning area runs -- I say early before the newbies show -- with fresh snow it is a great ride on any hard boot set up. I no longer bring my soft set up there. Lots of rental places with premium boards for the but the best one is bring your soft boots and go to Prior's Factory and demo one of his fine free ride boards and or demo one of his WCR or 4X4 for a helluva ride. They are suberb people and Chis is a great guy to ride with.

If I can help in other ways -- email me glad to help if I can. I spend most of my time there.:cool:

My info on this is several years old but here goes.

There is a youth hostel in Whistler and it is on a bus line. It is a little ways from the slopes. I don't remember how long the bus ride is but the only time I took the bus was in a snow storm when I lost my car keys. The hostel is great with a well equiped kitchen. You can even get a private room (if available) if you have at least two people. My gf and I stayed in one although it was still bunk beds.

Additionally you can buy lift tickets for a discount at the hostel.

If you can afford it, stay in the village within walking distance of restaurants. The area near the big grocery store is nice but so is the whole town.

The "Fresh Tracks" thing which was mentioned in this thread is awesome. Buy a ticket (the previous day) for an early gondola ride up to midstation(starts about 6:30am) up to a huge breakfast buffet and then when ski patrol clears the mountain, you are the first to lay tracks. If it is snowing, do it.

If memory serves me correctly the hostel does not have a hot tub but that may have changed in the last 7 or so years since I stayed there. This, to me, would be a serious liability.